Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 22, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the chances? - weird stuff
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 10:47 pm 

Here's a silly oddball happenstance.

Yesterday TCM was showing the fully restored 1937 classic movie Lost Horizon starring Ronald Colman and Jane Wyatt.

During some of the open scenes escaping war-torn Baskul China Ronald Colman is seen picking up a Coleman lantern to smash into fuel barrels.

So here's what keeps sticking in my weird mind:
What are the chances that Ronald Colman would ever have been filmed holding a Coleman lantern???

Yeah, I know... I've got too much time on my hands... lol

Post subject: Re: What are the chances? - weird stuff
PostPosted: Mar Sat 03, 2018 11:00 pm 

Yea, you should really get a hobby. :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 5:06 am 

I would never have thought of that.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:02 am 

Koby wrote:
I would never have thought of that.

Well I might have not thought much either... but it was a long-ish zoomed in shot of the lantern with both mantels glowing... so it was very obvious that it was a Coleman lantern....
So that seemed too odd anyway... esp for China back in the 30s.
They could have used any other of a dozen types of maybe kerosene lanterns or something. Any other maybe more Chinese-looking lantern and it would not have been made so obvious to me.
So as they zoomed in so tightly... and my mind says: "Coleman lantern" okay... but... then the coincidence of Ronald Colman seemed to also pop out of my brain.

The Coleman lantern was invented around 1905 so it fits in the 1930 period... okay... but still I don't know if China was using them then or maybe something of their own invention... who knows?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Don't know about China, but the prop department was using them. Maybe they couldn't find any Wyatt lanterns?

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:28 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Don't know about China, but the prop department was using them. Maybe they couldn't find any Wyatt lanterns?

That's a knee slapper ! Touche'
Here's some:
https://ambriegnsasylum16.deviantart.co ... -627298364

http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Wyatt_Family_Lantern

How about a Wyatt pendant ? :
https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/ ... tcQAvD_BwE

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 6:51 am 

if we're gonna go into the subject of coincidence,

Back in around 2002 or 2003 my dad brought home a panasonic brand credit card flashlight a lot like the one in this picture.

It had a large black button somewhere in the middle and still used some sort of incandescent axial leaded bulb and what i think was an early lithium ion or nicad battery. It was a very cool thing and at the time it also looked very modern and out of the ordinary. Not long after I got it I started spotting the same kind of flashlight in random movies I was watching on TV. It wasn't promo for the product as the movie scenes where I saw these flashlights deliberately tried to conceal what they really were. In one movie an extraterrestrial or man from the future whichever of the two he was used one as a "curing device" to heal a small girls wounded hand. He was holding it upside down and the light coming off it and the accompanying sound effects were the magical healing power that it emitted. In another movie which took place in a huge space ship, the flashlight was glued to a wall and was supposed to be part of the unlocking mechanism of a futuristic space door. The chick in the movie tapped some sequence of dits and dots onto the button that turns the flashlight on and hit a second button that was glued to the flashlight to finally open the door.

Weird story I know. It was just so strange to me how I happened upon this bizarre out of the ordinary flashlight at the time and for some strange reason it appeared in two obscure scifi films around the same time. Ever since I have never seen those movies again nor have I seen a flashlight just like that one. Weird memory stuck in my brain for some reason.

Bed time

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 7:04 am 

tube42 wrote:

Weird story I know. It was just so strange to me how I happened upon this bizarre out of the ordinary flashlight at the time and for some strange reason it appeared in two obscure scifi films around the same time.

Bed time

When you hear a new word or something else that you never knew before and then it suddenly seems to show up everywhere.
There's a name for that. “frequency illusion” (selective attention & confirmation bias)
The sobriquet is known as the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon:
https://psmag.com/social-justice/theres ... enon-59670

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 3:54 pm 

Yep yep. I had that when I got my first pair of Converse Chuck Taylors. Soon I unconsciously looked for them everywhere and then everyone seemed to have them.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 4:12 pm 

Just like when you buy what you think is a scarce radio you have never seen, then you see them everywhere and realize you payed too much.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 04, 2018 7:41 pm 

wazz wrote:
Just like when you buy what you think is a scarce radio you have never seen, then you see them everywhere and realize you payed too much.

Thats a good one. Lol

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 1:14 am 

wazz wrote:

Beyond that, it is odd how certain radios seem to come in waves. I won't see a certain model for years, then several will show up, then it will be years before I will see them again.

But more specifically, I often do this just for fun. For example, it's a running gag with my wife that the number 47 magically appears wherever we go. I'll see it or hear it, and proclaim "47!". Then we both laugh. Then I ask rhetorically "What are the odds?". After all, it just happened - the odds were apparently pretty good.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:43 am 

Similarly... my female friend showed me her watch displayed 11:11 am one day... and told me it keeps happening.
Sure enough that night again... or 1:11
But the odds aren't strange.. the odds never change about twice a day..lol but will you be happening to look at it at that moment?
but it's just "frequency illusion" or "selective bias"

But she relates it to magical spirits or ominous scary stuff... lol

PostPosted: Mar Mon 05, 2018 11:25 pm 

There is a product that is a closer match to the actors' name. Maybe you can find a connection to it...

Attachments:
colmans.jpg
colmans.jpg [ 8.85 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 12:04 am 

19&41 wrote:
There is a product that is a closer match to the actors' name. Maybe you can find a connection to it...

Oh sure...
Of course! Colman's was his favorite mustard.
Any time he had lunch with his movie pals he always served Colman's mustard with water.

Attachment:
colmans mustsrd.jpg
colmans mustsrd.jpg [ 94.79 KiB | Viewed 525 times ]

Btw: Under the heading of "more interesting info":
... you'll notice that Cary Grant was looking quite somber in this photo. Well that's because he was thinking about how cramped he was going to feel one day in the future when he would be moving into the narrowest (9.5ft wide) house in New York City at 75-1/2 Bedford St. in the Villiage.

He knew it was Edna St. Vincent Millay's old house and he'd be only one of the other famous residents there since both Margaret Mead and John Barrymore as well would be preceding him as residents there.
Ref:
https://untappedcities.com/2014/09/09/v ... h-village/

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

Is that Chico Marx? Love the Marx brothers!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 6:50 pm 

Sol wrote:
Is that Chico Marx? Love the Marx brothers!

Yes, and Groucho w/o stash!
And Carole Lombard who was married to Clark Gable .... but 3 years later she would be dead:
"Lombard's career was cut short when she died at the age of 33 in an airplane crash on Mount Potosi, Nevada while returning from a war bond tour. "

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 7:46 pm 

Ah! I see him now.

Too bad about Carole.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 9:49 pm 

Colman's mustard U.K. introduced ready-made mustard in jars in 1963

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 06, 2018 10:14 pm 

That mustard and water mixer makes me think of Red Skeltons' Guzzlers Gin routine when he very hoarsley says Sssmmmooottthhh! A real smooth drink.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next