Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 16, 2018 3:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Annual CHRS Radio Day by the Bay flea market & auction 7/21
PostPosted: Jun Mon 25, 2018 5:51 pm 

Its that time of year again. On July 21st will be our annual all-day event.

As usual we have a HUGE amount of stuff out back in the electronics flea: radios, sound equipment, records, parts, tubes, tape players, hi-fi, speakers... Two shipping containers worth of stuff, most priced low to move. Get there BEFORE 8:00AM to save your spot at the gates.

The auction will feature a wide variety of radios, stereo and hifi equipment, commercial and military receivers and so on. We are building the auction list now. Some sets are sets I have personally worked on and were shown here on this site.

I will be updating this post until the event so stay tuned...

https://www.californiahistoricalradio.c ... 21st-2018/

Post subject: Re: Annual CHRS Radio Day by the Bay flea market & auction 7
PostPosted: Jul Tue 03, 2018 4:27 pm 

The auction catalog has been updated.

NOTE: We will have a Magnavox Concert Grand AND an 18" Jensen, L-18 speaker- two highly coveted "holy grail" pieces. Should be exciting...

https://www.californiahistoricalradio.c ... ary-v3.pdf

PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 5:23 pm 

Latest update to the auction catalog. This year we've got a fairly wide variety of stuff.
https://www.californiahistoricalradio.c ... ary-v5.pdf

PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 2:47 pm 

Thanks for the updates Bob. In years past most auction items have
a minimum price. I'd sure be nice to know what these are before
the auction. Maybe add them to the published listings?

Looking forward, as always, to finding and buying lots of treasures!
Steve

PostPosted: Jul Mon 16, 2018 4:15 pm 

We will be doing something different this year for the auction. People told us how much they didn't like reserves. So this year there's no reserves. Just starting prices and that's it. That way it will hopefully make people less annoyed..

Anyway... here are pictures from Saturday. We are almost done setting up. As you can see there is a LOT of stuff. This is a sampling of what you'll see:

Auction pieces:

Hi-fi gear outside, back corner of yard.

More stuff including a Scott radio
An entire shipping container is packed full like this:

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 5:08 am 

I didn't make it this time. What did the 18-inch Jensen sell for?

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 7:26 pm 

Very well run event as usual. There's enough variety (radio play, radio-era music performance, presentation about the KSAN documentary film, auction, flea market, tours, and the permanent collection) there that I would recommend anyone on the west coast might consider a special trip to check it out next year. A ton of work goes into it, and there are perhaps no other events like this in the U.S. for radio enthusiasts.

Auction buyers were few and far between. Need to lower the starting bids (but thanks for eliminating the reserves). I bought a lot of radios, but I was the only one who bought a lot. Most items went unsold, and probably fewer than 10 items (out of 177) received more than a single bid. So, a lot of stuff sold for the starting price, which means this was a buyers heaven. Another reason for west coast people to make the trip. Tons of really nice stuff at very good prices!

Thanks to all who made this happen. It was outstanding!

PostPosted: Jul Sun 22, 2018 9:34 pm 

The 18" Jensen went to a guy sitting behind me for its starting bid of $4800. Agreed that it was a buyers market though the starting prices in general were realistic: not too high/ low -- just middle of the road. I bought an unrestored '30s tombstone made in...Sweden for $65. It will need two tubes though ($$$). Also a circa 1940 Weston transconductance type tube tester in a beautiful quarter sawn oak case for not much as well. I bid on one of those angular sided Jackson Bell cathedrals with the rising sun pattern speaker cutout for its opening of $130 but it let it go to another bidder for $140. A prewar Solar brand capacitor analyzer (that can be used as a 600V megger too!) and a handful of circa 1925 QST's rounded things out at $8. Met a new member working the front door who brought his circa 1900 playing music box. Beautiful to listen to. As usual, the weather in Alameda was a pleasant 70-something degrees under blue skies while the rest of the bay area bakes.

Chris

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 5:42 am 

KJ6OFC wrote:
The 18" Jensen went to a guy sitting behind me for its starting bid of $4800. Agreed that it was a buyers market though the starting prices in general were realistic: not too high/ low -- just middle of the road. I bought an unrestored '30s tombstone made in...Sweden for $65. It will need two tubes though ($$$). Also a circa 1940 Weston transconductance type tube tester in a beautiful quarter sawn oak case for not much as well. I bid on one of those angular sided Jackson Bell cathedrals with the rising sun pattern speaker cutout for its opening of $130 but it let it go to another bidder for $140. A prewar Solar brand capacitor analyzer (that can be used as a 600V megger too!) and a handful of circa 1925 QST's rounded things out at $8. Met a new member working the front door who brought his circa 1900 playing music box. Beautiful to listen to. As usual, the weather in Alameda was a pleasant 70-something degrees under blue skies while the rest of the bay area bakes.

Chris

$4800 seems about the going rate for one of those Jensens.

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 4:00 pm 

Overall at the end of the day we did ok. A few higher priced items came in to save the day because for whatever reason this year we had only about 60% of the attendance from last year despite having more stuff than last year. We have been trying to figure out how to attract the general public more to these events and we clearly have some work to do. Some of the items- like the German sets with bluetooth adapters installed- had higher starting bid. Not crazy high amounts but even so there were few bids on those. All of those are now earmarked for upcoming antique shows coming up in the next few months. At this point we've come to realize that many of the more common and perhaps less desirable collector's sets- like the German sets- will do well at antique shows.

We still have the Magnavox Concert Grand. Nobody bid on it, which was amazing as someone could have had it for a steal. We will be checking it out soon and probably list it on ebay, craigslist, and here.

The event went very smoothly and we were able to conduct the show almost automatically and all who volunteered knew what they were doing. A great big thanks to not only all of you who came but to all of those who helped out.

Quote:
I bought an unrestored '30s tombstone made in...Sweden for $65

We almost kept that for the collection. I've never seen anything like it. I'm glad you got it and when and if you get it going, let us know!

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 4:33 pm 

I think part of the lessened interest was the relative lack of higher-end 1930's radios compared to previous auctions. IIRC last year or the year before there were several Zenith 9S30's and a 10S130. There are usually some nice consoles too. This year there weren't many examples of that type of radio.

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 23, 2018 8:34 pm 

Its a total luck of the draw for us. All dependent on what comes in for us to auction. Last year and the year before that we managed to get lucky with one or two huge estates that came in. This year it was a combination of individual donations, our own members contributing some of their excessive inventory and plain old fashioned grunt work: Many sets that required total overhauls which took a lot of time. Last year we had a single estate come in that was heavy on desirable Zenith radios. There were some good sets that were in the flea market but were in rather bad shape and we didn't have the time to try to get those done. Anyway, we had fun. Steve apparently slept for 12+ hours straight afterwards. He has been at the museum almost every day for over a month. The sheetrock, downstairs flooring, elevator, stairs, and then the enormous task of cleaning up the building with its mountains of stuff all happened in about a month. These shows really gets us into action. I was barely able to walk yesterday.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 2:07 pm 

Great show as always. Had a blast. My hat is off to all of the folks that
put in the hours.

Attendance at the auction was the lowest I've seen yet. As already
stated, opening min prices too high and my guestimate is 50 - 60%
of items were not sold. Bagged the Philco 50 and the guy
I came with bought a few. We also bought the AK 12 for a
friend that could not attend.

Had most of the fun in the boneyard and filled up the car with
purchases there. If we had more room would have come back with
more. Suggest lowering prices more agressively later in the
day. There was still a lot by the time we left around 3 PM.
I'd like to se more of these sales during the year.
I live far away but would put in the miles to attend these.
Steve

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

Just a note: whats left from the boneyard will be aggressively marked down over the next several weeks. We need to get rid of a lot of it because otherwise we don't have room to cram it all back into storage.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:46 pm 

Will there be a sale of boneyard items this Saturday?

Also, unsold items from the auction? There was at least one item that I didn't bid on that I am interested in (it received no bids).

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:49 pm 

Basically... we dramatically added to the "free" pile. So first of all, all of that stuff will be... free. Secondly, items will be marked down drastically in most cases. As for leftover auction items? We would need to know which one(s) as some that didn't get sold have been earmarked for a sales event in late August at the Niles Fremont Antique show. Anyway, there isn't exactly an official "sale" per say this Saturday but anyone that comes by and looks at whatever's there can get pretty good deals on the leftovers. Especially the consoles, which by now are almost all entirely free.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 8:55 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Overall at the end of the day we did ok. A few higher priced items came in to save the day because for whatever reason this year we had only about 60% of the attendance from last year despite having more stuff than last year. We have been trying to figure out how to attract the general public more to these events and we clearly have some work to do.

As much as I hate to say it, this could simply be the result of a general diminishing of interest in the objects of our hobby. IIRC one of our members posted a sort of how-to to attract ppl to radio swap meets, awhile back. I think it was Mark Oppat.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 24, 2018 11:19 pm 

Its definitely an "Old man hobby". I'm 41 and maybe the 3rd youngest member out of 300+. People who collect these things are also passing away at an increased pace. As such the reason why every year MORE items show up, primarily in the out back electronics flea market. Our goal is to avoid throwing that stuff away but we wind up throwing more and more or it away every year. We are hoping that once the building is finally in good shape we can focus more on community outreach and maybe how to make what we do seem "cool" to more people from more diverse backgrounds. I will say we do have a 14 year old kid who is one of our most enthusiastic members and seriously knows every single Handicrafters model ever made. We need more like him for sure.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 3:44 am 

I had a great time. I'm definitely one of the younger members (40). I wanted to bid on some stuff at the auction, but I'm still learning. I know just enough to be dangerous at this point. I did come home with an awesome Transoceanic from the yard sale that cleaned up and plays beautifully. I just need to find a few more bits to complete it. I look forward to attending future events.

Karl