Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 18, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CHRS Radio Day by the Bay: July 22nd
PostPosted: Jul Sun 23, 2017 5:42 pm 

It was like Christmas in July! Once again, those incredibly dedicated, show-up-every-Saturday-and-sometimes-during-the-week volunteers are to be congratulated for making this the premier West Coast antique radio event. Life wouldn't be as good without you guys.

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 12:37 am 

Did anybody keep a list of what the radios sold for? Curious about the higher-end Zeniths and the AK 447.

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 12:45 am 

I noted the highest and selected others in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=324718

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 12:52 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
I noted the highest and selected others in this thread: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=324718

Thanks. Hadn't seen that.

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 7:05 am 

Fantastic swap. Club president Kushner and equally everyone else on down really hit this one out of the ballpark. The radio orchestra, the play, the film documentary on KSAN and the auction rounded things out. Best of all was seeing my girlfriend win her first and only old radio -- a Belmont cathedral -- at the auction. She was beaming from ear to ear and was peppering me with endless questions about it until her leaving for home late in the day after. Seeing someone new to the hobby take pleasure in that made it that much more worth it to me as well.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 6:06 pm 

I am still sort of recovering as the leadup to the event is a week's worth of preparation and then the day before and the day of are always insane. I probably ran between the veteran's hall and the museum 50 times. I feel that the auctioneers did a VERY good job this time. I was glad to see that many sets got placed in the hands of folks who clearly feel very passionate about them. The sound in the hall was excellent. Its a tad ratty inside but it carried vocals really nicely.

Literally tons of stuff went bye-bye in the flea market but about 80% is left and so we're taking it to the next Deanza electronics flea market to more or less get rid of for dirt-cheap.

Whats really good is that every year that this happens the building gets cleaned out and neatened up. We had a disastrous winter with the water in the basement and so things got thrown around all over the place. But the building looks really nice and neat now... we will see how long that lasts!

We got in the results and we did well! We will be able to finally repair the leaking basement walls and floors and get back to assembling the museum, which will be great.

Thanks to everyone who came. We had a great time and hopefully you did too!

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 6:46 pm 

I reached into a box of miscellaneous papers and pulled out a letter from Edwin Armstrong to radio dealers warning them against selling non-Armstrong licensed FM receivers to their customers because they were basically inferior and would end up giving both FM and the dealer a bad name. Maybe this one is known, but I hadn't seen it. Will probably post to ARF Resources.

Anyway, that's just an example of the kind of treasures you could find at CHRS. Thanks again, guys!

Bob

PostPosted: Jul Mon 24, 2017 10:48 pm 

Please do post the Armstrong letter!

After what seemed like easy work moving some consoles on Friday to help get ready for the event, my right lower back was aching al day Saturday, so I was squirming about during the auction and radio drama. After a fine dinner at the Ark Chinese restaurant in Alameda, we walked about and I found the Ocean Spa massage place in Alameda. The woman there did a fine job, had good English skills, and really worked hard to work-out the knots in my right lower back. I walked out with the aches gone, then back to the hotel on Park for a good rest before driving back home Sunday.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 4:15 am 

Here is a list of the selling prices-some real steals here;

http://www.californiahistoricalradio.co ... esults.pdf

Phil

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 2:22 pm 

Wow there sure were some really good deal to be had.