Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 9:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Antique Radio Shipping Damage Repair Estimate
PostPosted: Feb Sat 10, 2018 6:02 pm 

telegrapher wrote:
The "accepted standard" of vulnerability with FedEx and UPS is considered as a drop of 4 feet to concrete.

Wow!

Perhaps they should design a banner with a slogan:

"At USP we high standards. We drop your packages from a height of 4 feet onto a concrete surface."

I wouldn't bury this in the fine print. I would definitely advertise it as a service paid for my the customers.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 2:12 am 

It's well known to most radio collectors, who pack and ship accordingly. Unfortunately, this is why it's a huge gamble to purchase something that could be broken from a seller who either doesn't actively ship a lot of vintage electronics, or is unwilling to pack and ship following explicit directions provided by the buyer.

We had a shop tech who came to us back in the 1990's after working for many years at a major shipper's distribution center while in college. He said they actually had sorters who straddle or stand on a platform on the side of those raised conveyor belts and kick the packages off to land on the floor below, or onto a conveyor which was lower than the main one and went somewhere else. Of course some of them didn't land on that other conveyor as they were supposed to. He said depending on what point in the conveyor system you are talking about, the drop could sometimes be as much as 6 feet to the floor.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 6:58 am 

I guess this must be what they call "drop shipping."

You are right. My seller did not want to pack the radio exactly as I had asked him to do. That is one part of the problem. The other part of the problem is the attitude of the people we pay to handle our packages.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 11, 2018 7:22 pm 

It's difficult to find an inner box that will fit inside another box, and still be adequate for shipping the item. That's why I stock over a hundred boxes; it takes up a lot of room in my garage but my buyers are happy.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 6:13 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
"I will try to get paid for the total insured value, which was 500 Euros and try to convince the insurer to let me keep the radio, because its value is more than what it was insured for and also because it would be a shame to scrap the parts that might have some value for any future repairs."

What's the outcome? I see you are fixing this radio? in another thread. I understand your desire for it and have had the same feeling about worth versus cost paid. But any damaged item I ever had and insured I couldn't collect insurance and keep it.

Bill J.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 8:19 pm 

NumberMaj 1 wrote:
...What's the outcome? I see you are fixing this radio? in another thread...

I literally just got back from the post office.

This is my local post office. I know a few people there by name and am always on friendly terms.

The supervisor sent my mail carrier to inspect the damage, the package and take photos. She also did all the paperwork for me and just gave me a written statement that all was inspected, documented, filed and that I should hear from the International Claims Department in 7 to 10 days.

Now let's see what happens.

I started fixing the radio and am taking photos. For clarity I think I should start another thread dedicated to fixing this unit. I have very little to contribute to this forum in terms of electronics, so the least I can do is to make a thread that might help others with similar issues in the future. I'll probably start the new thread in a few days after I have enough progress to report.

And of course, once there is an outcome to the insurance claim I should also update this thread. Hopefully I will be compensated.

Thank you all...

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 10:47 pm 

I think you're taking it all in stride and willing to retain and restore the radio's value, at least to yourself, if not the ideal of preserving an original radio intact, since that's obviously no longer possible.

We've shipped delicate fossils going on three decades. It's always a crapshoot. I liken it to sending the kids off to summer camp, they will probably be safe, but still you worry till you hear all is well.

We don't normally insure, unless the customer requests it. Even then, I recall only once or twice we filed a claim for damage. I quit using UPS over one dispute, details of which I won't go into here. I tend to think an insured or too many "fragile" stickers actually invite shipper abuse.

What we do in the event of damage is either instruct the customer in repairs, or have them ship it back and we restore the damage and pay freight both ways back to us and the return. Hopefully your seller will step up in a similar fashion.

I applaud your effort to make lemonade from a lemon by making a cabinet repair thread out of it. Good luck with it!

-Ed

Post subject: Re: Repair of a Badly Damaged (in shipping) Tefifon T574
PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:08 pm 

Greetings,

This thread was initially about seeking a repair estimate for a badly damaged radio. The thread evolved and I changed the title, as I am going to be documenting my repair progress.

To avoid having people go back to the initial post on the first page, I am going to first show some of the photos of the damaged radio.

Attachment:
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg [ 78.38 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0232.jpg [ 62.82 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0302.jpg [ 156.84 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg [ 85.43 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg [ 77.46 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg [ 62.56 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg [ 74.64 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg [ 55.19 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]

Next I'll be showing my repair efforts.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:24 pm 

First step was to gut the radio and continue working with the empty shell.

Attachment:
IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg [ 95.93 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

Here is how I solved the broken particle board rear corners. I let the glue seep into the cracks while giving it a few squeezes, then clamped.

I also used wax paper, so that the clamping blocks do not get stuck to the shell.

Attachment:
IMG_0374.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg [ 91.51 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

Next day I used liquid super glue (the wicking type) to saturate some other parts of the weakened particle board, where the wood glue would not penetrate. I used activator to make the super glue cure in 10 seconds, so I could remove the clamps soon after. Here is the result.

Attachment:
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg [ 62.02 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

I used the same techniques on the opposite corner. I found all the loose pieces inside the radio.

Attachment:
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg [ 62.39 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

Due to the fact that the foot of the radio was still glue to the bottom I had to cut a space in the clamping piece. I noticed that this foot had been glued by someone in the past, a bit crooked. I left it as is.

Attachment:
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg [ 78.24 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:30 pm 

Fixing the particle board at the rear corners turned out not to be a big deal. It isn't "perfect" but it is fixed, now, and it's in a place no one is likely to look. There was some previous damage there, too, anyway.

The bigger challenge was fixing the veneered particle board of the top tray, where the Tefi player is situated.

Attachment:
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg [ 58.68 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

But I managed to get the wood glue into the cracks, reattached the veneer and clamped the damaged parts.

Attachment:
IMG_0379.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg [ 77.88 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

Next day I did the same superglue trick and there you have it.

Attachment:
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg [ 65.13 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

The damage on the opposite side was more severe and I had to employ other tricks.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:38 pm 

ON this side I was unable to force the torn particle board in place so that I would completely eliminate the visible gap on the veneer side. So, I didn't try.

Attachment:
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg [ 58.75 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

What I did instead was put it back together as close as possible, clamped it (dry) and dripped progressively wider holes through the cracks, until I got to the 1/4" drill bit size. Then I was able to force it back together even closer, and I drilled again, to get a clean hole throughout.

Attachment:
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg [ 68.12 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

I used 1/4" poplar dowers and lots of wood glue, and many clamps.

Attachment:
IMG_0462.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg [ 111.67 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

After more than 24 hrs I used a Japanese saw to cut the protruding dowels flush. I used the same superglue trick to fix the particle board where wood glue would not penetrate.

Attachment:
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg [ 81.41 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

I could actually drill out some of that dowel material, make my own sawdust mix and completely hide the sides of the dowels. But I am not trying to pass this radio off as mint condition. I am keeping this radio for myself and those parts are not going to be visible unless someone is disassembling the radio. Basically, I'm happy with the results, as is.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 8:45 pm 

Next job was to reattach the top tray to the cabinet. This was a bit tricky, but it worked. I can see the gaps in the veneer if I use a magnifying glass. So, later I will fill those microscopic gaps with a special color-matched flexible epoxy that I'll soon be using to fill some gaps on my hardwood floor. The will make it pretty much invisible.

Attachment:
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg [ 90.54 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

The bottom board is a bit bent. In fact it is very flimsy and I want to reinforce it.

Attachment:
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]

I've seen online that some other folks have had to fix this on this model radios and I am trying to decide which is the best approach. Don't know yet, but I have a few ideas.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:15 pm 

This is where it's at, right now. I placed the tray, the chassis and the player into the cabinet for the photos.

The major restoration work on the cabinet is done. I won't clutter the forum with all the minor details unless someone requests it. I'm sure you all agree that a) it looks much better than when it arrived, and b) it will look even better once the dial glass is back in, and the magic eye + dial lamps are illuminated. There will also be an illuminated line on the track selector.

Attachment:
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg [ 95.91 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg [ 85.82 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

Some of you might have noticed that the 4 of the plastic tray were broken off. None of the pieces were lost, so I glued them with plastic adhesive = activator. Once it was fully cures I rubbed off the hairline fractures with a Magic Eraser.

I also did some work on the Tefi player, which I've documented. I'll show the work in separate posts.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 11:43 pm 

Very nice work considering the degree and type of damage. You didn't have much to work with but you did a great job of putting the puzzle pieces back together again.

In some respects, this type of work can be very rewarding in spite of the fact that no one want to be in a situation where they are forced to do it.

Congratulations on making the best of a bad situation.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:50 am 

I made significant progress on the repair of the Tefifon T574 radio.

This post is about the bent bottom.

Attachment:
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

I believe this is a common problem with these radios. I've seen another post on the internet of someone trying to fix this problem. I didn't like how they addressed the problem, so I tried my own way.

The bottom is plain particle board and it is less than 1/2" thick. It also has an opening in the center, so there's not much material to support the weight. The rear legs are mounted on a very small, thin and weak piece of material. The radio is heavy. It would have been better if the particle board had been veneered on both sides and plywood would have been even better.

I wanted to first try the least invasive approach. I clamped an angle bar to straighten the board and then used wicking superglue with activator. The particle board also feel a bit "fluffed up" so I thought it could use some rejuvenating. Here are a couple of photos from the clamped stage.

Attachment:
IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0602.jpg [ 81.47 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg [ 51.63 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

The activator cures the super glue very quickly, so I could see the results right away. In the next photo you can see how much more straight the board is compared to the straight angle bar (which is no longer clamped to the board).

Attachment:
IMG_0609.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg [ 41.92 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

However, even after this fix the problem remains. That particle board is simply undersized for the weight of the radio. It will not hold up. So, I did some reinforcing.

First I fabricated a new bottom cover from 1/4" plywood. If anyone else reading this post wishes to do the same, here is an important detail I need to mention. Depending on the plywood, some are made in a way that they are stiffer in one direction than the other direction. In the case of the piece I used, the center layer was the stiff layer and I had to cut the piece with the top/bottom grain going across the width. I also used a reclaimed grill from some air cleaner fan I found. The detail that cannot be seen on this photo is that this grill has small bends on the two long edges and I had to cut grooves into the plywood to make the edges of the gill sink in. This further stiffens up the lid across it length, which in turn stiffens up the bottom of the cabinet. I also made my lid a bit larger than was the original one. Lastly, on this photo there is no ground connection to the gill, yet. For that I simply used a crew to hold the grounding wire, the screw cut through the paint.

Attachment:
IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg [ 89.6 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

As you could see on the previous photo, I also fabricated a new back panel. Here's a better shot.

Attachment:
IMG_0698.jpg
IMG_0698.jpg [ 88.44 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

There are several reasons why I decided to make a new one.

First, the original one is bent up and and some edges are damaged (I won't throw it away). Also, this new panel is made from 1/4" plywood. It is sized exactly to fit into the bottom groove and provide soem additional reinforcement to the bottom of the cabinet.

Further, these Tefi players have a track indicator on the front. The track indicator works with a light that is mounted to the "tone arm" and moves when the stylus moves down the tracks. The light is focused through a lens and bounced off of two mirrors. Then the light is supposed to land in a precise spot on a screen, which is the track indicator. I cannot see that light dot on the screen. I can only see all the lights that are inside the cabinet. Some lights are from the track bulb itself (which is not inside of an enclosure, I guess because of heat), some of the light comes from the dial lamps, some from the tubes and some is just ambient light that comes in from the vents at the rear.

I wanted to make it dark inside the cabinet, so I wanted to completely close off the rear and paint the rear panel black. Since this offers no venting I had to install a fan.

The fan has its own power supply (salvaged from a wall wart) and I will install a fan speed control, to find the speed that makes no noise (already tested). All the new PC boards are mounted on the new panel.

Furthermore, I would like to do some upgrades to this radio. The indicator light should be replaced by an LED so it can be closed off. It will have its own power supply. I don't want to drill holes in the chassis, so the new electronics will all be mounted to the new rear panel. The dial lamps which are lighting up the interior also need to be replaced by LEDs. What I want to do is to use an LED light bar salvaged from a scanner. That's an RGB unit, so I might as well have some fun and install some controls to the back that will give me options to change colors. Again, all new PC boards will be mounted to the rear panel, which is one reason why I decided to make a new one.

The tubes also produce a bit of light, but not nearly as much as these other light sources, so I won't worry about that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:05 am 

One thing that I had to work on was the cassette storage tray.

Attachment:
IMG_0679.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg [ 69.75 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

The problem was that the cassettes didn't fit inside the slots. I am not sure why not. Perhaps the plastic shrink over time.

I read somewhere that there was a problem with early models of this radio. The first version of the T547 had a chassis with two tubes mounted right under the plastic tray. The plastic tray melted on some radios and in the second version of this radio the Tefi company moved one of the tubes onto a bracket as the other end of the chassis. But the rectifier tube is still under the tray and heat still builds up inside the cabinet. Could this possibly be the reason why this plastic tray might shrink over time?

This heat buildup is yet another reason why I decided to install an exhaust fan.

Fortunately there was an easy fix for the plastic tray. On the next photo you can see that the cassette slots all have ridges to hold the cassettes in plate. Those ridges are unnecessary. The cassettes are not going to be falling out. Fortunately, there was a way to open up the width of each compartment by simply filing down these ridges.

Attachment:
IMG_0675.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg [ 42.32 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg [ 48.02 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

I also found it necessary to round off the edges, with a file.

Attachment:
IMG_0688.jpg
IMG_0688.jpg [ 60.7 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

This all produced some scratches, so I used a 3 step plastic polishing process to get all the scratches out.

Attachment:
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg [ 70.76 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

I also saved all the plastic shavings.

Attachment:
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg [ 66.03 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

There are some damages around this plastic tray that could use some filling. At some point I'll figure out if I can melt these shavings and use this original plastic as a filler.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:08 am 

I'm sure some will object, but I added some interior upgrades. Here is one example.

Attachment:
IMG_0696.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg [ 68.35 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

I just can't stand always having to use the soldering iron to detach the wires. I did not make any mods that would make it impossible to revert back to original.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:19 am 

I like the Tefifon radios because Tefi is an obsolete audio media. It is an endless look of vinyl tape with a vinyl recording. A stylus plays back the recording. It is a bit like an 8-track cassette, except that the recording is not on magnetic media.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) one of my Tefi tapes was broken and I had to repair it. So, here is an inside view.

Attachment:
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg [ 68.25 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg [ 82.62 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

In these photos the tape is already repaired and plays fine.

There was a nasty kink on the tape. I fixed it by dipping the tape in very warm water and working the kink out. Then cooling it around a glass bottle.

The Tefifon format was invented by German inventor Dr. Karl Daniel. He actually first experimented with a way to build an answering machine, in the early 1930's. Later he had the idea to develop an audio playback format that would offer long play. The early shellac records only played about 4 minutes and were noisy. His tapes would play 1 hour and later made larger tapes that played 4 hours.

The format never took off and eventually was competing against magnetic media and also against automatic record changers. In the early 60's they developed a stereo format and I believe only made one stereo radio. They made that same radio for the US market under the brand name Westrex. After that the company went under.

The Tefi tape does not have several tracks running in parallel. Instead it is one long continuous track that starts at the top of the tape and ends at the bottom. Sort of like a stretched out version of the Edison cylinders.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:24 am 

The radio has been restored and is now fully functioning.

Attachment:
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0729.jpg [ 143.52 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0731.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg [ 71.86 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg [ 132.15 KiB | Viewed 294 times ]

It is still in my basement and I have to find a new place of it, upstairs.

I will still do some upgrades and the rear panel will serve as a mounting place for all the new electronics. I might even add a bluetooth. For that I plan to add some kind of remote that will allow to switch from Tefi player to bluetooth. Basically, any upgrades will be done in such way that the chassis won't be drilled or damaged.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:19 am 

Nice thread, thanks for keeping us updated. You just might be a miracle worker!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next