Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does plumbing suck for everybody?
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:25 pm 

It can also be nasty business. The sink I replaced was as old as the house and just about rusted through. It was some cheap stamped steel deal. So I got a new Kohler cast iron sink. Anyway the old sink has always been slow to drain. I figured stuff was clogging the drain pipes somewhere. When I pulled the drain pipes off they were packed solid with a nice, long snake of solid hair. Pretty disgusting. Needless to say it drains fine now but as my wife has long hair...who knows how long that'll last?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:36 pm 

OMG yes! 60 year old house with galvanized pipe. Original, shallow
well with lots of iron and minerals. Old septic system. Old additions
that made pipe runs a convoluted mess.

Everytime I have to do any plumbing work it invariably turns into
an expensive nightmare. The extremely poor quality of even
expensive new fixture that don't last long adds to the misery.

I do all of my own work (cars, house) and always have but
hate plumbing with a passion.
Steve

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:00 pm 

It's not difficult if you know how to run a tape measurer. Take your time measuring, use copper and solder. Plastic pipe isn't always trustworthy, flex the same... cheap-o and crude. Makes you look like a cheapskate amateur.
Do I LIKE plumbing work? NO! But if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I don't really care how long it takes, I just work at it until the job is done.
Plastic pipe is ok for drain lines, not pressure lines. Others see it differently, but that's how I see it.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 4:55 pm 

The GOOD thing I've found with our house is that though it was made when galvanized pipe was the rage the whole thing is plumbed in copper and brass and so nothing rusts up. But the drain pipes from the kitchen and bathroom sinks are way undersized and so I bet I snake out the kitchen drain at least 5-6 times a year. I've actually gotten good at doing that too. My grandmother's house is totally plumbed with galvanized and everything is starting to slow way down

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:16 pm 

Plumbing is usually something that's not best done over the weekends.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 7:10 pm 

I hate doing plumbing, but it is a LOT cheaper to do it yourself vs paying someone.

After the clay pipe collapsed somewhere under the garage floor or driveway :evil: , I replaced all the drain lines from the sinks, bath tub, and toilet all the way to the septic tank. I did NOT tear the floor and driveway up, though. I routed it a different, easier way. I'm not a professional, so I doubt it is up to code, but it is 1000x better than the garbage that had been snowballing for 60+ years.

We are considering moving from here, but if we don't, I'll be replacing all the cobbled up, corroded, leaking copper crap with PVC or PEX. IMO, the only thing good about copper is that it is worth a few bucks when you rip it out and take it in for recycling. :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:25 pm 

I don't do anything that involves wet stuff. That includes chemistry. OK, I once made some nitrogen tri-iodide. And I once made some copper chloride. But I did those outside in old clothes.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:49 pm 

I have to admit I love plumbing and don't know why, perhaps it's the feeling of accomplishment and saving money from hiring an expensive plumber.

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:11 am 

Plumbing bad!

Electricity good.

It doesn’t leak on floor or rot out your vanity. It doesn’t usually smell. It doesn’t freeze. It’s just easier to work with.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:19 am 

Mark D wrote:
Plastic pipe is ok for drain lines, not pressure lines. Others see it differently, but that's how I see it.

Mark D.

This.

Pex is all the rage now, but at the end of the day, we still don't know what the life expectancy of it is. I remember when some folks were trying to say that pressurized PVC with glued joints was ok - now a lot of that stuff is starting to fail. I've replaced quite a bit of it at a family member's house that was built in the mid to late '90s. After 20 years, the joints were failing left and right. And the pipe was starting to get brittle.

I'll keep on sweating in copper. Unless you have corrosive chemicals in your water supply, you'll get a lifetime out of copper provided you use Type L and do a good job on your joints.

beat_truck wrote:
...I'll be replacing all the cobbled up, corroded leaking copper crap with PVC or PEX. IMO, the only thing good about copper is that it is worth a few bucks when you rip it out and take it in for recycling. :wink:

Copper plumbing should not be like that, especially if it was only installed in the 1950s. It sounds like an improper installation. Whoever installed it either didn't brush and flux the joints or used cheap solder.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:27 am 

Wiring and plumbing done well is satisfying. Most of it is grunt work, not the technical aspects.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:43 am 

When my house was built the drain pipe from the master bathroom was installed without enough drop per foot. In fact, part of it actually rose upward. I found that out when I was having to clean out the pipe about every month and fixtures weren't draining very well at all. I bit of looking at what the plumber did told me what I had to do. Rip it out and re-do it. He could have done it right, but was lazy. It has been just fine ever since I did it the right way.

It turned out that the contractor was using an unlicensed person pretending to be a plumber. The first day we moved in I noticed two leaks in the pressure pipes in the basement. I had to drain the pipes to get the water out, then melt the soldered joints, remove the elbow, clean it up and re-solder it.
The plumbing in the utility room looks like a Rube Goldberg concoction. But it hasn't leaked. Sooner or later I'm going to rip it all out and start over because I need to get the water softener out of the middle of the room. it works, but it sure isn't very esthetic. Looks like a child put it together.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:13 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
The sinks and click-clack (push to close, push to open) sink drains are from Italy and look wonderful, but somebody needs to tell the Italians that 1.25" flanged tailpieces are very hard to find in the USA, while 1.5" parts are plentiful. The easiest solution was to buy some drain assemblies which came with 1.25" flanged tailpieces and throw everything but the tailpieces away.

You need an 1¼" gal nipple and a small ball pein hammer. Put the tail pc in the nipple with ¼" above held in one hand. Start from the inside tapping as you turn. Takes 2 minutes. Been doing 1½" tail pcs that way forever. Faster than the fancy flanging tool the boss bought me in 1970.

Then came ABS.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:20 am 

zenith82 wrote:
beat_truck wrote:
...I'll be replacing all the cobbled up, corroded leaking copper crap with PVC or PEX. IMO, the only thing good about copper is that it is worth a few bucks when you rip it out and take it in for recycling. :wink:

Copper plumbing should not be like that, especially if it was only installed in the 1950s. It sounds like an improper installation. Whoever installed it either didn't brush and flux the joints or used cheap solder.

The joints aren't the problem. The pipes themselves keep rotting from the insides out. :evil: It must be the water here. I have no idea when the plumbing was originally installed, not that it matters since most have been replaced repeatedly, a section at a time.

When I replaced all the drain lines, I found a leaking water pipe under the vanity that rotted some of the floor. When replacing the floor, just working around some of the rotten pipes caused them to completely let go. I'm ashamed to say it but, I was so sick to death of everything I touched snowballing on me and didn't want to start replacing the entire water system, I just capped off the lines going to the vanity and ran a piece of automotive heater hose to the pipe supplying the toilet. :oops: I'm done replacing a section at a time just to have it start leaking somewhere else. If we decide not to move out of this dump, it will eventually get replaced with PVC or Pex all at once.

My neighbor who is a contractor had the same problem, and is even on a different well. Before he got fed up and ripped everything out and went to Pex, he was also constantly chasing leaks from rotten copper plumbing.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:57 am 

I am another of those who avoids any plumbing work. It seems as though every time I try to fix a plumbing problem, something breaks because it is all limed up or corroded and won't come apart. I learned some time ago that most faucet leaks are better fixed with a new faucet because trying to get the old faucet apart usually destroys it. Even though it is more expensive, I call a plumber. They have most every thing on the truck and I don't have to worry about being without water for an extended length of time in case something breaks.

The home improvement shows on TV are always such a joke when they show how to replace a faucet. The faucet they "replace" doesn't look like it was used and it comes right out with no problems. Why don't they show where you are crawling on your back underneath a sink, reaching way above your head, and trying to remove an old limed up fixture that is stuck in place and where the shut off valves are limed up and won't turn? Now that's how it is in real life! :D

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:09 am 

Tbone wrote:
Plumbing bad!

Electricity good.

It doesn’t leak on floor or rot out your vanity. It doesn’t usually smell. It doesn’t freeze. It’s just easier to work with.

Yes indeed; and it's very patient until you make that one little mistake... :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:29 am 

But the goof is noticed quickly, as opposed to walking into a room in your sock feet one night and finding that things are a little damper than usual.

RRM

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:13 pm 

I do not find plumbing to be harder than electrical work, carpentry, or drywall installation/finishing, just different from each other. Between reading a good book or two on basic plumbing, online discussions, and the California Plumbing Code, it was all just like real-life Tinker Toys in a way. (Just heavier and sometimes smellier.) For my kitchen relocation, I did copper, cast iron, and black (gas) piping.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

My plumber is on my cell phone contact list, it is the one job I have always hated doing.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:02 pm 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
I have to admit I love plumbing and don't know why, perhaps it's the feeling of accomplishment and saving money from hiring an expensive plumber.

Yes, I'll admit to having enjoyed it too. My last house (Downieville, Cal.) had all of the plumbing readily accessible -- none of it was buried in the walls -- since it was installed about 50 years after the house was built (1854). In the bath for instance, it would run along the baseboards and was painted to match same. Where it ran up along the wainscoting, it was painted to match that too and so forth. Cast iron drain piping snaked every which way along the exterior of the walls. I understand for aesthetics most want it out of sight, but if there was ever a leak with my set up, you instantly knew it and it made things so much more maintenance friendly.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 72 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next