Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Radiofest - Addison Il - Aug 4-6 - UPDATED 7/31/2017
PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 2:42 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Yes, that's the way it's been for at least the past 10 years.

Sorry Michael, but that is incorrect. I was at Radiofest in 2013 and sales started on Friday that year.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:05 pm 

Are there events or displays happening inside while the swap meet is going on outside? I am also a bit confused on the location. Is the swap meet located in the same general place as the auction?

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:09 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

Sorry Michael, but that is incorrect. I was at Radiofest in 2013 and sales started on Friday that year.

-Steve
Flea market also started on Friday in 2014. It wasn't until just two years ago (2015) they changed to a Saturday start for the flea market.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:12 pm 

Thanks Jim, I was unable to go in 2014 due to a change in job.

I knew they tried doing Saturday start as did the Michigan club, but Michigan quickly changed back.

I didn't know Illinois stuck with it.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:38 pm 

radiojwk wrote:
Are there events or displays happening inside while the swap meet is going on outside? I am also a bit confused on the location. Is the swap meet located in the same general place as the auction?

It's all in the same place. The swap is held in the west parking lot of the Shriners banquet facility. As for other events, there are speaker presentations, an equipment display (post WWII electronics) and a contest area. These are open only to ARCI members. The auction and swap are open to everyone to buy. You must be a member to sell at the swap, but not at the auction.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:46 pm 

Thanks John. So non-members can't even view the items entered in the contests or any of the displays? Seems a bit odd.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 02, 2017 3:49 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
azenithnut wrote:
Indiana Radios wrote:

-Steve
Flea market also started on Friday in 2014. It wasn't until just two years ago (2015) they changed to a Saturday start for the flea market.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Yes, the flea markets started on Friday in both 2013 and 2014 but the preceding day (Thursday) was auction only, no flea market. The Radiofest three day schedule is basically the same now as it was back then, it's just that the club has moved the whole schedule back one day so now it starts on Friday (auction only) and ends on Sunday (flea market and donation auction).

PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 1:15 pm 

[/quote]

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Yes, the flea markets started on Friday in both 2013 and 2014 but the preceding day (Thursday) was auction only, no flea market. The Radiofest three day schedule is basically the same now as it was back then, it's just that the club has moved the whole schedule back one day so now it starts on Friday (auction only) and ends on Sunday (flea market and donation auction).[/quote]

And that decision was based on public and member feedback.

The days of Radiofest (Elgin) starting on a Tuesday and lasting until Sunday were long gone.

People, especially newer members of the club could not afford to take off work for a weekday event.

On another note, the displays and sessions are closed except to members. It is membership in the club that supports those activities.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: Radiofest - Addison Il - Aug 4-6
PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 2:05 pm 

oldradio99 wrote:
The weather looks fantastic for Radiofest

Looks like a Radiofest swap without the typical hot, humid, and rainy weather. Here's an updated look at the forecast for the Saturday flea market:

Attachment:
temps 4.JPG
temps 4.JPG [ 54.08 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 4:51 am 

My van is loaded and all set to go

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 6:02 am 

oldradio99 wrote:
My van is loaded and all set to go

Just finished loading my van and trailer! I'll make a plasma donation in the morning, and be in Illinois by early afternoon Friday. I'll be in the back row, just a little bit to the right of the donation auction stuff.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 11:56 am 

I will be right in front of the registration booth

Stop by and say hi!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 6:51 pm 

It looks like it won't be like last year's fogfest on I-57.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 05, 2017 4:32 pm 

Location: Antioch, Illinois Near the Cheddar Curtain Go White Sox!
I enjoyed the auction last night and met some great guys.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 12:43 am 

Radiofest was much fun!
The flea market had perfect weather and a good crowd!

I ended up bringing home a couple radios, both Spartons. :D

I also saw this frankensparton which made me laugh. A model 930 with a 6 leg base grafted onto it.

Other than dealing with a couple dishonest vendors, I had a great time!

-Steve

Attachments:
frankensparton1.jpg
frankensparton1.jpg [ 97.15 KiB | Viewed 1176 times ]
frankensparton2.jpg
frankensparton2.jpg [ 107.15 KiB | Viewed 1176 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 1:25 am 

azenithnut wrote:
Radiofest was much fun!
The flea market had perfect weather and a good crowd!

I ended up bringing home a couple radios, both Spartons. :D

I also saw this frankensparton which made me laugh. A model 930 with a 6 leg base grafted onto it.

Other than dealing with a couple dishonest vendors, I had a great time!

-Steve

And if you had wanted another Sparton, you could have bought that mirror-in-lid TV combo of mine! Anyway, I have someone that promised to buy it from me at the August 20th antique radio swap in Madison, WI.

About your latter comment, sorry you ran into trouble of some sort. Probably best not to mention names here, but somewhat curious about what actually occurred.

Jim

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 1:47 am 

Thanks Jim, I honestly would have been interested in your Sparton if room wasn't an issue. It is a beauty! :D

I know, its always a "Caveat Emptor" situation with vendors at flea markets, but when a vendor repeatedly exclaims one thing about their wares, then I find its not true, is just bothersome.

One was a tube vendor selling loose tubes (he had them in 6 boxes with $100 a box) repeatedly said they were untested and he didn't have time to test them. I bought many tubes from those boxes and they are all duds.
I was kind-of surprised he sold them for a buck each, so at that price I can't complain too much. Just that I feel he knew.

The other was the seller of the Sparton 74 I bought. Again, repeatedly exclaimed it was fully restored and that was the reason he would not budge on price.
I get it home… It is not restored. Granted, I don't care about that, just that he insisted it was.

minor gripes, I agree. It didn't kill my enjoyment of Radiofest.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 2:33 am 

azenithnut wrote:
minor gripes, I agree. It didn't kill my enjoyment of Radiofest.

-Steve
Glad to hear it didn't discourage you from enjoying the meet. And thanks for taking the time to visit with me there.

It's a shame that some people try to deceive others there to sell their wares, fortunately it's only a few bad apples. The overall majority are all pretty decent folks to deal with.

Glad you attended, and hope to meet with you again in the future!

Jim

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 2:38 am 

Yes, we had great weather, and most everyone had a very good time.

I sold some nice items to Eric Fogel, I'm interested to see how much he will get for them on ebay. I'd rather sell face-to-face so there are no surprises, otherwise I would have used ebay myself. Good luck, Eric! It was nice to spend some time talking with you.

I picked up a real nice bunch of General Electric transistor radios from the donation auction pile, thanks to Bill Cohn.

Thank you to Ty Travers, who gave me some items that didn't interest him, but fit in fine with my early TV obsession.

I twisted the arms of Ed Kozac and his son Oliver to buy a nice RCA TV from the donation pile. Hope that CRT tests good. I let Oliver borrow a hat, so as not to get his scalp sunburned with his recent short haircut. It was really hot in that bright sun all day!

Best of all it was great to see and spend time talking to dozens of old friends, and I believe I've made a few new ones this year. It's amazing how many nice people you can meet at events like this if you are willing to be friendly and spend some time actually talking with others, no matter what the subject may be. I'd gladly attend these meets just for the social part of it, regardless of whether or not my swap sales are "successful". And I was very pleased with my sales this year. A lot of people walked away with some very nice radio related items, and several people were amused by some of the non-radio items I always bring to the swaps as conversation pieces. Those items are often what make people stop and talk rather than just quickly strolling by. Great way to meet people.

For those that may have worried about me getting home after a long day, yes I made it, safely with no incidents to relate. Some people were surprised by my late departure. I had planned on packing up around 2 pm to be on the road by 4 pm. Nope, after sleeping in the van in the parking lot Friday night and being up at 5:30 am Saturday morning I finally was packed up and hit the road at 10 pm and home by 2 am. I figured if I got too tired to drive, I could just pull over and take a nap in the back of the van on the twin mattress I had slept on the night before. I was still set up ready to sell at 7 pm, crazy as that seems. I had decided I'd rather stay and visit with people as long as they were willing before heading home to an empty house.

For anyone that didn't come to the meet, but was curious, it is definitely worth going to. The ARCI club does a great job of setting up and hosting this large event each year, and all the people behind the scenes donate their time and efforts to make it a real success. Thank you ARCI!

I'd also like to specifically point out a few of the ARCI volunteers at this meet that I had interacted with that each do a great job doing their parts. Thanks to Bill and Tom who handled the massive donation auction area. Thanks to my WARCI club president Nick Tillich and the other auction workers who help make the ARCI auction run a lot smoother than in years past. Thanks to Art Bilski for the forum posts informing ARF readers of this event.

And I'd like to specially thank Judy Huether who worked under the registration tent. Judy loves to help out each year with registration and parking lot assignments which is often a thankless job. For those of you who unfortunately end up with a registration problem, please don't abuse Judy for it. Special situations and errors can occur, but Judy and her helpers do their best to work out a solution. I always look forward to spending some time sitting and chatting with her each year. Thank you Judy!

We all should be thanking ALL of the ARCI volunteers for doing what they do to make this event special every year. I for one really appreciate what they do behind the scenes and at the Radiofest event itself. It takes a lot of effort by a lot of people to pull off an event like this, and they all deserve our praise.

Thanks to all the workers and attendees for making it another very enjoyable Radiofest this year.

Jim Menning

Last edited by wiscojim on Aug Tue 08, 2017 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 2:49 am 

Steve

I have come to the realization that one persons definition of "restored" is usually not the same as your own. And I think some folks really take advantage of the flexibility of that term. What bothers me is the guys that specifically tell you the unit was re-capped and all they did was 3 out of 20 caps. :? You are right just be honest. I now only buy radios as DOA regardless of what the seller says.

On the tube issue...I wonder if this was the same seller that was at the MARC Extravaganza this year. One fellow along the wall had oodles of tubes (and a spot across the isle as well) nice guy was with his wife. He had TONS of tubes and yes boxes of loose ones too at bulk prices. I bought 20 tubes or so from him and they were either so weak they were useless or just completely dead. That is a first for me with tube buying...

Last edited by bastardbus on Aug Mon 07, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.