Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Radiofest - Addison Il - Aug 4-6 - UPDATED 7/31/2017
PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 3:01 am 

It may have been. I can't recall specifically, but he may have been at Extravaganza.

As for restoration, that radio I bought did come to life when turned on, but the volume control was so dirty, it was hard to find a working spot. It was weak on reception and quite distorted.

Anyhow, I really shouldn't gripe. One amusing thing that happened was when i stopped at the food booth for a hot dog.
I forgot that it is a sin to put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago. The guy behind me made an offhand comment of whether he should kill me now after i realized this fact. :lol:

Its funny, I have stopped at Portillos on a number of occasions and nobody said a thing when I got ketchup on my hot dog.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 2:55 pm 

I hadn't attended Radiofest in over 10 years so I was a little surprised that it was smaller than I remember and it broke up earlier than I expected. I had a good time anyway and I picked up a few things - a late 30's RCA Model 151 Oscilloscope, some capacitors and a few books but, the real find was on the way home...

A 1/2 hp, 104 volt Westinghouse "Type A Single Phase Induction Motor" with the latest patent date Sept. 26, '99. Weighing in at well over 100 lbs it's a real brute!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 7:06 pm 

Yes, I remember back in the 1990s, Radiofest grew to be one of the largest radio meets in the country.

It filled the hotel parking lot and spilled into the adjacent field.

Those were the days! :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 7:21 pm 

This was my first time attending any radio event and I quite enjoyed it. I was impressed with the quality of items at the auction and how organized and well-run it was. I wish I had a way to get some things back to Florida. If I did, several of those consoles would have gone home with me. Is it just me, or were the final prices very reasonable on most items?

I also enjoyed the swap meet. I picked up a few books, talked to some nice folks, and really wanted to get a nice oscilloscope, but had no way to get it home.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make it again next year.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 7:32 pm 

Wow, Joe, I wish I had seen you and had a chance to talk with you.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 7:46 pm 

Thanks Steve. I looked around for you on Friday evening, but the auction was so crowded I just tried to stay out of the way. I did keep my eyes open for you at the swap meet but I was only there for about 1-1/2 hours early in the morning.

Hopefully we can make a plan to get together next year. I always enjoy talking with you.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Radiofest - Addison Il - Aug 4-6 - How did we do?
PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 10:47 pm 

Many of us who are involved in the planning and running of Radiofest consider this show a success.

The weather was great, sellers seem to be selling and buyers were happy.

But the real test is your feedback.

How did we do?
How is the location?
How was the hotel?

What, if anything would you change?

Please post your comments or send the club your comments via email and we will discuss at the October business meeting.

Thanks for attending.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 10:55 pm 

Personally, I would consider it a success too!

The location was very nice and easy to get to, albeit a bit farther to travel. Plenty of parking. (I remember parking was a real problem back in the days the show was in Elgin)

If any changes? I would like to see the schedule return to Auction on Thursday, flea market on Friday and Saturday. Just my thoughts. I'm probably in the minority. :oops:

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 11:06 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
If any changes? I would like to see the schedule return to Auction on Thursday, flea market on Friday and Saturday. Just my thoughts. I'm probably in the minority. :oops:

-Steve
I'd like to see the event return to what it was in the early 1990's at Elgin. But those glory days of radio meets are long gone.

The unfortunate reality is that the flea market will never be more than a single morning of activity no matter how many hours or days it is scheduled. At least having it start on Saturday gives the working poor a chance to attend.

Did anybody count the number of vendors set up Sunday morning? Is it really even worth scheduling a swap for a second day?

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 11:27 pm 

Good points.

My thoughts are, it seems much easier to brave Chicagoland traffic on a Thursday before rush hour rather than try to navigate through Friday's madness.
I would be tempted to stay until Saturday morning before heading home. Therefore spend time at the flea market until about noon before heading home.

The stretch of 80/94 on the south side is simply brutal…

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 11:42 pm 

I attended, and thought the event was great. Everything is so convenient. Hotel, auction site, and flea market are right in one area. And the quality of the hotel and auction site is excellent.

I don't see any changes needed. Just make sure the event is advertised well so that it can remain at least the size that it is.

Good job.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 11:59 pm 

Please don't take my comments as being critical.
Its only thoughts and ideas, that is all.

Most people probably are very happy as it is, so there is probably no reason to change.

Thanks for all you do!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 12:49 am 

As with all shows I would like to see updates such as pictures during the show. That way people that cant make it or are thinking about going can see what is going on. It's the 21st century with computer phones with cameras.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 1:48 am 

Location: Antioch, Illinois Near the Cheddar Curtain Go White Sox!
wiscojim wrote:
azenithnut wrote:

-Steve
I'd like to see the event return to what it was in the early 1990's at Elgin. But those glory days of radio meets are long gone.

The unfortunate reality is that the flea market will never be more than a single morning of activity no matter how many hours or days it is scheduled. At least having it start on Saturday gives the working poor a chance to attend.

Did anybody count the number of vendors set up Sunday morning? Is it really even worth scheduling a swap for a second day?

I couldn't make it on Saturday, so I went to the auction Friday and drove back Sunday. An hour's drive both ways. Maybe 10 vendors and the donation auction. I was there 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 2:04 am 

Keith wrote:
I couldn't make it on Saturday, so I went to the auction Friday and drove back Sunday. An hour's drive both ways. Maybe 10 vendors and the donation auction. I was there 15 minutes.
Last year I was one of about 12 selling on Sunday.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 2:26 am 

wiscojim wrote:
Keith wrote:
Last year I was one of about 12 selling on Sunday.

I stuck around for Sunday again this year, but I really only stay for the donation auction. While I did well selling on Saturday, I only made an additional 10% of my Saturday sales by selling on Sunday. If you look at the $95/night room rate, plus the cost of breakfast, I actually lost a lot. That, combined with the extra effort to set up my booth for another morning... well it really doesn't make that much sense for most vendors.

I know the club officers are really, really trying to make Sunday a success, but I feel that the meet could be improved by moving the Donation Auction to late on Saturday, making this a Friday and Saturday-only event. The issue with Saturday is that most of the sellers start packing up around 2-3pm, and the swap meet never makes it to dusk like back in the Elgin days. Moving the Donation Auction to 4PM on Saturday might encourage sellers to stick around longer. Plus, it would probably bump up the donation auction proceeds and save the club some money to not have to operate for an additional day.

Overall it's still a great auction and a great swap meet. I'll be there selling next year either way, but I'll be looking forward to hearing feedback from other attendees.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 6:46 pm 

I thought that overall it was a very good meet, considering that the heyday of the Elgin years are over when we'd get there on Tuesday and not leave until Saturday. Sold some stuff I didn't want anymore and bought some different stuff, visited with a bunch of the guys I've gotten to know there over the past 35 years, marveled at some of the items in the contest, and was content with having to drive 400 miles each way to do that. But, the event does seem to get a little shorter every year, maybe partly because I don't attend the evening banquet. This year, I waited until after the 7am starting time to put all my stuff out for sale, but others didn't so I was busy chasing around before that to see what they were selling. Then by 1pm the crowd had dwindled and I was getting tired of the few who were still there making low offers on the stuff still on my table, so I checked out of the hotel a day early, packed up, and drove home.

My suggestions would be to do whatever might decrease expenses to the club and to the attendees in an effort to increase attendance.
The swap meet is the main draw for the meet and its size would increase if the cost to set up a table decreased. It cost me $45 for a selling space plus $25 for club membership that is required before you can buy a selling space = $70 total. That may be fine for those with a lot to sell, but I'm sure it keeps many who have less to sell from setting up a table. I know the event expenses are high, but are your rates hitting the sweet spot that bring you the most profit, or would lowering the rates bring in proportionally more vendors so you could still meet your financial goals but have a larger swap meet too? A larger swap meet, even if many don't bring expensive items, would also increase interest from more collectors who have to drive a long distance, and so the snowball effect could make the meet larger yet. Remember that those who drive a long distance also have considerable gasoline and hotel expenses.

Another question is why are the auction fees so high? I'm sure the auction was a great success, with good attendance, many very nice items sold, and good profits for the club, but are expenses so high that the club needs to charge the 10% buyers fee? I can only compare this with the Northland Antique Radio Club (NARC) meet in Minnesota that I am involved with, where the auction charges $5 to enter an item and there is no buyers fee. The $300 speaker that I bought at the Illinois auction gave your club the $7 entry fee plus $30 buyers fee = $37, whereas if it had sold at the NARC auction we'd get just $5. Yes, the NARC meet is certainly smaller than the Illinois meet, but it has slowly been growing over the past few years and we attribute that to keeping event expenses as low as possible so we can charge less ,to make it as affordable as possible to everyone who might consider attending.

So, I think you all did a great job, but the meet could be larger if the cost to participate was lower.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:56 pm 

I did not attend this year, as I was working on a radio (!), but did last year,
Saturday only.

The problem for me is that I live in Champaign. Its silly to drive up
two days in a row, and silly to spend money on the hotel if I have
no idea what's in the auction beforehand. I like the ETF TV convention
in Hilliard because you know beforehand what's in the auction, and
can thus plan ahead. (They list reserves online!) By that I mean estimate what the chances
of buying a costly item are.

My suggestion is to have the swap meet on Saturday morning and afternoon, the auction
Saturday evening, and the presentations on Sunday.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 2:24 am 

GIFarmer wrote:
Another question is why are the auction fees so high? I'm sure the auction was a great success, with good attendance, many very nice items sold, and good profits for the club, but are expenses so high that the club needs to charge the 10% buyers fee?

Try pricing a wedding venue in the Chicagoland area for a Friday and Saturday night. They don't exactly run cheap. I've been told that in previous years, the expenses were so high that the club actually lost money. Plus, since ARCI doesn't charge admission for this event, they have to recoup the fees somewhere.

I suppose the club could try moving to an expo center or something cheaper, but if there isn't a hotel on site, many people won't attend the show. Therefore, I feel like they're stuck with venues with hotels on site, which tend to be wedding venues. It's a tough situation for sure!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 2:21 pm 

bullseyeguyz wrote:
As with all shows I would like to see updates such as pictures during the show. That way people that cant make it or are thinking about going can see what is going on. It's the 21st century with computer phones with cameras.

I actually thought about that and then just got too busy on my booth.

Not sure where we would post any live feed. For cell phones, Facebook seems the easiest.

Am open to suggestions.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com