Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 22, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: radio transmitter
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:40 pm 

so i dont know where you are but here where i am the only thing on AM anymore is mexicans, politics and church stations :oops: ... is there any way i can make a small am radio transmitter so i can hook it up to my computer which has a bunch of old music on it, i want somewthing easy to make, small and cheap. i only need it to transmit maybe 10 feet. i want to transmit on AM channel 850 if at all possible.

Post subject: Re: radio transmitter
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

You can look in the Homebrew section of ARF for several different schematics of transmitters that are relatively simple to build. Most of them use a crystal controlled oscillator, so what frequency you are going to transmit on depends upon being able to purchase that oscillator component for the specific frequency you need, which is often not possible to obtain. However you could build one of the transmitters that has a tunable output frequency.

You could also buy a ready made unit from Talking House which has an ad on the right side of the page-------->

Most people have had the best luck with transmitters that operate near the high end of the AM band around 1600 or so.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: radio transmitter
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 5:31 pm 

+1 Dennis,

I exclusively stream off my computer/Internet. I like to listen to an oldies Internet station out of Connecticut. I have a small transmitter that I use which might work for you too. PM me and I'll send you a small PDF document that has the print and all the other information about it. Parts are cheap and simple, you should be able to get them all in your area.