Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Sep Mon 24, 2018 8:29 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 8:36 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Sat 28, 2015 10:50 pm
Posts: 461
Location: Decatur Alabama
A little followup- the TV 12 tube tester had been recapped and calibrated by a local electronic shop in 2012- works great!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:12 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Mon 27, 2012 5:56 am
Posts: 1216
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Doc612, congrats on the fantastic haul!! Nice looking radios!!! :) :)

Linda

_________________
Linda
Always looking for GE Bandy Items!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 5:46 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Sun 01, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 7211
Location: Long Island NY
doc612 wrote:
I went to see if I could negotiate a nice deal on a Radiola 18 and RCA 100A speaker that a lady had for sale on Letgo. Turns out she had a bunch of radios she wanted to letgo! They belonged to her ex and she just wanted them gone. I spotted a TO A600, a Philco 20 cathedral, a Crosley dashboard, an AK tombstone and lots of "cheapos" or throwaways. I offered $200 for the lot and she agreed providing I could move them all TODAY. Sure! I have a big truck. While we were loading the radios she sent her son out with a Superior Instruments tube tester- I offered $20 more but she said no- she was glad it was all leaving. I went to get 1 radio and came home with 29! BTW that's $6.89 per radio- not a bad price.
Attachment:
rsz_29_radios.jpg


Good gracious!

That is WONDERFUL!

:)

_________________
No, I am not old.
I restore old things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:06 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Tue 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 5267
Location: Gretna, Nebraska
doc612 wrote:
I went to see if I could negotiate a nice deal on a Radiola 18 and RCA 100A speaker that a lady had for sale on Letgo. Turns out she had a bunch of radios she wanted to letgo! They belonged to her ex and she just wanted them gone. I spotted a TO A600, a Philco 20 cathedral, a Crosley dashboard, an AK tombstone and lots of "cheapos" or throwaways. I offered $200 for the lot and she agreed providing I could move them all TODAY. Sure! I have a big truck. While we were loading the radios she sent her son out with a Superior Instruments tube tester- I offered $20 more but she said no- she was glad it was all leaving. I went to get 1 radio and came home with 29! BTW that's $6.89 per radio- not a bad price.
Attachment:
rsz_29_radios.jpg


Call the cops. I want to report a robbery. :D
Congrats on a great haul.

_________________
http://www.vintagerestorationservices.com
Paul
...... how hard can it be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:46 pm 
Member

Joined: Feb Thu 08, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 11800
Location: 06457
You are so lucky to have all those. Maybe some day I will find a pile to bring home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:49 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Thu 30, 2017 1:58 am
Posts: 202
Location: Muskegon, MI 49441
Here's a few Facebook finds I picked up today-a rough Airline 62-317, a Fire Pal police/fire band receiver (plays great, I picked up a few local police calls), and a beautiful Truetone D-723-recapped by an old friend, the late Jack Traxler of Grand Rapids, MI. Wrong knobs, though.

Dan Fox


Attachments:
Airline 62-317.jpg
Airline 62-317.jpg [ 178.84 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]
Fire King.jpg
Fire King.jpg [ 182.58 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]
Truetone D-723.jpg
Truetone D-723.jpg [ 138.54 KiB | Viewed 808 times ]

_________________
'To be is to do'-Socrates
'To do is to be'-Sartre
'Do be do be do'-Sinatra
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:04 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Mon 24, 2017 3:27 pm
Posts: 131
Location: 01450
Picked this up at the NEARC Antique Radio show. Apparently a reproducer? I didn't know these things existed:

Attachment:
IMG_2535.JPG
IMG_2535.JPG [ 199.24 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]


Attachment:
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG [ 169.16 KiB | Viewed 706 times ]

_________________
- http://www.nixies.us/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:26 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 11449
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
First off, in my defense of acquiring such a set, it's what you might call a "rescue". This AA5 1946 Motorola 55X15 special "Mother's Day" ivory painted set was sitting neglected on a table at a local antiques mall for $20. It needed TLC, but was totally complete and the decals weren't worn. I couldn't leave it. I took it apart, cleaned years of kitchen grime off it, replaced the grill cloth, repaired the back panel and dial backing, and gave it a detailed paint touch-up. Surprisingly, after I cleaned the chassis/controls and lubed the tuning, it plays just fine as-is! Interestingly I couldn't find much information on it on the Net and only a couple of clean examples in ivory. It also came in a soft green tone. Even the guide books don't include this model.


Attachments:
1946 Motorola 55X15.JPG
1946 Motorola 55X15.JPG [ 172.45 KiB | Viewed 670 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:36 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Sat 21, 2017 9:16 am
Posts: 60
Location: Ste. Genevieve, Mo. 63670
Picked this one up for $35


Attachments:
IMAG0668.jpg
IMAG0668.jpg [ 156.1 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:26 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Sun 01, 2013 4:10 pm
Posts: 7211
Location: Long Island NY
decojoe67 wrote:
First off, in my defense of acquiring such a set, it's what you might call a "rescue". This AA5 1946 Motorola 55X15 special "Mother's Day" ivory painted set was sitting neglected on a table at a local antiques mall for $20. It needed TLC, but was totally complete and the decals weren't worn. I couldn't leave it. I took it apart, cleaned years of kitchen grime off it, replaced the grill cloth, repaired the back panel and dial backing, and gave it a detailed paint touch-up. Surprisingly, after I cleaned the chassis/controls and lubed the tuning, it plays just fine as-is! Interestingly I couldn't find much information on it on the Net and only a couple of clean examples in ivory. It also came in a soft green tone. Even the guide books don't include this model.


:shock:

I dont judge... Much :lol:

_________________
No, I am not old.
I restore old things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:13 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 11449
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
OldRestorer wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
First off, in my defense of acquiring such a set, it's what you might call a "rescue". This AA5 1946 Motorola 55X15 special "Mother's Day" ivory painted set was sitting neglected on a table at a local antiques mall for $20. It needed TLC, but was totally complete and the decals weren't worn. I couldn't leave it. I took it apart, cleaned years of kitchen grime off it, replaced the grill cloth, repaired the back panel and dial backing, and gave it a detailed paint touch-up. Surprisingly, after I cleaned the chassis/controls and lubed the tuning, it plays just fine as-is! Interestingly I couldn't find much information on it on the Net and only a couple of clean examples in ivory. It also came in a soft green tone. Even the guide books don't include this model.


:shock:

I dont judge... Much :lol:

Haha! :D Okay, so it's not a radio Rambo would buy! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 2:23 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 17039
Location: Dayton Ohio
If that Motorola isn't factory, then I would call it tastefully done.
Definite appeal to the feminine side.

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:56 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 11449
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
azenithnut wrote:
If that Motorola isn't factory, then I would call it tastefully done.
Definite appeal to the feminine side.

-Steve

Thanks. Yes, it definitely is a factory model and I would like to know who first discovered it was called the "Mother's Day" model. Maybe it was offered at that time in '46. It seems the green-tone model is seen more often. I actually like some "feminine" radios like the "Charlie McCarthy" styled one but with the colorful floral insert decoration. That's a fairly rare one. Also the Kitchenette radio with the rounded shelves on either side.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:12 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Mon 18, 2010 2:13 am
Posts: 17039
Location: Dayton Ohio
Yes, then there was the Dionne quintuplets radios which there were at least a couple versions.

-Steve

_________________
Radio Interests
-Zenith
-Sparton
-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:18 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 08, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 9026
Location: alameda,CA
Actually to me the paint job on that set looks pretty good. Its clear it was done a long time ago too. if it were me I would leave it as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3741
Location: Central VA, 23005
decojoe67 wrote:
azenithnut wrote:
If that Motorola isn't factory, then I would call it tastefully done.
-Steve
Yes, it definitely is a factory model and I would like to know who first discovered it was called the "Mother's Day" model...


+1 Original


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 6:00 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 11449
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
bobwilson1977 wrote:
Actually to me the paint job on that set looks pretty good. Its clear it was done a long time ago too. if it were me I would leave it as it is.

Thank you. Funny you say that because I actually mixed paints and extensively, carefully, touched-up the set. It was about a 3 hours work. The set was never completely repainted. I tried to leave as much factory original paint as possible and also leave some patina. These are just not found without at least some flaking paint on the top from the heat of tubes.
Thanks radioterry for verification. An old ARF post and Google searches on this model also verify that it's authentic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Fri 25, 2011 12:57 am
Posts: 2219
Location: 08033 Cherry Hill Jersey
Nice speaker - the tapestry is in great shape - for the Radiola 60!
Quote:
Picked this up at the NEARC Antique Radio show. Apparently a reproducer? I didn't know these things existed:

_________________
Want-Crosley Playboy 124 cabinet any cond
Stromberg 1A chassis
Big Hallicraftrz Spkr
KD2AZI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:45 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Mon 24, 2017 3:27 pm
Posts: 131
Location: 01450
SmoothOscillator wrote:
Nice speaker - the tapestry is in great shape - for the Radiola 60!
Quote:
Picked this up at the NEARC Antique Radio show. Apparently a reproducer? I didn't know these things existed:

Thanks, there is no identification on the speaker I bought (a Radiola 103 apparently). So now I have a reason to try and find a Radiola 60 to go with it!

_________________
- http://www.nixies.us/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: March Finds & Losses ****
PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:13 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Tue 01, 2015 5:31 am
Posts: 1624
Location: Columbus Ohio
belonged to her ex huh, question, where is the said ex at now? Does he know that you have his collection for $6.89 a radio?
just thinking... how attached was he to those radios and when is he coming back to his ex to get them, and what will happen to her?

_________________
Joe - There's no shortage of cruelty to animals: http://joinASPCA.org


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 150 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: egg, foglog, jsowers, louhaskell, Macrohenry, manualman, mikeC, rif1457 and 12 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB