Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 18, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 6:38 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Quote:
Who the hell would want front wheel drive unless it's the only option?

Well... this is a weird comparison but my buddy bought a 73' Cadillac Eldorado convertible and for that generation they were using the same chassis as the Oldsmobile Toronado, which was FWD, a first for GM. Anyway... I was sort of dismissive of it until I actually drove it. Compared to my own RWD boat it handled amazingly well... much better than mine. It had much better steering response and was easier to get into and out of corners with. RWD really didn't come back into common use in sports cars and luxury yachts until more recently because by then things like computer controlled traction control and better suspension systems allowed for one to have the nice torque of a RWD car without the squirrely handing the old cars like mine have.

Never drove a Eldorado of that vintage, but I have driven tons of Toronado's... the company I worked for had a fleet of them. They handle just about how you would expect from front wheel drive. If you live in an area where you never get snow, or not very much, and drive like ma going to the grocery store, you'd never know the difference.
If you like to push the limits, or have to drive on snow packed roads or ice, they SUCK.
All wheel drive is nice - very nice. But it takes a lot more power to move the vehicle because of road friction against four wheels that really aren't always rotating in sync. Fuel mileage suffers and so does performance from not only the above said friction but because of the huge excess weight. Plus, it's not easy to 'whip **deleted**' or leave a pair of black stripes on the road. No fun.
But they do hold the road well. Yet, just about all auto racing is rear wheel drive. There are several reasons for that. The main one is handling Yes, front wheel drive will get you there, but it's no fun in the snow. Been there, done that! Notice where I live.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 9:51 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
fifties wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Me being in a younger generation find zero problems with newer cars.

Umm, hoffies old boy, I always thought that you were one of us antiques, as in 80 something?

Aww fifties, ya got me, makes me feel good to say the younger generation though.

Eh eh, reminds me of a '60's expression; "if it feels good, do it!" :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 12:38 am 

His Cadillac is definitely not the fastest thing I've ever driven. It's got a absolutely massive engine under the hood and yet only puts out about 200 some odd horse power. And as you would expect the car itself is really heavy. But I will give it kudos for being one of the few big boat American cars that was front wheel drive

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 2:36 am 

Thanks, all, for all the replies. I haven't responded since I'm still shaken up by something that happened last Tuesday. I was running the snowblower across the parking lot at work, where I ended up getting clipped by the Ford F-250 company truck my brother was backing up in the lot, which I didn't see, having a hood on which limited my peripheral vision and hearing. My knee got bumped and the snowblower got knocked on its side. Had I gone just inches further, I would have been dead, most assuredly. My brother, who was the driver of the F-250, lost his license due to alcoholism. I consider myself very fortunate to have survived. So as of this moment I have no reservations as to buying a '62 Caddy in a few years and driving it to work in the warm months. I plan to ask my mechanics if they know of any Cadillac "gurus" that can guide me.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 22, 2018 6:28 am 

I'm glad you are mostly OK. :shock:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8