Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 20, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ROLL CALL - Michigan WINTER Vintage Electronics Expo 1/2
PostPosted: Jan Sun 29, 2017 9:48 pm 

It was a fun show, I bought '39 Philco portable off of Dennis and found a Zenith 4K600 Poketradio. I also won a Heathkit oscilloscope in the silent auction.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2017 1:00 am 

I agree with Jim and Steve, the show was HUGE and lots of great folks BUT despite being a lot of stuff I must say there REALLY wasn't that many radios. Well, there was radios but a lot of beaters, common stuff. Nothing that special much that pulled my trigger and for once I had a BIG stack of $$$ I was itching to spend. I only bought one radio early on, a Philco 37-84. I have each one of the other Philco Jr. models expect this one. I had been looking for a nice one 37-84 and grabbed this one yesterday. She is in unbelievably nice original condition, pictured below. Other then that I bought a small PA amp, a nice matched pair of NOS Sylvania 6F6Gs and some record player parts from Gary at VM.

It is true though that half the fun is talking and visiting with others. In that concern it was far better then usual, I had a GREAT time. The silent auction seemed to be even bigger and better then usual. I sold three radios that paid for the Philco I bought earlier in the day. I think that silent auction is a great idea and hope it is always is a feature of the show!

Thanks to those who spent their time and effort to put the show on!
Todd
Toledo, Ohio

PostPosted: Jan Mon 30, 2017 7:30 am 

I sold a lot of capacitors, AC cords and misc this year (good to see them selling strongly again...means that folks are restoring stuff !). I sold a Telefunken Opus 6 needing work, missing the back, for $50, a nice Zenith Royal 675 I think with good C cells and working NICELY for just $15 (case scuffed up and rear lid tabs missing). Man those sound nice... I should have kept it! Sold a PP 6V6 type amp, dirty, for just $20 with tubes.
Had a nice 1937-8 era Emerson 8 tube console with tuning eye at $125 ask didnt go, thought that would for sure. You dont see Emerson consoles much, especially with an eye and "Gemloid" dial. I had some box lots of tubes didnt sell, and knob sales were low even though I brought all the trays and bins. Ed from Renovatedradios.com was across from me and pretty busy with repro parts sales. Two refinishing outfits were there showing off their work, that was a first for this show.
A lot of the problem was I was too busy answering questions to hang out and sell my stuff. But I am not complaining.. the show was a fantastic success. I think with over 700 in the door and about 125 tables filled we can say this is probably the largest Winter Vintage Electronics Show in the USA ! Thanks to all the MARC Board who worked the show and helped in the planning. The growth of this show shows what a serious marketing effort will do. Now, we start working on Kzoo.... !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2017 5:39 am 

Great show. Thanks to all who work so hard to put it on. Picked up a Westinghouse AM transistor for $5 and a Sherwood 1958 FM tuner for $50. See you next year.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2017 11:23 am 

Turns out one of the big features of this Winter VEE has been the "Silent Auction" which is about 15 tables full of stuff either donated to the club or brought in by collectors or general public. So much stuff was up there that two 'rounds' were done, one ending at 11:30 and one at 12:30 from what I heard. I was too busy to get over and see it all but I know there was at least a lot of 'panel' homebrew radio stuff from an estate. The man had crafted VERY nicely made regen, TRF and other units.

We are seeing more of these larger estates coming in, sometimes from known collectors and sometimes from isolated ones nobody in the club knew much about. This was the latter. We have heard about a few new estates that will be coming into Kalamazoo , so mark your calendars for July 13-15 (14th is the first flea market day, 13th is a set up day for dealers mainly).
Hope to see you all there if possible.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2017 6:51 pm 

oldradioparts wrote:
Turns out one of the big features of this Winter VEE has been the "Silent Auction" which is about 15 tables full of stuff either donated to the club or brought in by collectors or general public. So much stuff was up there that two 'rounds' were done, one ending at 11:30 and one at 12:30 from what I heard. I was too busy to get over and see it all but I know there was at least a lot of 'panel' homebrew radio stuff from an estate. The man had crafted VERY nicely made regen, TRF and other units.

We are seeing more of these larger estates coming in, sometimes from known collectors and sometimes from isolated ones nobody in the club knew much about. This was the latter. We have heard about a few new estates that will be coming into Kalamazoo , so mark your calendars for July 13-15 (14th is the first flea market day, 13th is a set up day for dealers mainly).
Hope to see you all there if possible.
Mark Oppat

I sold six restored radios through the silent auction, and I felt I did well. Not EBay prices, but I was satisfied. The MARC auctions are going to be my go-to for turning over projects I am done with and don't want to keep.

Mark

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2017 7:55 pm 

The show was a fabulous success...Unbelievably, I had never been there before, so it was my first time! I have been into vintage audio (record players, turntables, receivers, antique radios, etc.) for a long time, but I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, and finally had the chance to make it...John Reinicke put on a fabulous "Record Player Repair Seminar", too, at 1 P.M. Here is a pic I took of some of the receivers on display...

Attachment:
File comment: Receivers and radios galore!
receivers and radios galore!.jpg
receivers and radios galore!.jpg [ 160.88 KiB | Viewed 744 times ]

I felt like a kid in a candy store, and can't wait to go the next one! 8)

PostPosted: Feb Sun 05, 2017 7:21 am 

I went to a few SMAC (Southeastern Mich Audio Club) meetings and there were a few SMAC members who had been to MARC shows, which had been previously advertised only as "Antique Radio" events. One of them told me ... "I go there to buy tubes and stuff cheap, don't tell everyone else about this show".
Guess the cats out of the bag.
Mark Oppat