Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 19, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kountdown to Kutztown XXXVII, Roll Kall Time! Sept 15-16
PostPosted: Sep Wed 13, 2017 3:27 pm 

early selling killled Elgin for ARCI, looks like Renningers is trying to get a handle on it. You want Saturday to have a lot of stock out to sell as Kutztown gets a lot of newbies and general public.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 3:44 pm 

Mark, you could not have said it better..... that's exactly the goal. It's a successful show and everyone involved wants it to continue for many years to come. That will require new interest in the hobby as we lose longstanding collectors. Thursday is a courtesy to vendors to set up in a relaxed atmosphere before the chaos of the show. If it's abused to the point of harming the show in any way, expect it to disappear. Admittedly, this is a touchy subject among some attendees; the hope is most vendors realize anything they sell on Thursday will sell just as easily on Friday. I'd ask the radio community to try not to put the personal gain of beating out your fellow collectors ahead of the good-will of the show in general. There are more than enough radios out there for everyone...... And if you meet a newbie at the show (most likely on Saturday), spend a few moments and welcome them into the hobby.

Last edited by J.N. Shetler on Sep Thu 14, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 3:48 pm 

If anyone gets to Dryville, this is an amazing store where I buy tons of bulk goods. http://www.echohillcountrystore.com/ I get all my flour to bake bread there.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 5:59 pm 

I am almost done packing!
I have to go get the van rental and then pack it tight. Again, I don't think I can bring everything, :roll:
I will be in booth 650-652 in the second pavilion.

Attachments:
IMG_5514.JPG
IMG_5514.JPG [ 114.26 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
IMG_5515.JPG
IMG_5515.JPG [ 101.45 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
IMG_5516.JPG
IMG_5516.JPG [ 88.52 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG [ 130.5 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 6:10 pm 

As for the buying early..
It is a problem even with SOME "vendors" or resellers as they should be called. It is the same 6 guys every time. Most of the guys I get at 4:00 AM try to buy anything good and then sell it at their booth for double. That takes the deals away from the collectors.
I am not one of those who says "I got my money and who cares". I usually refuse to sell until the public is allowed in. If I do sell early they are gonna pay more.

Thats just my opinion...
See Y'all at 2:00 am tomorrow!

:)

PostPosted: Sep Thu 14, 2017 10:31 pm 

I can't make it this time. (again) Nice to see the ARF table is still active. :) I used to get what I call the pickers try to get stuff before I got unpacked! :shock: I told them to try on Sat about noon. :twisted:

Doug

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 12:55 am 

Hergi, where ya been? We were talking about you at the spring show wondering where you got to.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 1:54 am 

hergi wrote:
I can't make it this time. (again) Nice to see the ARF table is still active. :) I used to get what I call the pickers try to get stuff before I got unpacked! :shock: I told them to try on Sat about noon. :twisted:

Doug

I'm gonna use that!
They try to get into my van and I get super pissed. When they start collecting around me unpacking I stop unpacking and go for a walk.
Then when they run off to another victim I go back to unload more :twisted:

Leaving in a few hours for the meet...

Be safe everyone!

:)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 15, 2017 12:53 pm 

Hope you all have a good time. Travel safe and don't forget to take pidtures so we all can see what we missed. Might see you all next Sept. not in May fhat is our 50th so will nave to do something nice .

PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2017 1:53 pm 

We tripped down yesterday and rolled in around 1:30. Enjoyed seeing all the wares and listening to you guys discussing things with customers and each other. Many thanks to Mr. Oppat and the other gentleman for taking the time to review my schematic and discuss my upcoming phonograph restoration project. Hope all went well with your truck repairs. We made two circuits through all the booths, signed up for Radio Age, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2017 4:31 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
early selling killled Elgin for ARCI, looks like Renningers is trying to get a handle on it. You want Saturday to have a lot of stock out to sell as Kutztown gets a lot of newbies and general public.
Mark Oppat

First of all, Elgin was a location. Radiofest is the show.

Second, how to you criticize a show when you have not been there in years? When was the last time you were at Radiofest Mark?

Should be a forum rule cannot negatively comment unless you were there.

Finally, Radiofest is now larger than MARC and continues to grow. Despite your opinion Mark, there are people who do not like the new location.

This used to be an OK forum but when we have certain users just criticize for the purpose of trying to promote their own show, they should go away.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Sep Sat 16, 2017 8:19 pm 

To John H.: The picture you posted in this thread on 08SEP2017 shows my older daughter with her boyfriend sitting at my table.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 12:31 am 

Kutztown was another wonderful show!
The weather cooperated so well!
Huge turnout!

The only complaint I have is when I left home, gas was $2.21 a Gal. I get in PA and I see anything from $2.82 to $3.03 :shock:

I get back home and its $2.12 here. What gives? I've not seen such a difference in previous trips.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Last edited by azenithnut on Sep Mon 18, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 12:44 am 

Steve, the day after the hurricane hit Texas it jumped 50 cents a gal in one shot. Greed, pure and simple.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:55 am 

PA increased its gas tax 8% on January 1. https://www.google.com/amp/www.phillyma ... e/%3famp=1

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 9:57 am 

Gee, how nice….

It did jump up after Harvey here as well, but came back down soon after. Yeah, the tax doesn't help matters.
I only had to fill the tank once in PA but it was a $50 fill up.

Nonetheless, Kutztown was EXCELLENT! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 9:33 pm 

Gasoline in Massho- err, Massachusetts was somewhere between $2.59 and $2.79/gal (depending on the station) when I left, and the same when I returned. The gas station I filled up at in/near Kutztown before leaving was priced at $2.84/gal, which was actually a bit cheaper than the ever-gouging rest stop service station on the Mass Pike at $2.88/gal. Before Harvey started giving the distributors a 'reason' to gouge, I could find gas locally for around $2.29/gal.

Anyway, Kutztown was great as usual! Saw lots of cool stuff, talked to lots of nice people, and had fun at the ever-so-blasphemous bonfire. :wink: Spent more money than I should've, but I think I did fairly well overall. Just have to figure out what to do with all the stuff I bought.......... :roll:
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 9:50 pm 

Hi,

Kutztown was a lot of fun and a beautiful area. It was my first time there. The drive time got me real tired- 9.5 hours from Indy.

I spent a lot of money. Gas was high in Pa. The real surprise for me was the Pennsylvania Turnpike toll- $20.05 each way. Ouch.

I did have a very good time. It was good to meet ARF people in person as well as other radio collectors. I Bought 4 radios, a tube caddy, knobs, books, tubes, DVHRC Tee shirt and parts. The prices were higher than I expected. There was one booth that was doing "close out" sales, so I bought some radios there. I will go again, but it may be a year or so before I do.

Joe

PostPosted: Sep Mon 18, 2017 10:00 pm 

Joe, it was good to meet you!

I was sitting a few seats away from you at the Basin Street Hotel and came over to say hello when Terry and John (Eliot Ness) introduced us.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Sep Tue 19, 2017 7:46 am 

azenithnut wrote:
The only complaint I have is when I left home, gas was $2.21 a Gal. I get in PA and I see anything from $2.82 to $3.03 :shock:

I get back home and its $2.12 here. What gives? I've not seen such a difference in previous trips.

-Steve

PA has the highest gas tax rate in the entire country now. Not the highest prices (I think CA & HI is still worse), but the highest tax rate.

Our last governor on his way out of office implemented a 30-cent rate hike plus 200-400% hike in all DMV fees. With the gas, the hike was split into 3 or 4 smaller-hikes spaced out so that it wouldn't be instantaneously painful.

Then this hurricane business down south has temporary shut down a few refineries and driven gas prices up by another 30 cents but its slowly coming back down to around 2.68 (about where it was before the hurricanes).