Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 30, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A NEW CC-AWA web page
PostPosted: Feb Tue 07, 2017 7:10 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
The CC-AWA and Antique Radio Charlotte have new web pages.
You can visit them using this link

http://cc-awa.club/

Many thanks to Judy and Barker Edwards for their hard
work getting this page going and producing the Antique
Radio Charlotte brochure.

goo.gl/c4UzGS

Post subject: Re: A NEW CC-AWA web page
PostPosted: Feb Tue 07, 2017 11:28 pm 

WOW. What an improvement. Day and night difference. Hats off to Barker & Judy. Great work!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2017 4:57 pm 

Wow! What an incredibly slow site! Made me check my download speed on two computers here, one is at 17.11 Mbps, the other at 20.62 Mbps.

While other web sites open fully in less than a second, the cc-awa.club home page took over 2 minutes to open, and clicking on any of the links creates another 2 minute wait just to have Hostgator.com pop up a window with a 504 message (Gateway Timeout).

Something is definitely wrong there.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

Either you're on and incredibly slow dial-up or there's something
seriously wrong.
I just tried the link in the top post in this thread, it took no
more than about 6 or 7 seconds for any page to open fully
including the main page and all of the others. No problem at all.

sorry

goo.gl/c4UzGS

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2017 5:44 pm 

Wiscojim, you might want to check your ISP's connection with the internet, not just the speed of your connection with the ISP. After reading your post, I tried accessing the website using several different browsers (chrome, safari, explorer, firefox) and it ran fine on all of them. Also viewed it with my phone and tablet -- through a much slower 4G connection -- and there was no problem with either of them.

--Grant

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2017 6:05 pm 

Working fine here now, opening instantly. They must have been having problems or doing maintenance, it wasn't a problem on my end.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 08, 2017 8:45 pm 

Having major issues loading too!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2017 2:39 am 

The WWW is not need in the e-mail address for the new CC-AWA web site. When I first tried the new web site for Judy, I added the WWW, and it took forever to open. All you need is to use cc-awa.club. By the way Judy deserves all the credit of the new web site and the Charlotte brochure.
Barker

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 12:23 am 

Same here...didn't open...waited 3 mins.

I then refreshed waited, and it said something about not being able to connect to MySQL.
FYI

And no, I'm not on a dial up.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 12:36 am 

Their site has been slow off and on since first posted here. I suppose that's what you get when you have a website hosted for as little as $3.95/month.

http://www.hostgator.com/

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 3:29 am 

It's not slow. I go to it at least once a day and it never
fails to open in about 5 seconds.

goo.gl/c4UzGS

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 6:01 am 

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:

It's obviously been an intermittent problem Ron, why else would others be experiencing the same problems with that site?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 1:46 pm 

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:

Ron and others... when you go to a website page you have been to recently your browser checks to see only if there are any changes and if not instantly the page pops up being loaded from your CACHE rather than waiting and actually loading again from the server.

Example I had looked at some parts of the new site last evening so those popped up rather quickly .. being from my own CACHE already in my computer. Just a moment ago I clicked on a part of the website I had not been to previously. In this case it was
http://cc-awa.club/publications/newsletters
Yes the first part which is duplicated the same as other pages was quick but it took 26 seconds before the entire page was loaded and available.

If you want to see what the rest of us are seeing then go into your browser setup and "Clear your Cache" "History" Check this page has the instructions of how to clear your Cache depending on what browser your using.
https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic#firefox

Once you have cleared the CACHE then try loading up the various pages and you will then see the same as anyone else who is loading a page for the first time sees.

This internet connection I am on is not particularly fast either. It is about 10 megabyte download.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 4:22 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
Ron and others... when you go to a website page you have been to recently your browser checks to see only if there are any changes and if not instantly the page pops up being loaded from your CACHE rather than waiting and actually loading again from the server.

Thanks John, that was a good explanation for part of the communication problem here, that of why Ron can't understand the frustration of others trying to use that web site.

I figured the same as you that Ron was seeing things already in his cache, but didn't argue that point as that alone wouldn't explain why some people visiting the site for the first time may have had reasonably fast downloads.

I fear the cc-awa site problem to be more than just slow, the speed is just not consistent.

The other day some of the pages that I had never been to before opened in just a few seconds (still much slower than most any other sites). At other times trying to open new pages on the site were still timing out and displaying host-gator 504 messages (MySQL missing). So the web site does have different speeds at different times: slow and much slower than normal. It's not a problem of slow download speeds on our ends, it appears to be an issue of the host server being tied up.

CC-AWA needs a consistently fast host, and host-gator.com doesn't seem to be that. Ron, please bring that to the attention of your club leaders to address.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 19, 2017 7:16 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Thanks John, that was a good explanation for part of the communication problem here, that of why Ron can't understand the frustration of others trying to use that web site.

I figured the same as you that Ron was seeing things already in his cache, but didn't argue that point as that alone wouldn't explain why some people visiting the site for the first time may have had reasonably fast downloads.

I fear the cc-awa site problem to be more than just slow, the speed is just not consistent.

CC-AWA needs a consistently fast host, and host-gator.com doesn't seem to be that. Ron, please bring that to the attention of your club leaders to address.

A bit ago I repeated my test. I hit the home page from the link in first message above. And then selected Newsletters from the drop down menu. A couple hours ago it took 26 seconds to be totally completed and full. This time it took 3 seconds... to load from the Cache in this Laptop old slow Dell computer.

As to varying speeds. I also notice many times varying speed on the ARF server. Now and then it will literally time out before it brings up your next selected webpage. Yes I know considerably different project with ARF server vs a simple website but explains perhaps the Variability at times some of which is due to backbone speeds and or server ISP speeds.

As to Hosting of websites MANY years ago I went to Network Solutions... now Web.com I think bought them out .. for my own website. This change I made for this same reason. Whoever I had for the website was variable and S L O W to Slower. My last RE-UP with network solutions. As I worked through "The Deal" every click brought a larger discount for longer periods of time for the re-upping of the storage with them. I ended up at a 10 year reup period with a whale of a discount. Storage in general is becoming cheaper and cheaper each year.

Another thing about today's websites. This I keep catching hell from both Google and Network solutions about my site. That is Mobile Compatibility. Meaning the site can easily be viewed on Phones and Ipads and other mobile devices. My site is NOT compatible and I could care less but perhaps the CC AWA site should be. Reasoning here is that we do need to be trying to get more younger people interested in the old radio old OTHER electronics hobby. And younger people do use those mobile gadgets. The other thing is what I would call attention span. Webdesigners know that you have to get enough in front of a viewer in about 30 seconds to attract them long enough that they see the whole site. And hopefully they will have enough interest to attend radio conferences and or swap meets.

Ron it is a nice design and setup to the new website. And I truly hope it does well for the club and its members.

John k9uwa