Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 16, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ralph O. Williams
PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 9:54 pm 

I am reading a book about the Atwater Kent radios by Ralph O. Williams, who according to the internet, was one of the foremost experts on Atwater Kent radios and has possibly the largest collection of those radios back in the day. I found out recently that Williams also made replica's of AK parts and breadboards. I knew about the tube shades since I have some, but I was not aware of anything else until recently. Were many of the fakes passed off as real? I am curious and would like to know more details.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

Post subject: Re: Ralph O. Williams
PostPosted: Dec Thu 06, 2018 10:58 pm 

Quote:
Were many of the fakes passed off as real? I am curious and would like to know more details.
No, Ralph made A-K 5, tapped variometer and crystal mount resin castings. The resin was very close in color but had a certain translucent property. If any of these replicas have been passed on as real, well shame on both the seller and the buyer. I was at his Orient Point, L.I. museum when he "re-opened" it in FWIR '85, breadboards from floor to ceiling, all different models...

FWIR A-K sold variometers without a face-plate for inclusion behind a panel, I have one in fact, in a hard rubber panel set...

PostPosted: Dec Fri 07, 2018 12:35 am 

You can tell the reproduction castings, as they just don't have the quality of the original bakelite.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 3:47 am 

Scroll down in the following thread and you'll learn some pretty interesting information about Ralph Williams:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=195267

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 4:04 am 

I read that one Terry, a couple of weeks ago. But thanks for the posting.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 4:50 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Chas wrote:
I was at his Orient Point, L.I. museum when he "re-opened" it in FWIR '85, breadboards from floor to ceiling, all different models...

I was there too, that was my first up north radio meet. I was stunned by Ralph's
AK collection.
Were you there on Friday for the indoor flea market due to the raging rain storm?
If I had a scanner I'd do the photos I took that weekend.

cheers

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 5:36 am 

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:
...Were you there on Friday for the indoor flea market due to the raging rain storm?
If I had a scanner I'd do the photos I took that weekend..cheers
Yes, I was Ron, It is but shadows in my memory, FWIR I was late for the Flea, I do recall a Wireless Specialty Admiralty loop, unfolded, resting on the floor, had deep lavender colored wire, nearly as tall as I... I still admire that loop...

I entered a contest for the radio made most east on L.I. I had prefabbed a crystal radio requiring assembly of the slider, crystal and fannestock clips. It did fetch both 77 WABC Radio and the ribbon...

I came for three days, with the wife and the two girls, just got a new AMC Concord station wagon, gold color with leather seats. New London to Orient Point, Long Island, NY Ferry... I do have some photos but I don't know where they are, I know one was taken from the upper deck of the ferry looking down on the stern at my car. It was 35mm Vivitar. I may have had the Stereo camera too. If so, I know where those slides are...

For more than 10 years I would get a postcard inviting me to stay at the same motor inn...

The Williams home was on almost tidal property, FWIR not much more than 30 feet above sea level. Personally, I didn't think it a good site for a radio museum...

Thanks for refreshing my memories...

BTW I picked up a Canon LiDe 30 USB scanner on ebay, local pickup, years ago $20. I use it with Xsane software. Still works a treat...

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 5:38 pm 

Chas wrote:
...Were you there on Friday for the indoor flea market due to the raging rain storm?
If I had a scanner I'd do the photos I took that weekend..cheers
Yes, I was Ron, It is but shadows in my memory, FWIR I was late for the Flea, I do recall a Wireless Specialty Admiralty loop, unfolded, resting on the floor, had deep lavender colored wire, nearly as tall as I... I still admire that loop...

I entered a contest for the radio made most east on L.I. I had prefabbed a crystal radio requiring assembly of the slider, crystal and fannestock clips. It did fetch both 77 WABC Radio and the ribbon...

I came for three days, with the wife and the two girls, just got a new AMC Concord station wagon, gold color with leather seats. New London to Orient Point, Long Island, NY Ferry... I do have some photos but I don't know where they are, I know one was taken from the upper deck of the ferry looking down on the stern at my car. It was 35mm Vivitar. I may have had the Stereo camera too. If so, I know where those slides are...

For more than 10 years I would get a postcard inviting me to stay at the same motor inn...

The Williams home was on almost tidal property, FWIR not much more than 30 feet above sea level. Personally, I didn't think it a good site for a radio museum...

Thanks for refreshing my memories...

BTW I picked up a Canon LiDe 30 USB scanner on ebay, local pickup, years ago $20. I use it with Xsane software. Still works a treat...

Chas

I always wonder if the collection is still intact when I pass that beautiful big old house at Orient. I never did make a visit unfortunately. It's really way out at almost the tip of the North Fork although I never heard of that area getting flooded.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 6:41 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Chas[/quote]

I always wonder if the collection is still intact when I pass that beautiful big old house at Orient. I never did make a visit unfortunately. It's really way out at almost the tip of the North Fork although I never heard of that area getting flooded.[/quote]

As far as I know the collection is still intact.
I'll ask a friend to find out for sure.

cheers

PostPosted: Dec Mon 17, 2018 7:01 pm 

Chas

I always wonder if the collection is still intact when I pass that beautiful big old house at Orient. I never did make a visit unfortunately. It's really way out at almost the tip of the North Fork although I never heard of that area getting flooded.[/quote]

As far as I know the collection is still intact.
I'll ask a friend to find out for sure.

cheers[/quote]
Thanks Ron. I wonder if there's still tours by appointment, although I doubt it at this point.