Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 18, 2017 9:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kutztown XXXIV May 12-14
PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2016 3:08 am 

Don't be afraid of a little rain. The Kutztown radio meet is out of the rain under two large pavilions (and I mean large) About two thirds of the vendors have arrived and are set up already and waiting for the start tomorrow morning.

(There's also wi-fi here now also).

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2016 3:15 am 

It may have been raining outside but it sure was sunny inside. Great to meet so many friendly people. It is an amazing event. Wish I knew about it before. I'll be back in September!!!

Mike

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2016 9:38 pm 

Great week, even with some California dew on Friday. Vertical rain never bothers me and it had very little effect on the goings-on. Sat morning the sun was out in full force and it was beautiful. Sold some, bought some, re-kindled many friendships, and met some nice new folks as well as said goodbye, posthumously, to the guy who set up alongside me for several years. R.I.P. Sam.

Already looking forward to September. Everyone should attend at least once, you'll want to come again and again. :wink:

Larry

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 2:27 am 

Man, that was fun! Even with the rain on Friday, things went quite well. Managed a few interesting finds, and actually managed to sell some stuff for once! Only minuses were the mudpuddles after the storm, and the blustery winds which hit shortly before I started taking down my tent (as tends to be the case whenever I'm camping). The high point, of course, was the Friday night festivities, including the ever-so-blasphemous bonfire. Can't wait for the next one! :)
-Adam

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 2:00 pm 

Was up Friday morning just after 8:00 for a couple of hours. Found almost everything on a long shopping list of tubes and parts, and a huge 36 x 36" piece of grille cloth that is perfect for a console I'm going to restore this summer.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 4:16 pm 

That was an amazing show in spite of the weather!

In fact, the weather wasn't too bad all things considered!

I had such a great time and found a few prizes! E. H. Scott FM tuner, Atwater Kent 708 cathedral, Jensen D-8 speaker and a beautiful Stewart Warner Ferrodyne R-1495-A from Rock!

Got rid of all 5 consoles I brought, but one chassis came home with me. Oh well :wink:

It was great to see everyone, and I know I missed some of you. Thanks for the great time!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 4:48 pm 

For everyone that took pictures, please post them!

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 5:07 pm 

Finally got to go to my first radio meet in Kutztown. I got up at 6am and tok the 2 1/2 hour drive down from here in Wiliamsport. Got to see the "beautiful" towns of Ashville, Centralia, Frackvile, Pottsville, and Manheim....lol Reminded me of going to a high school playoff game. I went in search of a late 30's Zenith airplane dial console set and after quickly looking through the options I was pleased to do business with a guy named Steve. I picked up a 38 Zenith 9-S-262. It sounds great and looks nice as well, not perfect but i didn't need it to be. I'm glad I made the trip and look forward to coming again in Sept. I also picked up some records I was looking for and a couple of pocket transistor radios. Saw a whole bunch of stuff I wanted to take home, but blew my budget this trip. Going to get some more goodies in the fall. And As a bonus I had a reason to stop in Hamburg at Cabela's on my way home, and at Catawissa Bottling Company to grab a few cases of Moxie soda. Made it all the better and even got me out of mowing the grass. thanks to all I spoke with and shared stories and information with me.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 5:15 pm 

Sadly, Cabella's won't be around much longer. They recently got bought out by Bass Pro Shops. On your next trip, the tour of the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville is worth checking out. I else recommend picking up a six pack of any of the fine soft drinks from the Kutztown Bottling Works. Their birch beer, root beer and especially the cream sodas are unlike any you've ever tasted.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 8:33 pm 

It is truly not possible... Just not!

I emptied everything from my workshop into a van. I took it and sold off a ton.. I loaded the rest into the van and it just fits into the workshop... I bought 3 radios and 2 record players... I sold about 25-30 and got rid of 2 consoles...
How do I have LESS room!???

I gotta go through these boxes and see what people stuffed into my van because unless this is the radio version of the Jesus fish and bread story, there is something wrong :lol:

Attachments:
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2876.JPG [ 178.84 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]
IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG [ 178.3 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 9:42 pm 

ekimetsok wrote:
Sadly, Cabella's won't be around much longer. They recently got bought out by Bass Pro Shops. On your next trip, the tour of the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville is worth checking out. I else recommend picking up a six pack of any of the fine soft drinks from the Kutztown Bottling Works. Their birch beer, root beer and especially the cream sodas are unlike any you've ever tasted.

and Sarsaparilla, Hoppy's favorite drink!

Larry

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2016 11:21 pm 

ekimetsok wrote:

I have been to Pottsville plenty of times and have been through the Yuengling brewery before. Cabelas just reminded me of a big bass pro shop anyways, i like them both so not a big deal. i get all of my Cabelas stuff online anyhow. I was told to stop at the record store in Kutztown as well to check it out. I'm going to bring my dad with me next time and spend more time looking around.

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 1:56 am 

OldRestorer wrote:

I emptied everything from my workshop into a van. I took it and sold off a ton.. I loaded the rest into the van and it just fits into the workshop... I bought 3 radios and 2 record players... I sold about 25-30 and got rid of 2 consoles...

I gotta go through these boxes and see what people stuffed into my van because unless this is the radio version of the Jesus fish and bread story, there is something wrong :lol:

I believe it's referred to as Spontaneous Equipment Densification. If you get rid of a bunch of junk, the remaining junk detects this, and expands to fill the empty space. It's been known to occur with vinyl records and cars as well. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 2:15 am 

Adam Vaughn wrote:
OldRestorer wrote:

I believe it's referred to as Spontaneous Equipment Densification. If you get rid of a bunch of junk, the remaining junk detects this, and expands to fill the empty space. It's been known to occur with vinyl records and cars as well. :wink: :lol:

LOL
I cant handle that right now.. I locked the shed and drank the rest of my beers from the Kutztown cooler...
I'll dive in in the morning! :twisted:

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 11:37 am 

I call it, "playing 3 dimensional Tetris!" :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2016 10:49 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
I call it, "playing 3 dimensional Tetris!" :D

-Steve

Yep, I play that 'game' all the time when hauling stuff to/from shows. Everything has to go in/out of the car in an exact order, in a certain way. I've also referred to it as "Junk Jenga". :lol:

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2016 1:45 am 

Slideshow-

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=300402

John H.