Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weather scaredy cats
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 6:06 am 

Tonight we here in No.Jersey are supposed to get some snow.
But it's late in the season so who cares?
Well.... seems like everyone... lol
The supermarket was packed. They told me there was a line waiting to get in at 7am this morning!
How crazy.
In all my 76 years and all the snow storms here... we've NEVER been stranded even a day or two. We've got more plows and other snow gear and salt and wherever..No worries.
Yet these people still seem to panic. I don't get it.
It's also late in the season... so how long can the snow stick?
Silly crazy ppl.

Post subject: Re: Weather scaredy cats
PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:33 am 

TV weather and news. Any weather change must be reported with breathless panic and if there are two or more at the same time it's apocalypse warning time. Bring back the weather girls. They just read the copy and were nice to look at.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 8:39 am 

It's always amazing here in the Toledo area that any forecast of more than about two inches of snow causes a run on the supermarkets for food and hardware stores for salt and shovels. A local morning radio guy made some fun of this by asking what do people do? Throw out their shovels in the spring? "Well, I won't be needin' this anymore!"

And a couple of inches??!!! Shoot, I can remember coming downstairs for breakfast in the morning and seeing some snow on the ground. My mother would say, "Looks like we got a couple of inches overnight. Hurry up and eat so you can go out and sweep it off the sidewalk before you catch the school bus." Now school is cancelled for that much snow and delayed for fog! In twelve years of school, I can remember classes being cancelled exactly twice for snow.

John

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:15 am 

From K - 6th grade, we had to walk almost 1/2 mile to school down a busy street in the morning before most people were out to shovel, so walking in the street was our only option. No matter how much snow we got, it would have to have been seriously catastrophic for school to close. The running joke was the superintendent lived next door to the school and if HE could make it in, so could you! We even had school the day the Blizzard of '77 hit, but were dismissed early (it was getting bad at that point, and temps were well below 0f, as they were most of that winter, to my recollection). By 4:00, it was so bad my parents were stranded at work. Some people had simply barrelled out of their driveways through the plow mounds to go to work, leaving tire tracks out of their driveways giving us sporadic escape routes to dodge into when cars came upon us. We ALL survived... NOW, even in the best weather, school buses stop EVERY BLOCK to let kids off. They CAN'T let all the kids in a 3 - 4 block radius off in one central location and let them walk a block or 2....

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:26 am 

It's even worse here - with all of the military and with some of those being from the deep south, panic is easy. Walmart sells out of every kind of milk and bread. I always wondered who bought all of that Soy milk - now I know - panicked moms.

What troubles me is the repetitive "Beach Erosion" TV new stories. We have a storm, the beach is eroded. I happens each and every time, yet it is given attention like it was Three Mile Island all over again....

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:26 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 1:38 pm 

Here is central Jersey( near Asbury Park ) the local Walmart was packed yesterday and this morning as well. I have plenty of food, drink and fire wood for the wood stove. Just in case the power dose go out. I live just over a mile form my job, so travel is not an issue. So we will wait and see what happens. Will it be all that they say it's going to be, or is it going to be a bust. Note !. Weather Forecasters have a great job, where else can you be Wrong 99% of the time and keep there joe.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 3:48 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
TV weather and news. Any weather change must be reported with breathless panic and if there are two or more at the same time it's apocalypse warning time. Bring back the weather girls. They just read the copy and were nice to look at.

RRM
NECN Cable channel 8 in my area. offers weather as described..

Once your transfixed with the every 10 minute drivel, including the occasional woman meteorologist. Here come the bombardment of the car commercials, two before and two after. Cars and trucks with 4-wheel drive and all the amenities to get you through all the worst nature has to offer.

The oxymoron is the next news flash of local storm flooding and cars floating down stream or crushed to a foot high by a fallen tree :shock:

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 4:28 pm 

Roads were really bad in Montana yesterday:

https://t.co/M3AlR9Myex

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 5:00 pm 

Retired Radio Man wrote:

RRM

^^^^
This.
For the news media, crisis equals viewers.
If you don't have a real crisis handy, make one up.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 7:28 pm 

I think this once they may be forgiven for overstating this current storm.

The missed the last one by a bunch and things turned real bad real fast.

We *still* have many thousands of families without power in the county, and
there were many deaths from trees crushing homes and cars - high winds for
certain.

Plows can't get through to clear the streets if the streets are blocked by downed trees....

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 10:59 pm 

True! What really is strange is know they are naming every silly storm that comes around. Why? And this for today's storm they added something new. "Thunder Snow!"

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:02 pm 

Just as I got out of my truck at home today I heard the Thunder Clapp, Weird stuff going on. Mother Nature is smoking something funny. Anyway, home now, Wood Stove going, working in the shop / shack. Plenty of food and drink, Life's good

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:11 pm 

N2LXM wrote:
Just as I got out of my truck at home today I heard the Thunder Clapp, Weird stuff going on. Mother Nature is smoking something funny. Anyway, home now, Wood Stove going, working in the shop / shack. Plenty of food and drink, Life's good

They call it "thunder snow"

PostPosted: Mar Wed 07, 2018 11:16 pm 

My wife says "Oh, it's so beautiful.". Of course she isn't the one who has to plow the mess. :?

Attachment:
DSC01276s.jpg
DSC01276s.jpg [ 79.67 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:10 am 

And it's only 6pm here:
Attachment:
2018 march snow.jpg
2018 march snow.jpg [ 73.16 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 12:58 am 

Mike DeMeo wrote:
True! What really is strange is know they are naming every silly storm that comes around. Why? And this for today's storm they added something new. "Thunder Snow!"

The naming of these storms is a Weather Channel thing that was started a couple of years ago. The National Weather Service was not happy they were doing this and tried to discourage them from naming the storms. The NWS felt that only the hurricanes and tropical storms should be named and that naming every storm that popped up on the radar would be confusing. Thunder snow is a term that has been around for awhile, but this year I heard a new one..."Bomb Cyclone". I wonder who made that one up.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 1:21 am 

I think George Carlin said it best," Now for all you people who have been around for awhile they have a new term its called a Nor' Easter when I was a kid it was called SNOW"

R. I. P. George. I miss your whit.

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:09 am 

I call all the hype on tv "the disasterization of the weather".
But it is true tonight, the roads got very bad during the heavy snow.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:34 am 

doug-5er wrote:
I think George Carlin said it best," Now for all you people who have been around for awhile they have a new term its called a Nor' Easter when I was a kid it was called SNOW"

R. I. P. George. I miss your whit.

You made me scratch my head and double check wit vs whit.... so perhaps just a typo?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next