Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1962 Cadillac for my next car, pipe dream or possibility
PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 11:23 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
Why would you want a 50 year old car,

my 1941 Plymouth

So 50 years is questionable, but 77 is OK? :wink:

This be, how you say, a dichotomy? :shock:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 1:50 am 

fifties wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Why would you want a 50 year old car,

my 1941 Plymouth

So 50 years is questionable, but 77 is OK? :wink:

This be, how you say, a dichotomy? :shock:

Noooo, that was my first car in 1949, nothing like the technology of today giving us 200,000 miles +. In my early years 90,000-100,000 meant buying a short block and engine change. Oil burners common.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 10:30 am 

hoffies2 wrote:
Oil burners common.

Eh eh, ain't that the truth. My first was a '54 Ford Mainliner that ran when it felt like it and smoked like a locomotive.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 4:30 pm 

fifties wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:
Oil burners common.

Eh eh, ain't that the truth. My first was a '54 Ford Mainliner that ran when it felt like it and smoked like a locomotive.

Next car was a 1949 Ford flat head which I ran back and forth from Ft. Benning, Ga. At that time no major highways, run straight through to Ct., 22 hours. I warped the heads twice, but that's the way it was with the technology.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 4:52 pm 

Yes, engines usually used to begin burning oil before 100K miles and it got really bad after about 90K.
But if you want longer life from the same engine today, you can use modern piston ring technology along with forged pistons and get the same sort of piston ring life as modern engines. In other words, same engine but with an upgrade. Not hugely expensive either if you do it yourself, and no, it's not rocket science.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 10:02 pm 

Also consider how much more you get for your money these days. Adjusting for inflation an $8,000 car in 1970 is the same price a one costing $50-some thousand today. The 1970 car would be unsafe in a wreck, far less able to avoid a wreck, would have terrible fuel mileage, and would be lacking many of the conveniences of the modern car (e.g. excellent navigation systems with excellent voice recognition).

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 10:31 pm 

Not all old cars were bad on fuel, and not everybody WANTS a new car with all of the automated electronic crap that they have. :roll:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:03 pm 

BTW, in 1962, a 1962 Cadillac was a daily driver if you get my drift.

Today, I started my 1965 Corvair Monza, no problem and my 1969 Kaiser Jeep M715 military truck. Both started immediately and and could be a daily driver if I had to...

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:18 pm 

I don't think the O.P. was all that interested in how much he can get for his dollars. He seems to have wanted to have a vintage car. Nothing more, nothing less.
Not all of us pinch every penny to make sure we get the most of whatever. Sometimes we just follow our dreams. I think that's what he wants to do in this case.
And for crying out loud, I wish everyone would quite whining about how dangers those cars are... They aren't nearly as 'dangerous' as people here are making them out to be. The biggest factor on being safe on the highway is to know how to drive properly. That most of the population in this set of discussion forums seems to be well over 50, some into their 80's or more I'm sure, they've all lived through the age of the cars that are now being bashed as dangerous. How did they manage to live through all those years? Truly, most wrecks back in the day were due to two things - Way too much to drink Saturday night and an inability to control a motor vehicle. The cars themselves were good enough to get the job done.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:26 pm 

I agree with most of Mark has said in this discussion.

New vehicles are great, but old ones were NOT that bad if maintained.

I daily drove my '83 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup until they started dumping salt on the road at the end of fall. The 225 slant six and 3 speed automatic transmission in it are virtually the same as the ones dating back to the 60s. And the truck is essentially the same back to '73 or so. I did do some maintenance work such as replacing all the belts and hoses, replacing the fuel pump, and rebuilding the carburetor. It could still use a few more little things fixed. It may not be speedy, but I got 18-19 mpg most of the time in combined town/country road/highway driving. Not bad for a carbureted vehicle with no overdrive and the aerodynamics of a refrigerator. :lol: What does a new $35K+ gasoline half ton with 5 computers and a 20 speed automatic get? 22 mpg at best on the highway? :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 12:07 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Also consider how much more you get for your money these days. Adjusting for inflation an $8,000 car in 1970 is the same price a one costing $50-some thousand today. The 1970 car would be unsafe in a wreck, far less able to avoid a wreck, would have terrible fuel mileage, and would be lacking many of the conveniences of the modern car (e.g. excellent navigation systems with excellent voice recognition).

I bought a slightly used 1970 Ford Maverick in 1970 for $1600. 3 on the tree, 6 cylinder, and it had a heater. Crank windows, Vinyl bench seats, and IIRC got somewhere around 20 mpg on regular grade, 24.9 cent gas. No power assists, as it was designed not to need them. It was a car for the times and functioned quite well. I even converted it to a floor shift.

For a navigation system, I used a Thomas Guide. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 12:14 am 

beat_truck wrote:
I agree with most of Mark has said in this discussion.

New vehicles are great, but old ones were NOT that bad if maintained.

I daily drove my '83 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup until they started dumping salt on the road at the end of fall. The 225 slant six and 3 speed automatic transmission in it are virtually the same as the ones dating back to the 60s. And the truck is essentially the same back to '73 or so. I did do some maintenance work such as replacing all the belts and hoses, replacing the fuel pump, and rebuilding the carburetor. It could still use a few more little things fixed. It may not be speedy, but I got 18-19 mpg most of the time in combined town/country road/highway driving. Not bad for a carbureted vehicle with no overdrive and the aerodynamics of a refrigerator. :lol: What does a new $35K+ gasoline half ton with 5 computers and a 20 speed automatic get? 22 mpg at best on the highway? :wink:

You are SO right!

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 2:36 am 

Mark D wrote:
I don't think the O.P. was all that interested in how much he can get for his dollars. He seems to have wanted to have a vintage car. Nothing more, nothing less.
Not all of us pinch every penny to make sure we get the most of whatever. Sometimes we just follow our dreams. I think that's what he wants to do in this case.
And for crying out loud, I wish everyone would quite whining about how dangers those cars are... They aren't nearly as 'dangerous' as people here are making them out to be. The biggest factor on being safe on the highway is to know how to drive properly. That most of the population in this set of discussion forums seems to be well over 50, some into their 80's or more I'm sure, they've all lived through the age of the cars that are now being bashed as dangerous. How did they manage to live through all those years? Truly, most wrecks back in the day were due to two things - Way too much to drink Saturday night and an inability to control a motor vehicle. The cars themselves were good enough to get the job done.

They lived through those days with 45 MPH speed limit, few highways and courteous drivers. The cars depending on size had NO protection compared to today.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:17 am 

hoffies2 wrote:
The cars depending on size had NO protection compared to today.

So what? There are risks in EVERYTHING in life.

You want to talk no protection? People ride motorcycles every day. :shock: They understand the risks and do it anyways.

How many times is the same crap going to be stated over and over? :roll:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:32 am 

45 mph speed limit? On a city street maybe. I can't speak for where you were, but around here in the mid 50's - when I first became aware of speed limit signs - the normal speed limit on a state highway was 65. TODAY on those same roads the speed limit is generally 55, although the state has grudgingly raised the speed limit on some two lane roads to 60.
All freeways through the Twin Cities are 55. A few areas on outstate freeways have gone back to the original 70 back when the freeways were first built.

I sort of doubt it was speed limits. I would say that there were fewer cars on the roads in those days. That would explain a lot.
Never the less, nobody has to crash. Yes, there is sometimes the errant driver coming from the other direction that suddenly swerves right into a car coming from the other way, but that's pretty rare. It does happen.

The worst is when high school children get their provisional drivers license and start driving to school. Then they pick up all their buddies and head for school only to slip and slide on a snow packed road and wind up sliding broadside into a car from the other way. But an old car or new car, no matter - they're dead either way. How do I know? Because it usually happens several times every year unless we don't get snow. All the safety stuff they've stuffed into cars really gives only a small assist on surviving a brutal wreck. The best idea is to teach people how to drive before they get their license. But that's never going to happen.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:36 am 

fifties wrote:
I bought a slightly used 1970 Ford Maverick
convert the price of it to today's money and much more car is provided for the same cost. We may forget "the good days," for cars, as we are living in the good new days.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:43 am 

Just like radios. Those old things were prone to burning houses down. lots of curtain burners, but also cords that frayed and shorted and other things. Radios today are SO much more safe. We really should never consider turning on a radio that's more than ten years old. And with all the new technology, a new AM radio certainly will sound much better than an old console from 1934.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:45 am 

Again, NOT EVERYONE WANTS A NEW CAR. The OP wants a '62 Caddy, remember?

The "good new days" of cars aren't so good when the car with all the electronic wizardry has a problem after the warranty expires.

Last edited by beat_truck on Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:50 am 

My dad had a '63 Caddy Fleetwood. In fact, it was a limo, and he used it to haul around his wife and 8 kids. It was a pretty luxurious car and I had a chance to drive it when I got my license. It was floaty, slow to respond and had very light steering and grabby brakes. I was most impressed with the Wonderbar radio that had controls in the back. I was always into "small" so my first car was a '65 Beatle. Yeah, it mostly sucked, but I loved it and it was cheap to run and always started.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:54 am 

The new plastic radios are usually not very good, and the old radios often look good. There are plenty of good looking new cars. Even an inexpensive new car is far better in every way than most of the old ones. The golden age of radios may have been in the 1930s, but the golden age of cars is now.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 145 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next