Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 9:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1970's Tabletop Recommendation
PostPosted: Jul Tue 31, 2018 11:07 pm 

Here's a YouTube video (24 min. long!) comparing four Sony table radios - ICF-9740W, ICF-9580W, ICF-9650W & ICF-9540W.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 01, 2018 1:45 am 

Tensilversaxes wrote:
I really want one of these proton radios AND a 70's era Sony. The Sony should be easy to come by and not too pricey. I may have to be patient for the proton.

Not sure about the radio-only models, but the clock radio models tend to be fairly easy to find. I found my first Proton 320 (in gray) at a flea market for $3; it's sitting on my bedside table as we speak. I later found a white one at a swapmeet for $5 or $10; it has issues with the alarm, but hopefully it won't be too hard to fix.

As far as RS-420s go, I found my first one of those, with its matching RS-421 speaker, at an antique radio swapmeet for $20; it sat on my beside table for a few years until it developed 'hum bars' on the fluorescent display. My second one, this time paired with a RS-422 clock/speaker extension, was recently acquired at Savers for a total of $14. They had each unit priced separately, which is stupid since the RS-422 won't do anything without being connected to the RS-420, AFAIK.

In addition to these, I ended up getting a Proton RS-330 (made for them by Sangean, apparently) and the matching RS-332 extension clock/speaker at a local audio gathering for free. They power up, but currently make no sound. Hopefully, it won't be too hard to figure out what's wrong with them.
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Aug Wed 01, 2018 3:55 am 

Thanks for the YouTube link! Also, I'll have to check out the other proton clock options. Ah, for a vintage radio store where I could demo all these different radios
Youtube video helps though.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 01, 2018 3:58 am 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Rocco53 wrote:
I have the Sony TFM-9450W

Sounds better than any other radio it's size, it has a 6 inch speaker. Early 70's easy to maintain.

Wood cabinet always sounds better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sony-T ... m570.l1313

I'm not sure of the model number, but I agree with the Sony. I'm looking at mine from across the room; it has four black knobs, and is otherwise styled like this one.

Out of all the radios in my collection, this is a prized one because it has a personal connection. I remember buying it new; I bought it at Memco, which was right across the street from Andrews AFB in Maryland. I wanted to buy a nice kitchen radio for my mom, for Christmas or birthday, don't remember which. Out of all the radios on display, this one sounded head-and-shoulders better than any of the others. She put it in the kitchen and listened to it for years and years -- mostly religious programs such as Dale Crowley (who had been on the air every day since 1920!). When my parents moved to Florida the radio came with them, and was used extensively in the kitchen there. It was replaced eventually with a Bose Wave Radio. They are now gone -- the Sony is in my shop and gets used occasionally. The Bose is in our bedroom, used as a clock radio.

Now i want to listen to this Dale Crowley guy just to hear what he sounded like. Piece of American history I'd never heard of before!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2