Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: When you get to the last page
PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2016 2:34 pm 

I don't know if it's a Chinese proverb, or if someone else made it up -- but . . .

When you get to the last page, close the book.

The Sarasota Radio Meet was/is to be held in the parking lot of Hap's Honda on 17th Street in Sarasota.

I was pretty much done with ANY swap meet, after the total disaster of Mt. Dora in February and the really bad local meet in March. But two other club members kept dragging me on, and had me come to a meeting where we would plan at least one more meet. This time, a tailgate meet in the same manner as the FAWG meet in Orlando. I told them I would come, but THEY needed to do all the promotion. Again, the key is promotion. They agreed.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing happened. Supposedly an ad was placed in the local paper. Whatever. Don't know what to expect.

This morning I showed up at 6:30. I stayed till 8:00. NOBODY showed up, not even these two guys who are HOSTING IT!!! Did they forget?

As of 8:00 this morning, I am officially out of the club. I am totally finished with any radio swap meet, anywhere.

I still have this Stromberg-Carlson radio in the back of my car. It's a club radio, taking up space in my garage for the past 1 1/2 years. I wanted to get rid of it. Monday is trash pickup day. If it isn't gone by then, guess where it's going? Makes me sick, but it's gotta go.

A little over 10 years ago I saved this meet from extinction, and made it decent for quite awhile. In a way, it seems like my reward is a stab in the back. But really, my reward is a lot of fun times, a lot of camaraderie, and a lot of happy people for these past several years. Lots of good memories. but I suppose the time has come to an end.

So sad.

Post subject: Re: When you get to the last page
PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2016 2:39 pm 

Must be a local issue as the swapmeets in Ohio are still active and although maybe shrinking, they are still a place to go to see old radios. Not that I always find something I really want but I find something or other. But it is not like I drive great distances to make it not worthwhile to get small stuff.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 10, 2016 3:29 pm 

Things I'm going to miss:

Cameraderie

The ability to recycle items I don't want or need, such as tubes by the boxes, used but good speakers, and worthwhile radio parts

A resource for parts I need myself, such as volume controls and test equipment

The "antique radio" meet is finished. The ham meets -- well, there may have been one in the last week or so. There are others; I'll need to seek out a schedule or get on a mailing list. Personally from this point on, the best way to go is to have a few of us, as individuals, purchase a table or two at the nest ham fest and go with it. Their meets are much larger anyway, and can generally envelope a few old radios and parts. Consider it a changing landscape.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 4:09 am 

Hi Gary
I can't imagine the frustration you must feel so I will not pretend to do so.
I did drive down to Hap's from Tarpon Springs today and got there at about 11:40.
I was late because I didn't see your latest post until last night.
I told my wife I wanted to go to the hamfest in Tampa today but I rarely
find much at hamfests that interests me since I'm not a transmitter guy.
So I changed my plans and told my wife to stay home this time.
I didn't know what to expect and after dragging her all the way to Mt Dora for nothing she thought I was crazy
to drive all that way and be disappointed (but it's my passion not hers).
So I flopped the top on my Lexus and figured at least it is a beautiful ride across the Skyway Bridge.
Oh well.......
It would be nice though to talk face to face with people who know what a tube grid is and not think I'm
talking about my barbeque grill.
My friends and family think I'm "nuts" for spending all this time to fix a radio nobody wants or cares
about.
My wife is patient and understanding about the closets filled with radios and test equipment (but wants to know
why I buy so many signal generators :oops: last count BTW is eight).
So I guess if you (or anyone else) might want to get together and talk about radios in the future let me know and I will show up.

Bill

PostPosted: Dec Sun 11, 2016 4:35 am 

I got rid of the Stromberg-Carlson radio! And two big boxes full of radio tubes!

No swap meet -- what a joke. One of these guys attends a car cruise which is about a block away from his house. So I put this radio, and the tubes, in the trunk of the Thunderbird and went to the cruise.

He didn't show.

Okay, so I've been tripping over this set in my garage, and begging the other members to please, please take it away as it's interfering with my business. Even when planning this meet, I told them I'm getting rid of this set. I got blown off.

It cooled down this evening, to the point where I opened the trunk to get my jacket. The radio was immediately spotted by someone -- a younger fellow who simply loves to tinker. He has a couple of older cars; just likes to get them running, enjoy them for awhile, and sell them off. I didn't know it but he loves tinkering with radios -- super! I handed him this set -- AND the tubes. You should have seen his eyes light up! He told me he's going to try it out with a variac later this evening, and try to rebuild it. He'll let me know the next time he sees me.

Turns out it's his birthday. Neat!

To be honest, I don't think this set could have gone to a better place. Let a young fellow enjoy it! If a club member says anything -- hey, I gave them a year and a half. Every court in the land will say it's legally mine.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:00 pm 

Gary,

Like me, I think what you described happens all the time...

Once I drove 2 hours to a swap meet and found nothing. When I called the listed contact at the club, no one answered the phone, not even voicemail. Another time I went to a widely advertised ham radio field day event, all I found was an empty field and others trying figure out where everyone was.

It's good to hear the radio found a new owner who would put it to good use.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:11 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
The "antique radio" meet is finished. The ham meets -- well, there may have been one in the last week or so. There are others; I'll need to seek out a schedule or get on a mailing list. Personally from this point on, the best way to go is to have a few of us, as individuals, purchase a table or two at the nest ham fest and go with it. Their meets are much larger anyway, and can generally envelope a few old radios and parts. Consider it a changing landscape.

I think you're on the right track, there. To the best of my knowledge there has never been an antique radio meet near us, but I've done well out of attending hamfests in a 200 mile radius.

Gary Tayman wrote:
It cooled down this evening, to the point where I opened the trunk to get my jacket. The radio was immediately spotted by someone -- a younger fellow who simply loves to tinker. He has a couple of older cars; just likes to get them running, enjoy them for awhile, and sell them off. I didn't know it but he loves tinkering with radios -- super! I handed him this set -- AND the tubes. You should have seen his eyes light up! He told me he's going to try it out with a variac later this evening, and try to rebuild it. He'll let me know the next time he sees me.

Turns out it's his birthday. Neat!

To be honest, I don't think this set could have gone to a better place. Let a young fellow enjoy it! If a club member says anything -- hey, I gave them a year and a half. Every court in the land will say it's legally mine.

That's excellent! :D

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

Interesting timing. That happened exactly one month ago. This evening is another car cruise there -- maybe I'll run into him to find out his progress.

Hmmm . . . temp is 78 degrees right now, supposed to dip down to 65 tonight. Better take my jacket again.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 7:18 pm 

I am glad I did not drive from Titusville for that. I am new to the hobby and the area but wanted to attend a swap meet so I went to Orlando this past Fall. It was scheduled for the very end of the month and I was broke but went anyway. I was up before daylight as the meet started at dawn and was to be over by 10. I drove to Orlando but after driving around for quite some time not finding it I decided to just go back home. Very disappointing.

I realize that in Summer here in Florida you have to get things done early but a meet that is over by 10 am is doomed for failure. In the Fall or Winter there is no excuse for that. Also, schedule it right after the first of the month when many of us have money for gas and to buy stuff at the meet. Your (former) buddies were right in advertising but a token effort is not enough. What every club of any persuasion needs is new blood with energy to get stuff like this done. That is the key. I wish there was a club here in Titusville to donate my energy to. I have mentioned starting one to the few radio friends I have but no response. One guy is not enough for a club.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 2:15 am 

Boy, do I know how you feel.

Happens in every hobby oriented organization. There are those who contribute and rarely get any recognition or thanks and those who enjoy a free ride. Don't be surprised if you get back-stabbed for quitting the club.

If that happens, don't let it bother you in the least. You're perfectly justified in your actions. If your 'friends' don't like it, tough cookies.

Glad you were able to find that radio a new home. It's in the best place it could ever hope to be. If someone in that club complains, send them an invoice for storage. hahaha!

Mitch

P.S. - In another thread you asked about some of the old places around DC. I have access to the archives of the Washington Post, going all the way back to 1885 or whenever the paper started. PM me for info.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 18, 2017 3:14 am 

PBPP wrote:
Boy, do I know how you feel.

Happens in every hobby oriented organization. There are those who contribute and rarely get any recognition or thanks and those who enjoy a free ride. Don't be surprised if you get back-stabbed for quitting the club.

If that happens, don't let it bother you in the least. You're perfectly justified in your actions. If your 'friends' don't like it, tough cookies.

Glad you were able to find that radio a new home. It's in the best place it could ever hope to be. If someone in that club complains, send them an invoice for storage. hahaha!

Mitch

P.S. - In another thread you asked about some of the old places around DC. I have access to the archives of the Washington Post, going all the way back to 1885 or whenever the paper started. PM me for info.

I guess a large part of this, I like to help friends and do nice things for the community. This world is made up largely of volunteers, who do things because they want to and not for pay. I've enjoyed the swap meets, and wanted to make them bigger and better. But I guess another part of this is simply getting older and wiser. This past year, things have fallen apart, both the national show at Renninger's and the local shows in Sarasota and Bradenton. In both cases, I put forth a lot of effort to build these events, only to watch them fall apart for reasons beyond my control. Renninger's was a big shocker and a big disappointment -- they run Kutztown; I thought they knew what they were doing. But I guess not. But "I" was helping "THEM", it is THEIR show and if they can't do any better, then they don't need my help. Sarasota, I guess I was the life support, and when I couldn't spend the time promoting it, nobody else filled in and it died. What's sad is that in both cases, we had dealers, we had participants, and we have the curious public. There is positively no reason why we can't have a successful show, aside from lack of promotion. But with the shows controlled by others, no sense in continuing with it.

In contrast, I'm getting more involved with local car shows. I now have four gigs coming up soon. These are charity events; helping veterans, helping poor kids. The shows are well run, the people I work with are great. I don't ask for money with most of these, but sometimes I get some anyway -- I put it toward the cost of my sound equipment. When positive things happen, I'm glad to be a part of it.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 02, 2017 5:05 pm 

For what it's worth, there is an update on that Stromberg-Carlson radio.

I saw the fellow last night at a car show. He ran over to me to give me an update. The radio had several tubes missing. He went through the boxes of tubes I gave him, and found all but one -- a 78. He found a schematic, and has recapped the set, but needs this tube to check it out. Also, since most of those tubes came from car radios, some are labeled FoMoCo and GM/Delco. He has given these to friends who want "all-original" tubes in their car radios. THAT is this hobby at its best!

Now, I don't recall the model number, but I remember it had shortwave, and an AM dial that goes to 1600 -- which I think would put it in the 1940-42 category. Surprising that it would use 4-pin tubes; I thought it would have octals. Still, I'll have to go through my stash around here and look for a 78 -- I could swear I've got some. If I have a good one, it's his.

Oh, and he told me that it has a phono jack. Figuring there's not much to listen to on AM, he has a turntable that he will use for playing music through the set.