Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 24, 2018 8:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:36 pm 

A little followup- the TV 12 tube tester had been recapped and calibrated by a local electronic shop in 2012- works great!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:12 am 

Doc612, congrats on the fantastic haul!! Nice looking radios!!! :) :)

Linda

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:46 pm 

doc612 wrote:
I went to see if I could negotiate a nice deal on a Radiola 18 and RCA 100A speaker that a lady had for sale on Letgo. Turns out she had a bunch of radios she wanted to letgo! They belonged to her ex and she just wanted them gone. I spotted a TO A600, a Philco 20 cathedral, a Crosley dashboard, an AK tombstone and lots of "cheapos" or throwaways. I offered $200 for the lot and she agreed providing I could move them all TODAY. Sure! I have a big truck. While we were loading the radios she sent her son out with a Superior Instruments tube tester- I offered $20 more but she said no- she was glad it was all leaving. I went to get 1 radio and came home with 29! BTW that's $6.89 per radio- not a bad price.
Attachment:
rsz_29_radios.jpg

Good gracious!

That is WONDERFUL!

:)

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:06 pm 

doc612 wrote:
I went to see if I could negotiate a nice deal on a Radiola 18 and RCA 100A speaker that a lady had for sale on Letgo. Turns out she had a bunch of radios she wanted to letgo! They belonged to her ex and she just wanted them gone. I spotted a TO A600, a Philco 20 cathedral, a Crosley dashboard, an AK tombstone and lots of "cheapos" or throwaways. I offered $200 for the lot and she agreed providing I could move them all TODAY. Sure! I have a big truck. While we were loading the radios she sent her son out with a Superior Instruments tube tester- I offered $20 more but she said no- she was glad it was all leaving. I went to get 1 radio and came home with 29! BTW that's $6.89 per radio- not a bad price.
Attachment:
rsz_29_radios.jpg

Call the cops. I want to report a robbery. :D
Congrats on a great haul.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:46 pm 

You are so lucky to have all those. Maybe some day I will find a pile to bring home.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:49 am 

Here's a few Facebook finds I picked up today-a rough Airline 62-317, a Fire Pal police/fire band receiver (plays great, I picked up a few local police calls), and a beautiful Truetone D-723-recapped by an old friend, the late Jack Traxler of Grand Rapids, MI. Wrong knobs, though.

Dan Fox

Attachments:
Airline 62-317.jpg
Airline 62-317.jpg [ 178.84 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]
Fire King.jpg
Fire King.jpg [ 182.58 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]
Truetone D-723.jpg
Truetone D-723.jpg [ 138.54 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:04 am 

Picked this up at the NEARC Antique Radio show. Apparently a reproducer? I didn't know these things existed:

Attachment:
IMG_2535.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG [ 199.24 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG [ 169.16 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:26 am 

First off, in my defense of acquiring such a set, it's what you might call a "rescue". This AA5 1946 Motorola 55X15 special "Mother's Day" ivory painted set was sitting neglected on a table at a local antiques mall for $20. It needed TLC, but was totally complete and the decals weren't worn. I couldn't leave it. I took it apart, cleaned years of kitchen grime off it, replaced the grill cloth, repaired the back panel and dial backing, and gave it a detailed paint touch-up. Surprisingly, after I cleaned the chassis/controls and lubed the tuning, it plays just fine as-is! Interestingly I couldn't find much information on it on the Net and only a couple of clean examples in ivory. It also came in a soft green tone. Even the guide books don't include this model.

Attachments:
1946 Motorola 55X15.JPG
1946 Motorola 55X15.JPG [ 172.45 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:36 am 

Picked this one up for $35

Attachments:
IMAG0668.jpg
IMAG0668.jpg [ 156.1 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:26 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
First off, in my defense of acquiring such a set, it's what you might call a "rescue". This AA5 1946 Motorola 55X15 special "Mother's Day" ivory painted set was sitting neglected on a table at a local antiques mall for $20. It needed TLC, but was totally complete and the decals weren't worn. I couldn't leave it. I took it apart, cleaned years of kitchen grime off it, replaced the grill cloth, repaired the back panel and dial backing, and gave it a detailed paint touch-up. Surprisingly, after I cleaned the chassis/controls and lubed the tuning, it plays just fine as-is! Interestingly I couldn't find much information on it on the Net and only a couple of clean examples in ivory. It also came in a soft green tone. Even the guide books don't include this model.

:shock:

I dont judge... Much :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:13 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:

:shock:

I dont judge... Much :lol:

Haha! :D Okay, so it's not a radio Rambo would buy! :oops:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:23 pm 

If that Motorola isn't factory, then I would call it tastefully done.
Definite appeal to the feminine side.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:56 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Definite appeal to the feminine side.

-Steve

Thanks. Yes, it definitely is a factory model and I would like to know who first discovered it was called the "Mother's Day" model. Maybe it was offered at that time in '46. It seems the green-tone model is seen more often. I actually like some "feminine" radios like the "Charlie McCarthy" styled one but with the colorful floral insert decoration. That's a fairly rare one. Also the Kitchenette radio with the rounded shelves on either side.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

Yes, then there was the Dionne quintuplets radios which there were at least a couple versions.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:18 pm 

Actually to me the paint job on that set looks pretty good. Its clear it was done a long time ago too. if it were me I would leave it as it is.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:50 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
azenithnut wrote:
-Steve
Yes, it definitely is a factory model and I would like to know who first discovered it was called the "Mother's Day" model...

+1 Original

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:00 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Actually to me the paint job on that set looks pretty good. Its clear it was done a long time ago too. if it were me I would leave it as it is.

Thank you. Funny you say that because I actually mixed paints and extensively, carefully, touched-up the set. It was about a 3 hours work. The set was never completely repainted. I tried to leave as much factory original paint as possible and also leave some patina. These are just not found without at least some flaking paint on the top from the heat of tubes.
Thanks radioterry for verification. An old ARF post and Google searches on this model also verify that it's authentic.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:59 pm 

Nice speaker - the tapestry is in great shape - for the Radiola 60!
Quote:
Picked this up at the NEARC Antique Radio show. Apparently a reproducer? I didn't know these things existed:

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:45 pm 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
Nice speaker - the tapestry is in great shape - for the Radiola 60!
Quote:

Thanks, there is no identification on the speaker I bought (a Radiola 103 apparently). So now I have a reason to try and find a Radiola 60 to go with it!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:13 am 

belonged to her ex huh, question, where is the said ex at now? Does he know that you have his collection for $6.89 a radio?
just thinking... how attached was he to those radios and when is he coming back to his ex to get them, and what will happen to her?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 150 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next