Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:04 am 

beat_truck wrote:
Again, NOT EVERYONE WANTS A NEW CAR. The OP wants a '62 Caddy, remember?

The "good new days" of cars aren't so good when the car with all the electronic wizardry has a problem after the warranty expires.

Ok, we get it...no need to shout :x . As for the electronics stuff, well it's been on cars for quite a while now, slowly increasing in density. Electronic engine controls? Since the 80's. Electronic ignition? Since the '60s. Computer controlled climate control? Since the 80's. Electronic gauges..my '87 BMW had an electronic speedometer, a rudimentary digital display in the center of the dash, a bunch of computer functions to calculate gas mileage, trip duration, etc. That was over 30 yrs ago. Yes, it gets more complex as years go by, but it's been around for quite a while. Getting free of all this stuff today means going back pretty far. Yes a 62 Caddy will probably do it, but I'm guessing you'll find some interesting mechanically complex features. I remember that one ofmy dad's older Caddy's had hydraulically operated power windows and a vacuum operated radio antenna. The windows were an absolute nightmare to keep working and the smell of hydraulic fluid was never completely gone from the inside.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 4:10 am 

OK. We should just get back to what the OP wants is all I was saying. NOT telling him why he shoudn't want it.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 5:29 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
fifties wrote:
I bought a slightly used 1970 Ford Maverick
convert the price of it to today's money and much more car is provided for the same cost. We may forget "the good days," for cars, as we are living in the good new days.

Couldn't prove it by me.

Once Detroit and Dearborn started introducing restyled bodies every year instead of every three (1957) we couldn't wait until late September to see the newest designs. Oh yeah, and these were cars we could actually work on; no computerized this or that, crank, not power windows, and no air conditioning except on the luxury models, just off the top of my head.
Bold, striking designs, tailfins, dual headlights, lotsa chrome, powerful V8 engines, factory sponsored stock car racing, I could go on, but I know this concept is most likely lost on you. It was a period of time in which you would have had to have lived, to understand.

IMHO the cars of today all look like meek Japanese knockoffs; even the American iron.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 6:39 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Also consider how much more you get for your money these days. Adjusting for inflation an $8,000 car in 1970 is the same price a one costing $50-some thousand today. The 1970 car would be unsafe in a wreck, far less able to avoid a wreck, would have terrible fuel mileage, and would be lacking many of the conveniences of the modern car (e.g. excellent navigation systems with excellent voice recognition).

What cars were $8000 in 1970??? Not any Ford or Chevy... Those were all I've driven and still same today...

fifties wrote:
I bought a slightly used 1970 Ford Maverick in 1970 for $1600. 3 on the tree, 6 cylinder, and it had a heater. Crank windows, Vinyl bench seats, and IIRC got somewhere around 20 mpg on regular grade, 24.9 cent gas. No power assists, as it was designed not to need them. It was a car for the times and functioned quite well. I even converted it to a floor shift.

For a navigation system, I used a Thomas Guide. :wink:

Those things drove like field trucks... Yes steering was easy, but ratio was so pitifully slow, 5½ turns lock to lock... Wear yourself out working one out of a tight spot... How do I know?? I have it sister, a '71 Comet parked out behind my garage... Was such a great car I junked it(though mainly because its rusty)... With V8 & P/S(gave faster ratio) they are nimble little cars... How do I know?? I have a loaded '72 Comet parked in my garage beside the '69 Cobra Jet...

Same with the Cobra Jet... From factory that car didn't have power steering either... In the 70s with new radial tires, I'd have argued that was best driving car on the road, in the '90s it was a field truck... After it mostly setting for the last 15 years and acclimating less than 1400 miles I installed P/S March of '17... Since April it's accumulated almost 1500 miles, all because it's now a decent driving car...

Last edited by 35Z5 on Jan Wed 17, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 6:58 am 

You could buy a herd of Pinto's for $8000 in 1970

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 7:01 am 

easyrider8 wrote:

Dave

Yeah they were advertised at $1919.00... No doubt a little talkin' could get one cheaper...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 8:12 am 

A local paper in 1969.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:40 pm 

Paid $3995,00 for a new 1970 Pontiac Lemans station wagon, probably be 7 times that today. I like everything about the newer cars of today. Great performance and comfort. I take out a 100K warrantee and by that time I usually have a new vehicle. You only live once and can't bring back the past with daily driven clunkers.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 10:15 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
easyrider8 wrote:

Dave

Yeah they were advertised at $1919.00... No doubt a little talkin' could get one cheaper...

December of '72, wife skidded out her '62 Dodge Dart over a curb, and was afraid to drive it again. So took some of the cash we were saving for a down payment on a house, and drove over to Leon Ames Ford, where they were advertising loss leaders.

When we got there they told us they had already sold "those". I pulled a wad of cash out of my pocket and commented on how that was too bad. Salesman drove us down the street, unlocked a gate, wherein musta sat 20 brand new '73 Pinto hatchbacks, and said, "pick one".

$1893 + tax & license, out the door. Bought a car radio from Olson Electronics for 20 bucks or so, and a stick-on-the-windshield antenna.

Four cylinder engine, and four on the floor, but it got her back and forth to her job as a tester at Marantz. ;)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 1:18 am 

Dodge Darts were never the epitome of find automobiles, but that Pinto took your wife down about three steps from the Dart.

My mother got a brand new 1965 Dart. I drove it at times. It suffered badly, but it had a 50,000 mile warranty. With the V8 engine in it and skinny 13 inch tires I could lay down a lot of rubber and make a lot of smoke. Turned out the rear end wasn't quite up to the rest. Blew it out twice. It was fixed twice.
One of those times lives on still. On film. I, my brother, a cousin and a mutual friend had been out at Lake Minnetonka water skiing for the day. We had my brother's boat on a trailer behind the dreaded Dart. (also referred to ad the Drat) I dropped my cousin off at his house. The street was on a hill. I told him to get his dad's movie cameral. I drove to the top of the hill. When I saw him out with the camera I let the car, and trailer, roll backward down the hill. Just after passing his driveway, I firewalled the engine with the clutch released (pedal down) Engine screaming, valves floating, I sidestepped the clutch pedal. This was supposed to be the burn out of a lifetime. NOT!
What you see on the film is the leaf springs wrapping up, the rear wheels begin to spin and smoke, and then suddenly everything just releases and the car stops. Oops!

Cousin got his car, towed the Dart, which towed the boat and we got the Dart home. We disconnected the boat and parked the Dart in the driveway ready to go and never said a word.
My mother came out later and tried to go somewhere.

My next words were something like, "No, it ran fine for me. We parked the boat and I moved it over here so you could get out" She called Hopkins Dodge and they towed it and it was fixed at zero cost to us.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 4:33 pm 

Was one thing majorly wrong with the early/mid '60s Darts, they were butt UGLY...

The restyle in '67 was quite pleasing...

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 5:44 pm 

Another thing wrong was they used a Dana 27 differential. Another thing wrong was it was a Dodge.
One thing nice is that it was a 4 speed manual with a Hurst shifter.
When my parents were looking for a car for my mother I advised them to buy the Plymouth Satellite with a Hemi and 4 speed. My mother wanted to drive a car with a stick because she always had.
The salesman said that the posi rear end would make it difficult to drive in winter (!!!) and that the engine was "too big for the car."
So they bought this crappy little Dart instead of the crappy big Plymouth that had some serious guts.
Later in life I had cars more powerful by far than that Mopar 426 car. Now all my cars are totally boring with traction control.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 7:23 pm 

After my father died in 1969, my mother had to learn how to drive and had to buy a car. I remember going to a Dodge or Plymouth dealership and finding that me and my three siblings simply did not fit into a Dart. I suggested she buy the larger convertible with the Hemi sitting on the showroom floor :). Had she, it is a valuable car today. However, it is downright primitive compared to modern cars, and the same money, adjusted for inflation, would buy a better car now, probably even faster. Our new BMW with a 183 cubic inch straight 6 with two turbochargers will beat many of the old muscle cars, especially if cornering and braking are involved. Even a humble Honda Accord or Toyota Camry is far, far better than those old things. It is downright amazing progress, and wonderful to be able to enjoy it. By the way, the Detroit Auto Show is on, and Ford is coming out with a new Cobra which will be able to run rings around an old one....

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 8:30 pm 

WE GET IT. What is this, about the 5th time you've stated that new cars are wonderful and old ones are garbage? :evil:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 9:24 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Our new BMW with a 183 cubic inch straight 6 with two turbochargers will beat many of the old muscle cars, especially if cornering and braking are involved. Even a humble Honda Accord or Toyota Camry is far, far better than those old things. It is downright amazing progress, and wonderful to be able to enjoy it.

beat_truck wrote:
WE GET IT. What is this, about the 5th time you've stated that new cars are wonderful and old ones are garbage? :evil:

LMAO! Every one is entitled to post their opinions, but his are not exactly addressing the OP's question. I don't think it will matter how many times it's pointed out that the OP wants some nostalgia in his next ride, that Stephen will continue promoting his new car ideals, which really have nothing to do with this thread. Oh well...

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 9:35 pm 

fifties wrote:
LMAO! Every one is entitled to post their opinions, but his are not exactly addressing the OP's question. I don't think it will matter how many times it's pointed out that the OP wants some nostalgia in his next ride, that Stephen will continue promoting his new car ideals, which really have nothing to do with this thread. Oh well...

I totally get stating an opinion. Both you and I did it. Maybe I did it more than necessary. But stating an opinion as fact half a dozen times while not really answering the OP's questions is bordering on TROLLING.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 9:56 pm 

beat_truck wrote:
TROLLING.

LOL, and this is why God made moderators, who apparently don't feel he's crossed any lines, yet. Now if his comments were about politics, hoo boy you just watch them pounce on it! :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 10:50 pm 

You know what's funny about those old Pintos? Well the 4-banger engines in them were apparently damned near indestructible. I have memories of being a kid and going with dad to the local dirt track. They would have one race where all of the cars were pintos and Vegas. ( this was in the 80's when they were still very common ) Anyway those pintos would just go and go and go some more. The sound was rather hilarious. They sounded like a horde of angry bees. I wound up talking to an old timer a few years ago who used to run stock cars and swore up and down the engine in the pinto was one of the better more rugged four bangers for track racing. The block could withstand a lot of abuse.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 11:29 pm 

The design of Lima 4 banger that came in Pinto was used a long time and didn't really even change that drastically over time. They were also in the Ford Ranger, Mustang, Fairmont, T-Bird Turbo Coupe, and Merkur XR4Ti. The Ranger used them until 2001, I believe. I had one in my '91 Ranger. It was a turd, but it was nearly indestructible.

The basic design of Cologne v6 in the Pinto dated back to 60s. It kept getting updated in design and size and was used in the Ranger until 2011 when they stopped making them, and maybe longer in the Explorer. I had the 2.9 variant in my Bronco II. I didn't have any real trouble with it, but they were known for clattering lifters (which mine had a mild case of :) ), low oil pressure, and cracked heads.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 1:52 am 

I rebuilt one of the V6 engines in my brother in-law's Mustang II. What a complicated cooling system!

I think you guys are missing a key part of what I'm doing to respond regarding the old Cadillac. It costs lots of money to work on old cars, and that same money can yield a much more enjoyable experience.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next