Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 2:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Weather scaredy cats
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:38 am 

Willitwork wrote:
I call all the hype on tv "the disasterization of the weather".
But it is true tonight, the roads got very bad during the heavy snow.

By 11pm the streets in my neighborhood are already cleared down to 100% clear blacktop . So I think that's because the asphalt has been slowly warming lately and snow doesn't really stick well this time of year.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:08 pm 

Quote:
By 11pm the streets in my neighborhood are already cleared down to 100% clear blacktop . So I think that's because the asphalt has been slowly warming lately and snow doesn't really stick well this time of year.

Consider yourself lucky. Here in Morris County, the secondary roads are still a mess. Trees and limbs are down all over the place. About 25% of the county is still without power, and all train service to NYC was cancelled. We got about a foot of the real wet, heavy snow.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 8:20 pm 

Got at least a foot of heavy, wet snow here in north-central Massholechewitts. Trees down all over the place, and several roads in town are closed. My ham radio antenna (133' windom dipole) was coated with snow during the storm and sagged quite a bit, but the wire sprang back into position once things warmed up in the morning.

Power went out after midnight, and probably won't be back on for a couple of days or so. Got our backup generator up and running late this morning, and it's keeping our oil furnace running to heat the house back up from well below 60º. Got this plugged this into the wall to monitor the generator's output:
The pointer is generally swinging between 115 and 120V, occasionally dipping down to 110V. We still have a couple of jerry cans of gas left, so hopefully we'll be able to ride the outage out before having to find an open gas station around here. Stay safe and warm, everyone!
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:47 pm 

I'm in NJ too, and a worker at the supermarket says the two most popular storm/disaster shopping Run items are bottled water and Potato chips.

Quote:
here in the Toledo

I was going to comment that "this would never happen in NW Ohio where ppl are used to the snow" (where I'm from). Oh, it seems times have changed.

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

Some ppl I know posted on FB that their power is out.

But how were they able to post it? Router, modem PC and cell towers... all require power, No?

Only guess is cell tower batteries or generators?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:22 pm 

Pbpix wrote:
Some ppl I know posted on FB that their power is out.

But how were they able to post it? Router, modem PC... all require power, No?
They found WiFi in town, or used their cellphones somehow.

I agree all the weather hype just stirs up trouble, like we had blazing red banners on our weather reports here, up to 10 cm of snow predicted! Couple of inches, folks.

But people in general are more clueless when it comes to survival, so maybe the warnings are warranted. Stay home if you can't handle the driving, for example. "But, but... we need water! We'll run outa chips! " And now there are ten times more people out there, so more chances of goofy stuff that requires emergency response. The roads do become unsafe for school buses and everyone else when you have these panicked shoppers late because of the lineups, maybe racing to pick up their kids, etc.

So I say, yeah, close the schools and let the kids have another snow day. :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:26 pm 

The thing is... that for about 80-90% of ppl ... nothing fails.. or everything is usually up and back in service in 24hrs... or soon afterwards. That's been my 76year personal experience.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:33 pm 

Quote:
The thing is... that for about 80-90% of ppl ... nothing fails.. or everything is usually up and back in service in 24hrs... or soon afterwards. That's been my 76year personal experience.

Until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you, but we've had three bad storms in the last six or seven years that knocked out power for days and did all kinds of damage. I'm not sure if the power outages are a comment on the severity of these storms, the decay of the power infrastructure, or the incompetence of the power companies. Maybe all three.

I agree, too, that the weather hype is insane, but it gets clicks, and you have to remember that 21 century journalism is click whores cranking out click bait. As long as people click on it, they'll keep churning it out, but it does tend to panic people. Now, since we just had a really bad storm, the media will ratchet up the weather hysteria even more. Every time it's going to rain or snow, they bill it as the worst storm ever (at least since the last worst storm ever). Like a broken clock, they will be right now and then, and that just keeps them going.

Last edited by Joe Connor on Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:53 pm 

Joe Connor wrote:
Quote:

Until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you, but we've had three bad storms in the last six or seven years that knocked out power for days and did all kinds of damage. I'm not sure if the power outages are a comment on the severity of these storms, the decay of the power infrastructure, or the incompetence of the power companies. Maybe all three.

I agree, too, that the weather hype is insane, but it gets clicks, and you have to remember that 21 century journalism is click whores cranking out click bait. As long as people click on it, they'll keep churning it out, but it does tend to panic people. Now, since we just had a really bad storm, the media will ratchet up the weather hysteria even more. Every time it's going to rain or snow, they bill is as the worst storm ever (at least since the last worst storm ever). Like a broken clock, they will be right now and then, and that just keeps them going.

true.
All the news channels have "BREAKING NEWs" Alerts every couple of minutes.
How stupid!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:12 am 

I have no experience with snow, other than playing in it for a few hours on trips to the mountains that's an hour away.

On the news last night they were interviewing someone back east that had the power out for a few days due to the snow. She was complaining that she had to throw out the food in her refrigerator because it went bad. Is there something wrong with putting the food outside in a "cooler" or even open on a table in the garage? :roll:

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:14 am 

Pbpix wrote:
doug-5er wrote:
I think George Carlin said it best," Now for all you people who have been around for awhile they have a new term its called a Nor' Easter when I was a kid it was called SNOW"

R. I. P. George. I miss your whit.

You made me scratch my head and double check wit vs whit.... so perhaps just a typo?

Brain fade Peter :oops:

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:42 am 

Mike Toon wrote:
I have no experience with snow, other than playing in it for a few hours on trips to the mountains that's an hour away.

On the news last night they were interviewing someone back east that had the power out for a few days due to the snow. She was complaining that she had to throw out the food in her refrigerator because it went bad. Is there something wrong with putting the food outside in a "cooler" or even open on a table in the garage? :roll:

we had an ice storm in 2009 , my power was out for 7 days. I put all my food out on the front porch ( screened in) and did not loose a thing as it was in the low 20's the whole time. The insurance company asked if I had in food loss, I told them no, i stuck it outside to keep it from ruining. we had a tree bust a small hole in the roof the first day. I shoved a piece of used xray film from in the attic to cover the hole so we had no water damage when it thawed.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:03 am 

This happened here 2 weeks ago. We get rain and it is not flat land, so culverts wash out sometimes. This young person tried to drive through a washed out culvert, which must have been a raging torrent at that point. The car was picked up and washed down the bank, where it came to rest upside down under the waterfall. Driver hanging there, car rocking on its roof and boulders and stumps bouncing off of it. Rescue people, mostly volunteers, had to help her, and young SAR volunteer risked injury to himself, roped his way down and got her out.
A couple of hours later, just a trickle of water. She could have stayed home and watched the weather net on TV. But maybe she was out of chips. :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:58 am 

Mike Toon wrote:

That works only if the weather stays cold. We've had two heavy wet snows (not to mention the 60mph winds last week) less than a week apart that knocked down a lot of trees and wires. However, the daytime temps have been 30s to 40s. Not ideal for setting your food outside on the porch.

Larry

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:01 am 

Here in New England, we get winter storms almost every year, but the really nasty ones are fairly rare, fortunately. We had an ice storm in 2008, a freak October snowstorm (which I refer to as 'Febtober') in 2011, and a crazy October wind/rainstorm (fortunately, no snow, but we were still in the dark for days) six years later in late 2017.

I now consider the latter somewhat of a lucky break, as it proved that our generator still worked (it'd failed to start during the 'Febtober' storm, after which we'd had it repaired, but it hadn't been run since its return), and it indeed started up with little incident earlier today. I don't know how long we're gonna be in the dark (a figure of 72 hours has been bandied about on the news reports), but as long as the generator continues to run, we should be fine.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:10 am 

Do you-all remember when Marion Berry was mayor of DC? I lived in the Washington DC area at that time, and they could not keep the roads clear with small amounts of snow. Just as in St. Louis, the people with open (not-limited slip) differentials in their rear wheel drive cars had great difficulties. Rima saw this weather report about one foot of snow and was reminded of times when the Rozalimas, Lithuania area where she lived from birth until going to college would sometimes get three of four feet of snow, with plowed roads seeming to have snow walls on each side.

Any of you-all want to come visit southern CA now? Bring your beach wear :D

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:02 am 

I worked outside today; planted 6 tree saplings, and three flower bulbs (freebies with the tree order). Got a bit tuckered out, so quit even before the sun went down (not as young as I used to be). But it was gorgeous; blue skies with just a touch of high clouds, and warm enough that I had to take off my Tee Shirt.

Funny, I don't see any California haters in this thread...Seriously though, I see all that snow, power outages, etc., and wonder why anyone would put up with it. Is having 4 seasons really worth it?

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:09 pm 

As the saying goes, "Things are tough all over".
Pick a place on earth to live, and you will discover things you like, and dislike about it, including the weather.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:46 pm 

^ No argument there; we can cop to fire, flood, riot and earthquake, but except for the latter, the others really don't affect most of us. Last severe quake was in '93, so we're due for one, but at least it ain't a yearly event.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 3:26 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Joe Connor wrote:
Quote:

I agree, too, that the weather hype is insane, but it gets clicks, and you have to remember that 21 century journalism is click whores cranking out click bait. As long as people click on it, they'll keep churning it out, but it does tend to panic people. Now, since we just had a really bad storm, the media will ratchet up the weather hysteria even more. Every time it's going to rain or snow, they bill is as the worst storm ever (at least since the last worst storm ever). Like a broken clock, they will be right now and then, and that just keeps them going.

true.
All the news channels have "BREAKING NEWs" Alerts every couple of minutes.
How stupid!

My wife has grown tired of me shouting at the TV, "WELL, WHY DON'T YOU FIX IT?"
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next