Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 18, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AM broadcast station going 'flat' on high notes?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 9:10 am 

jack.estes wrote:
When you refer to the D to A process, am I correct in thinking that you're referring to a Digital to Audio process?

That is correct. Figuring out why broadcast hardware and software are misbehaving has been a major part of my career for decades. I have heard broadcast automation systems do some screwy stuff, and this is an interesting problem.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Post subject: Re: AM broadcast station going 'flat' on high notes?
PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 1:26 pm 

When I worked with broadcast systems using D to A converters, we had a unit that could not reproduce pure tones well. If a sustained musical note occurred that was close to a sine wave (which most music isn't), the output would sound something like Jack described. It was an early unit that used mp2 compression. The programming was Classic Rock and the problem didn't happen very often.

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2