Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 12:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gentrification and hipsterization of everything...
PostPosted: Feb Fri 23, 2018 7:05 pm 

Quote:
That is purely a disease you get from the hobby you/we on this forum are all in.

ha ha! Yes. Probably true. Then again people have accused me of acting like an old man since I was in high school...

As far as wineries and stuff in and around Sonoma, we had actually thought about going to Korbel. I guess its just that you can buy their stuff at Safeway so its not like I need to go and taste their stuff anyway.

Its probably hypocritical for me to say things like this, seeing as how I work in the tech industry and thus a part of the problem too, but even though I drive back and forth from Palo Alto to Alameda all week long I am constantly amazed at the sheer volume of wealth on display, not only on the freeways but in the neighborhoods we drive through. Even the smallest house with the tiniest lot anywhere near Palo Alto is at least 1.5-2 million dollars. Yet as soon as one comes up for sale they sell instantly and then after that the old house is torn down and a huge McMansion is built in its place. So we're talking what? Like 3.5 Million for a house?

And then on the freeway... Yesterday I was in the carpool lane in our 7 year old chevy volt and in front of me is a Tesla Model X, a $90,000 car and then behind me is a Model S, yet another close to 6-figure priced car. But its not like this is unusual: sometimes I'll pull up at a light and there will be 3-4 Teslas at a time. They've become as common as a Honda Accord around here. And then there's any number of other cars... Porsche 911's, BMW 7 series, A token Lambroghini, and then there's the more "pedestrian" cars like the hordes and hordes of BMW 3 and 5 series, seemingly driven by all the young pimply-faced first year college grads who landed a job at XXX tech firm.

I always have the thought of like where in the hell did all of that money come from? Not everyone can really have all this money. Its just so surreal. Maybe its because where I grew up most folks were either poor or squarely lower middle class and for anyone to have even a new car of any kind was kind of amazing.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 3:11 am 

I would bet that most of those cars are leased, not owned.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 3:58 am 

Look, you want people buying stuff and services. If everyone just sat on their cash the only people with jobs would be bankers.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 4:37 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
Look, you want people buying stuff and services. If everyone just sat on their cash the only people with jobs would be bankers.
Spending wisely and spending foolishly are two very different things.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 4:46 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
ChrisW6ATV wrote:
(Crabby old man-itis) is purely a disease you get from the hobby you/we on this forum are all in.
It don't help matters none when everybody who trained us/that we were forced to hang around and pick up by osmosis were not only crabby old men to BEGIN with same as us - but used it as a ``gatekeeper'' system besides.

You couldn't tolerate the attitudes - well - ``I guess you ain't ready for This Man's Army yet so you better go back home to your mamma aunties and gramma and try again later.''

Some of us had to try a half a dozen times or even more than that to escape being handheld and babysat at home.

But also remember that this was still in the days when 4/5ths of men were either currently in or had recently just got out of the military - so nearly every man you ran into had that in common.

Also in those days - since everybody you were hanging around mentor-wise had either been in himself or at least been attacheed thereto via their jobs at e.g. Rockwell Lockheed Boeing etc) - who expected you to go into the e.g. engineering corps in the military or get a military-esque job at e.g Lockheed etc - it served as an innocculation to the kind of world you were going to have to be working in for the next 40 years.

But since there hadn't been any ``40-year-career-at-the-same-company'' type jobs for awhile already - boys even a half a generation behind me were starting to get this whole ``(shrug) what's the point'' attitude - especially after computers and videogames and all these other avenues for entertainment you could do by yourself came in.

But then again - you ask me - that's why all the ``old mens' hobbies'' (trains toys coins stamps etc) is all dying out in the new millennium bec in those days there was only 3 choices - stay at home with your mamma and aunties etc - go snipe hunting or some other equally ridiculous activity with your boorish father and all his drunken buddies w the 68 IQ - or this.

It's like when 12 channel CATV came in after only having ABC CBS and NBC and maybe a UHF independent station that played cartoons and old movies if you were lucky. Within months - reading books, studying and outside play - especially for the dorkboys who wd be going into computers and videogames in the upcoming generations - became a thing of the past - especially when they started piping in FM stereo radio on blank channels with a converter box to translate it back down to 88-108.

Today it's a thousand times worse. With so much instantly accessible ways for everybody to occ their time - people anymore can afford to be picky as to who and what they will or will not tolerate - meaning - we wanna keep being crabby and try to use it as a gatekeeping mechanism like we had done to us - everybody we would have brought into the fold will just shrug and go back to their phone or tablet for amusement.

And if you were like most guys in the field who only found out decades later that they had it themselves after their sons was diagnosed with it - if you had ADD or Aspergers or were any other type of quirky kid that got bullied and stomped on just abt everywhere you went - for emotional and physical survival purposes anyway - you didn't even HAVE the other two choices if you WANTED it. So you tolerated what you had to bec everything else was a thousand times worse - and life went on.
bobwilson1977 wrote:
ha ha! Yes. Probably true. Then again people have accused me of acting like an old man since I was in high school.
Ha got ya beat. When i was nine, my great granddad dubbed me and my eleven year old cousin The Crabbiest Oldest Man in the Youngest Body of the Western (me) and Eastern (Pete) Alleghenies.''
zarco wrote:
There is a nice secluded beach with stunning views that few people frequent. Good place to let dogs run too.
And don't forget Lucasfilm and spending the weekend at Olema Ranch in the historic 18th c hotels.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 7:29 pm 

I have started on my second million...I finally gave up on the first one.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 7:32 pm 

Sol wrote:

I have tons of money...I just don't know where it is.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 24, 2018 10:39 pm 

My best friend lives in Borough Park, Brooklyn. This area used to be the affordable alternative to Manhattan for those desiring to live in NYC; now regular folks are priced out of the area. I acknowledge that his apartment looks great on the inside and has two bedrooms but the neighborhood, albeit safer and "gentrified" doesn't look any prettier than what I remember years ago. The buildings are still as old as can be and the landlords really don't focus on curb appeal. Many hipster magnet businesses have cropped up. We stopped in a coffee/pastry shop about a month ago and there were young men and women who looked quite grotesque. The men looked like they were auditioning for a sequel of Castaway and the women looked so pale since they avoid meat, dairy, gluten, carbs and real sugar-I guess they eat water (bottled and fortified of course). I was more afraid and intimidated than in the 80s when the neighborhood was "unsafe".

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 2:30 am 

Thorstein Veblen coined the term "conspicuous consumption" over 100 years ago. It's people displaying their wealth by behavior that says in effect, "see how wasteful I can afford to be!" I used to commute from Los Gatos, CA to Sunnyvale on the Lawrence Expressway in the early 1980s. The most aggressive driver I'd see each morning was in a VW Rabbit with personalized plates "ABACAB." I wonder where that fella is now.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 25, 2018 4:43 am 

That's funny,I used to drive a Rabbit with the plate R.B.ROCKET,I lived in Red Bluff and worked in Sacramento and drove I-5 every day,1 way was 110 miles.Best time point to point was 58 minutes! :shock:

Phil

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:52 pm 

Nobody wastes any time in I-5. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 51 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3