Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 20, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MARC Extravaganza 2017 dates? July 13-15
PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 2:56 pm 

Hoping to go to Lansing this year for some R&R. Any ideas on what the dates are for the event?

Post subject: Re: MARC Extravaganza 2017 dates?
PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 3:35 pm 

July 13-15 at the fairgrounds in Kalamazoo, the same location as the Extravaganza has been for the last two years. They are no longer at Lansing since this is a much better option and 100% indoors.

http://michiganantiqueradio.org/extravaganza-flier/

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 7:08 pm 

Kalamazoo, eh? Sounds like a plan, just gotta get the GPS ready to go. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 8:07 am 

Besides being all indoors at the great Kalamazoo Expo Center (the only ALL INDOORS multi-day vintage electronics event in the USA) there are now more options for accommodations than we had in Lansing. You have a selection of 8 hotel/ motels from Motel 6 and Red Roof up to the Four Points by Sheraton (which is where the President's Reception is held 7:30-9:30 on Friday eve)

. PLUS, you can park and hook up an RV or "car camp" ON SITE at the Expo grounds ! CHEAP, just get the permit from the Expo Center, 269-383-877 EIGHT Now, why not make this your FUN Road Trip this summer?
Mark Oppat

Post subject: Re: MARC Extravaganza 2017 dates? July 13-15
PostPosted: Jul Sun 02, 2017 9:26 pm 

IMHO these events should be held Friday thru Sunday to allow those of us who work for a living an opportunity to attend these meets when chances of finding that one specific radio or part are greater, not on the last day when half of the sellers are gone. JMTC

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Jul Mon 03, 2017 9:13 am 

THis show is a FRIDAY-SATURDAY flea market. THurs is a set up day only for dealers and one seminar that evening is all.
We dont do Sundays anymore as way back when we did, those that had to travel far complained they could not attend. ALso, more local folks have church, so we quit Sundays back in the 90's and had nearly everyone has been happy with the schedule. Sunday is a drive home day for our further travelers (which are many ).
So, we have a GREAT facility, no weather issues, easy load in, great lighting, AC power, good food on site, nearly every motel option PLUS on site RV or car camping, great restaurants nearby in Kzoo also including a very interesting beer lovers pub that changes prices like a stock exchange (including occasional price "crashes"!), plus super nearby Gilmore Car Museum and the original Gibson Guitar Museum and Factory tour (http://www.discoverkalamazoo.com/tourin ... p-factory/ ).
There will be several ESTATES of radios coming in to this show, including a pile of Zenith "Blackdial" consoles 1936-1942 era. Main auction Friday 2pm, evening social event (all registered attendees are invited, its at the Four Points Hotel nearby), silent auctions on Sat and the final Bargain Auction on Sat at 3pm. Its all done by 5pm, typically.
So grab a pal or a spouse or just come your own self. This is one hell of a show, there is nothing like it in the USA.
See the event flyer on the website (www.thevee.org) .
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jul Thu 06, 2017 5:08 am 

For those of you that cant make MARC, come to Radiofest in Addison Illinois.

Our show is growing and runs Friday night (auction) and flea on Saturday and Sunday AM.

Info at

http://www.antique-radios.org/radiofest_2017_info.html

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 7:57 am 

Looking forward to Extravaganza. What Mark says about the event and the venue is true. It's inside and out of the elements. I cringe every time I think about the river that would appear under the tent in Lansing during a storm. And as I get older, I can't take the heat and humidity as well as I used to. At the Expo Center everything's under roof!

Mary and I will be heading to Kalamazoo on Thursday. Hope to see you there! (Look for "OldWireBender" on my nametag.)

John

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 9:46 am 

There will be several estates of radios showing up at Kzoo this Friday and Saturday. I know one has a nice Emerson tombstone and a Crosley (I think) cathedral with a lot of scroll work on the front. I dont know whats all in these loads... we'll see.

I will have several Zenith Black Dial consoles that are lower priced "project" radios, priced at below the "parts value" of the knobs, bezel, speaker, chassis , combined price.

The VEE event will now have a RESERVE type auction. This is a more common type as used by many clubs and auctioneers. Seller pays a $5 entry fee per item. If the item sells, they pay 10% of that to the club, less the $5 entry fee. Should be a large auction with some quality items and real deals.

Also, on Saturday, two "Silent Auctions" will be held. This format was so popular last year that there was an overflow of items to be sold so this year we are doing two auctions, one closes at 11:30am, one closes at 1:30pm. Bargain auction starts at 3pm. Last year we sold off about 12 tables of items. Some stuff goes for FREE.

So, ROAD TRIP time to Kzoo, MICHIGAN folks ! Motel rooms still available (see the list on the event site) and gas is still CHEAP !!!. www.thevee.org has all the info and the flyer. The only ALL INDOOR, MULTI-DAY "Vintage Electronics" event in the USA.

See you there !

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 9:05 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
I will be there, setting up camp at Fort Custer. I know i could camp at expo center, but I like the woods.
Looks like good weather. This tends to be my summer trip each year. I do miss Lansing because I had all the thrift stores , and food mapped out. But Kazoo is good too. Looking forward to the Junk Auction.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 09, 2017 10:00 pm 

Its the largest Bargain Auction of all the bigger shows. Takes about 1.5hrs to get thru it all. Usually over a dozen tables full of stuff, plus stuff on the floor. Most of it sells for under $5 per item.
Proceeds go to MARC to help produce the events.

For more pix of this event, see our Craiglist posting at https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/eve/6212032550.html

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2017 6:07 pm 

Last minute notes on the MARC EXTRAVAGANZA (Vintage Electonics Expo) in Kalamazoo, MI THIS FRI AND SAT. 7/14-15.

Latest word is the show is above last year's sellers booths and tables.
The show added a second "Silent Auction" this year to accommodate the expected overflow that happened last year. Both Silent Auctions are on Sat.

The Main Auction is 2pm on Friday and is now a RESERVE type, as most are at other shows. Sellers have the option of placing a reserve price on the item.

There is a "Guess how many tubes in the jar" contest to win a nice Emerson Bakelite radio, plus the usual 50/50 drawings and "Seller's Drawing".

Hope many of you can make this great ALL INDOOR Vintage Electronics event ! Any questions, call my cell , I am travelling to the show today and loading in late this afternoon. Load in runs to 9pm for sellers. Show opens Friday morning at 8am. $5 gets you in each day, OR, register for the show and you can attend the seminars and President's Reception and be a seller in the flea market or auction. All info and show flyer are on the site at www.thevee.org look for Extravaganza tabs. Pix of previous years there too.
734-502-37NINE FOUR
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2017 2:06 am 

I could not find any info on swap spaces and prices....? thanks

PostPosted: Jul Sat 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
I could not find any info on swap spaces and prices....? thanks
I see last year's form on their website, but not the one for this year...

http://michiganantiqueradio.org/wp-cont ... -up-16.pdf

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 4:24 am 

Yes I wanted to swap last minute and was gonna bring a truck load. Could not find any info so didn't bother just went as spectator Friday. Should make sure that info is posted in a prominent place next year.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
Yes I wanted to swap last minute and was gonna bring a truck load. Could not find any info so didn't bother just went as spectator Friday. Should make sure that info is posted in a prominent place next year.

Come to Radiofest

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 2:33 pm 

bastardbus wrote:

Mark mentioned that he would answer questions by phone if need be. Even posted his cell number.

oldradioparts wrote:
"Any questions, call my cell....734-502-37NINE FOUR"
Mark Oppat

just sayin'

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 4:42 pm 

How about a recap?

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 6:04 pm 

I planned on coming, been there before...GREAT show. PM sent with swap spot questions...

oldradio99 wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Come to Radiofest

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Dennis Wess wrote:
bastardbus wrote:

Mark mentioned that he would answer questions by phone if need be. Even posted his cell number.

oldradioparts wrote:
"Any questions, call my cell....734-502-37NINE FOUR"
Mark Oppat

just sayin'

My point with a show this size (any show that wants swappers to attend) one SHOULD post the swap fee info in a prominent-easy to find spot online, foolish not to. They have in the past...my guess it was an oversight.