Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Art Work From Human Powered Jukebox
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 1:13 pm 

Here are some pics of some jukebox advertising mirrors we just acquired. My pictures are terrible since the mirrors pick up reflections from everywhere. Part of a jukebox system from many years ago. Customer used telephone or microphone to talk to a young lady and request a record be played. A lady or ladies were in a remote location or basement, backroom etc. with phonograph turntables. They would play your request. A human powered jukebox. The artwork glows beautifully when lighted.
I think some of the mirror silvering could be improved if I found a plastic film that had a mirror side and covered the areas where the original silvering has failed. The next concern is how to stop the loss of more of the silvering. I thought a spray clearcoat of something might do it. I just wondered if anyone had other ideas?

https://imageshack.com/i/pn4kWJcMj

https://imageshack.com/i/po1f1YRTj

https://imageshack.com/i/pmcL9fUGj

Last edited by juke47 on Jan Wed 17, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Art Work From Human Powered Jukebox
PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 1:42 pm 

Your links do not work they take us to image shack log in.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 2:27 pm 

Opps! Sorry! Links should now work. Thank You for letting me know!!!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 2:31 pm 

Those are nice. I bet the operators did not look like the paintings!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Have a piece of mirror cut the same size and sandwich the two together.

There is a Kay Kyser movie that has a scene where the call a lady to play a record. Don't remember which one.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 17, 2018 11:52 pm 

They had a system vaguely like that (minus the graphics) when I went to college in the late '60s. There was a room in the Student Union where they had several (3?) Garrard manual turntables and a bunch of records. I don't remember how one chose the record but you would ask the girl at the counter to play your choice. Then you would go into a "listening room" where the speaker was located. There were chairs (and probably tables) where you could study while the music played. If anyone else wanted to hear the same record, they could join you.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 1:59 pm 

I studied up on the possibility of adding a mirror to the back side. That would work well but I would need to remove the silvering from the back of the added mirror exactly where the girl's face is. When light is shined on the back of the mirror the airbrushed image lights up or glows so beautifully. The added mirror would block the light. I was thinking, perhaps, something like a highly reflective window tint film. The backs have a heavy paper covering that has an adhesive holding it onto the mirror everywhere except the artist's image. I think if I disturb that it will remove more of the silvering. In the end I will probably not do anything except brush the dirt and dust from the backside with a very soft brush.

I tried a small array of LEDs and they seem to light the image beautifully. I am thinking some 12 volt strips such as Home Depot has. The would be cooler than installing incandescent or some pieces of neon I have. I like the low voltage thought too and no heavy neon transformer/high voltage.

Thanks Everyone! There will be pictures when, if I get this done with my limited (nil) talent for wood working, for the frames!

Here is another type of glass from a "Human Operated Jukebox" that I have had for years.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmfV27EDj

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 2:29 pm 

i seem to recall a murder mystery that involved a human powered juke box , where the operator overheard the planned murder or some such like that.