Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What's left of Sarasota
PostPosted: Oct Fri 21, 2016 1:35 am 

Got a phone call today. Finally finally finally, other club members want to get together and talk. A little news:

1. It's finally official: NO MORE MT. DORA. We're finished. Renninger's won't even talk to us, why should we help them?

2. The Elks Lodge is out, and the December 3 date is in question.

3. If we have a show at all, it may be a tailgate meet in a parking lot in Sarasota, probably in March.

I made it clear that I'm no longer attending any show, anywhere, period. My level of enthusiasm has dropped from 100% to near zero. I said the only thing I'll do is give advice, and help someone else who wants to set up a show. Well, I suppose if the Sarasota club hosts a tailgate show, I'll probably attend it to help out.

If/when there's more news, I'll share.

Post subject: Re: What's left of Sarasota
PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2016 3:04 pm 

Thanks Gary for not giving up. Last year was my first and it was kinda small and screwy, but
I was like a kid in a candy store. Living in So.Fla, you are the only game in town.
Others are to far away for me. Looking forward to the next meet where ever it has to be.
Please keep us in touch.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 28, 2016 6:52 pm 

There was a meeting. It will be a tailgate style meet at Hap's Honda, on 17th street. December 9th.

The others are really wired up, and want to really promote this, but to my knowledge not much has been done yet, and I'm personally REALLY busy trying to keep the business alive.

Yes, I'm skeptical, but at the same time I would REALLY like to see this get turned around and become successful. We need more members, and we get this by having meets that people can get excited about. Gotta start somewhere.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 09, 2016 10:06 pm 

Hi Gary!!

Sorry for not being able from coming down from Fort Myers due to the fact that I just got out of the hospital from a Open Heart Surgery and Stroke but am doing much better but not able to drive yet. However I think that I will be driving in the next month or so. So if possible could you send me if they drop me an email next time next year so I can come down. Also just bought a very very nice from an original 2nd owner for 45 years a 1930 Atwater Kent Model 70 that set up in my living room.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

PostPosted: Dec Fri 09, 2016 11:26 pm 

The meet is tomorrow morning at Hap's Honda on 17th Street, Sarasota.

I'll be there.

I assume Norm and Bill will be there.

As for promotion, I believe Norm put an ad in the Sarasota Herald-tribune. Were the regulars informed? Dunno.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I may be there 15 minutes, or an hour, or two, or four, depending on what happens.

I've been holding onto a HUGE Stromberg-Carlson table radio, that belongs to the club and was originally intended to e restored and raffled at the next Mt. Dora meet. Instead it's been taking up space in my garage for months; getting awfully tired of tripping over it. It's in the back of my car. It is NOT coming back, even if I have to leave it in the parking lot.

I expect the public to show up. What they will find is anyone's guess. Maybe, just maybe, someone will get excited and take the ball and run with it. If so, I'll gladly help him out. But I personally will no longer be planning or promoting shows. This is it.