Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for a new water heater.
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 10:25 pm 

Well wouldn't you know it; I just did my taxes and was pretty pleased about getting some money back, only to be greeted with a small puddle of water at the water heater. It has started to leak. Right now I'd say it's leaking about 4 ounces or so a day. I guess I'll be picking up a new one in the morning and hoping I can line up the flu, water and gas line without too much aggravation. I can't complain though; it's a 40 gallon Rheem with 28 years on it.

Post subject: Re: Time for a new water heater.
PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 10:33 pm 

I am waiting for ours to go out so we can get a tankless. The electric is there and of course the water. Huge space will be left to fill up!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 10:38 pm 

CROSSBOLT wrote:
I am waiting for ours to go out so we can get a tankless. The electric is there and of course the water. Huge space will be left to fill up!

We just did that, money well spent. If you are lucky enough to have natural gas it is a good move. Ours is 199,000 BTU condensing unit, endless hot water very quick. I picked up so much room without the 40 gallon Amtrol tank.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 10:43 pm 

I think I'm just going to replace it with the exact same one. The big box store has it for $599 with a 12 year warranty.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 12:51 am 

DarrenWGaransi wrote:
I think I'm just going to replace it with the exact same one. The big box store has it for $599 with a 12 year warranty.

Definitely will need to do some work to get it to fit. Depending on the size they have added more insulation to make it more energy efficient. Just replaced mine last year, and the plumber had to redo the stack, and the gas line.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 12:55 am 

And don't forget your 10% discount for Vets at Lowes.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 1:12 am 

I've been very happy with my 40 gallon Bradford White gas water heater, and except for the controls, it's entirely made in Michigan.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 1:37 am 

Darren wrote: "I guess I'll be picking up a new one in the morning and hoping I can line up the flu, water and gas line without too much aggravation".

I"m guessing that you're picking up another low boy gas water heater so there really shouldn't be any problem. Some or all of the new gas water heaters already have the galvanized nipples already built in so you likely won't have to pick up any of those at your hardware store.

In my case, I have a half basement, and the Bradford White gas water heater is actually resting on a 25 degree incline. As such, I haven't had a plumber yet who volunteered to install a water heater for me. In fact, in the case of the Bradford White, I had to disconnect the old gas water heater, lug it up the steps myself, and dispose of it. Then I had to borrow my father's car and trailer, and pick up the Bradford White gas water heater at the local plumbing shop. After arriving back home, I had to lug the Bradford White 40 gallon gas water heater downstairs, level it all up perfectly, and connect the piping back up. Even though I installed several of these gas water heaters already, I never did cherish the job.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:09 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
Darren wrote: "I guess I'll be picking up a new one in the morning and hoping I can line up the flu, water and gas line without too much aggravation".

I"m guessing that you're picking up another low boy gas water heater so there really shouldn't be any problem. Some or all of the new gas water heaters already have the galvanized nipples already built in so you likely won't have to pick up any of those at your hardware store.

In my case, I have a half basement, and the Bradford White gas water heater is actually resting on a 25 degree incline. As such, I haven't had a plumber yet who volunteered to install a water heater for me. In fact, in the case of the Bradford White, I had to disconnect the old gas water heater, lug it up the steps myself, and dispose of it. Then I had to borrow my father's car and trailer, and pick up the Bradford White gas water heater at the local plumbing shop. After arriving back home, I had to lug the Bradford White 40 gallon gas water heater downstairs, level it all up perfectly, and connect the piping back up. Even though I installed several of these gas water heaters already, I never did cherish the job.

Why would a plumber or anyone else "volunteer" to do all that work. Now if you were to offer to pay the plumber... :wink: That's the only way I've ever been able to get water heaters replaced (or any other plumbing repair done).

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:11 am 

I just had to have a new one put in my rental house. The 40 gal. water heater cost $625, but with labor, fittings and permit fee, the total came to $1166...ouch! It was a 2 man job due to the water heater being in the basement with steep steps.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:18 am 

I have two water heaters, one for the main part of the house and a separate one for the master suite. I never cared for the forced induction gas water heater in the master suite and I replaced it with an 80 gallon Westinghouse Electric 6 years ago and I am happy with the change. Modern gas water heaters have become far more complex with the new mandated safety features and I decided a nice simple electric heater was a good choice. I have been happy with it and when my now 27 year old Rheem gas gives up it will be replaced with a similar large electric model.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:22 am 

Well, I will know tomorrow. The one I plan on buying will be another Rheem and it looks almost the same as the one that I'm replacing, also a Rheem. I'm sure I might have to do some pipe work with the copper but that's not so hard. The old water heater has black pipe right to the gas valve but if necessary I can use a flex line. I'm just glad the leak which is very slight right now happened while I wasn't away for the weekend or at work. Could be worse.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:28 am 

Replace it yourself it isn't hard at all the worst part is the removal of the old one just replace all parts with new ones.

I just replaced mine and did it myself without any problems and spent a little under $500.00 and bought what I needed from Lowe's.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 4:09 am 

rsingl wrote:
I have two water heaters, one for the main part of the house and a separate one for the master suite. I never cared for the forced induction gas water heater in the master suite and I replaced it with an 80 gallon Westinghouse Electric 6 years ago and I am happy with the change. Modern gas water heaters have become far more complex with the new mandated safety features and I decided a nice simple electric heater was a good choice. I have been happy with it and when my now 27 year old Rheem gas gives up it will be replaced with a similar large electric model.

Rodger WQ9E

so you maintain a 120 gallons of hot water 24 hrs a day, at what temperature? Have you calculated costs?
I need a new 40, tall normal size. Looking at consumer reports reviews, few yrs old, they recommended a tank
as more efficient than tankless, (minus the endless flow of how water at great energy consumption) I turn down the water pressure while soaping
and scrubbing, then turn it up to rinse off, why blast full water pressure down the drain?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 5:05 am 

glue_ru wrote:

so you maintain a 120 gallons of hot water 24 hrs a day, at what temperature? Have you calculated costs?
I need a new 40, tall normal size. Looking at consumer reports reviews, few yrs old, they recommended a tank
as more efficient than tankless, (minus the endless flow of how water at great energy consumption) I turn down the water pressure while soaping
and scrubbing, then turn it up to rinse off, why blast full water pressure down the drain?

The newer water heaters have excellent insulation so the heat loss during non-use is minimal. The key is minimizing hot water usage and low flow shower heads, efficient washers, and dish washers are the key. I looked at tankless when I replaced the gas water heater and wasn't convinced of the benefits. If you are space limited and need a continuous limited flow supply they are the ticket.

The only negative I have found with the replacement electric is the insulation is so good the top is barely warm to the touch. I used to use the top of the gas water heater for letting dough rise in the winter but the electric doesn't give off enough waste heat. I could use the older gas water heater but the cats have access to that basement and bread dough and cats are a bad mix.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 6:43 am 

If the box containing the new water heater comes says "this end up" it might be wise to pay strict attention to that. I was told that water heaters are lined with glass. When they are carried horizontally, that puts ever so slight flexure, but strain enough to crack the interior glass. Over time water seeps in the cracks and causes premature rusting.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 2:50 pm 

The older design of gas water heaters with a standing pilot were dead simple and very reliable. This design only needs connections for gas, flue, and water lines

The new designs with burner igniters and and draft induction blowers rely on a electric power and a controller to operate, which just adds another layer of complexity, all in the name of better efficiency. Its very similar to what they have done to furnaces and other home appliances.

Personally, I prefer the older, simpler design of water heaters.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:23 pm 

Keep your warrantee paperwork and receipt (after scanning a copy to your financial documents) close to your water heater. They don't make them like they used to. My last one expired two weeks before the warrantee so I was able to get a replacement at no additional cost. I keep my original paperwork in a sheet protector, hanging from a beam in the basement next to the water heater so I don't have to search for it but I can always print a copy from my computer if needed.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 3:44 pm 

fifties wrote: "Why would a plumber or anyone else "volunteer" to do all that work. Now if you were to offer to pay the plumber... :wink: That's the only way I've ever been able to get water heaters replaced (or any other plumbing repair done)"

I was using that quite figuratively. During the late 1980's, and again in the late 1990's, a plumber would arrive with a gas water heater, and he and I would lug it down the steep basement steps. Afterwards, both of the plumbers were relieved after I told them that I would be installing the water heater. In fact, the second plumber actually told me: Quote: "I'm glad that you're doing this, and not me". Unquote. With that 25 degree incline, I can't say that I blame either of them.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 21, 2018 4:55 pm 

processhead wrote:
The older design of gas water heaters with a standing pilot were dead simple and very reliable. This design only needs connections for gas, flue, and water lines

The new designs with burner igniters and and draft induction blowers rely on a electric power and a controller to operate, which just adds another layer of complexity, all in the name of better efficiency. Its very similar to what they have done to furnaces and other home appliances.

Personally, I prefer the older, simpler design of water heaters.

me too, I like having a standing pilot flame, it keeps the moisture down in the water heater cave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next