Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Modern plumbing seems to also be garbage
PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 2:57 am 

easyrider8 wrote:
Cute but not quite my style.

Dave
Check Mayfair for a huge variety of styles. If you have not yet used them, you may be delighted at the variety and prices.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 10:11 am 

Whenever I have to have a faucet replaced at one of my rentals, it's usually the cheapest I can get at Home Depot (given that I'm so tight I squeak). Genuine Chinese plastic, but so far, NP with any of them.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Attachment:
Moen.jpg
Moen.jpg [ 14 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

As mentioned earlier. They honor their warranty. I had a Moen faucet leak and they sent me a new one for free.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 4:29 am 

I stick with Delta's Diamond Seal faucets. They are made in USA (still). My kitchen's Delta faucet (one of the ones with their well-known "gearshift"-looking handle) needed only one set of seals replaced in 25 years since I bought the house.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 4:20 pm 

Delta is not an exactly premium brand, but we have had excellent service with our Delta fixtures, which are going on 18 years.

When they do leak, I pick up the phone and they send free replacement cartridge parts which are easily installed in about 10 minutes for both hot and cold sides. They even replaced a fixture handle at no cost that I had damaged the setscrew on.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 4:47 pm 

Well, the NOS faucet came in the mail yesterday. When I removed the old one it was amazing that the hardware holding it in was made out of plain, zinc plated stuff and it had rusted so badly that I had to almost destroy it to get it out of there. Obviously a sign of how crappy stuff has gotten. The "New" one is made of solid, heavy brass with brass fittings. It went in easily and works great. Yeah, its not going to win any beauty contests but as far as I'm concerned, who cares? Besides my wife likes it thus double bonus for me.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 6:25 pm 

beat_truck wrote:
Our local Walmart carries new faucets in their hardware section. I shudder even thinking about how horrible they must be. :shock: I did buy a shower head there, only because it takes 30 seconds to change, but even as cheap as I am, I'd never even think about buying a faucet from Wally World.

I forget what brand they were, but I bought two faucets with the metal spigot that swiveled and until the trailer was hit by a tree last January they worked flawlessly. They were in use a total of maybe 4-6 years and only required the occasional tightening of the handles.

Would they last 30+ years? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 6:32 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

I have installed an 8" sink (swing spout) faucet on a lav a few times for customers. Unusual but functional.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

Just replaced my kitchen faucet and I have to agree with all the above. I got a "medium priced" Delta from Menards. It seemed to be the best of the junk that all the box houses offer. "Brushed Nickel" .... seemingly brushed over plastic. Ok, that is sarcasm lol ... but the entire fauced weighs about as much as one handle off my old one. Lightweight, cheap construction. The aforementioned junk plastic sprayer hose with a correspondingly junk sprayer head. I shopped around for a "replacement" hose and handle, found a more flexible hose, but the handles are all the same junk.

I wish I'd saved the old Chicago from my dad's estate <sigh>. I DO second the beefy construction of the commercial "restaurant grade" faucets, having owned a restaurant once by accident, and they will last forever. And are rebuildable. But they are not "brushed nickel" nor do they have the lines of modern art. Oh well.

You get what you pay for. Sometimes.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 8:36 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
beat_truck wrote:
Our local Walmart carries new faucets in their hardware section. I shudder even thinking about how horrible they must be. :shock: I did buy a shower head there, only because it takes 30 seconds to change, but even as cheap as I am, I'd never even think about buying a faucet from Wally World.

I forget what brand they were, but I bought two faucets with the metal spigot that swiveled and until the trailer was hit by a tree last January they worked flawlessly. They were in use a total of maybe 4-6 years and only required the occasional tightening of the handles.

Would they last 30+ years? I doubt it.

That's not bad. I wouldn't have thought they would have lasted that long.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 4:22 am 

Agreed not bad at all.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2