Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 22, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kimberton PA Ham Fest 7/8/17
PostPosted: Jul Mon 03, 2017 1:10 am 

Valley Forge (Kimberton), PA - Mid-Atlantic ARC Ham fest . Anyone ever go ? Is it worth a 2 hour drive ? I'm thinking about going this Sat. July 8th , as a seller.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Kimberton PA Ham Fest 7/8/17
PostPosted: Jul Mon 03, 2017 9:51 pm 

I'm a former club member who lives 40 minutes away.

You can see the flea market and general parking areas through a sparse row of evergreen trees between the site and the access highway. Pulled the car to the road shoulder to do so. Got out to look. Didn't waste my time turning onto the driveway for the site. I turned the car around, went home, and applied the time and $ budgeted for the day to lunch with a friend.

OK, perhaps, if you're going to meet someone there for a specific reason.

YMMV.

-O. B.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 03, 2017 11:28 pm 

O B , thanks for the insight. Seems like I'll save the time driving . Glad I asked before doing the 2 hour trip.
Thanks

PostPosted: Jul Wed 05, 2017 2:12 am 

As a frame of reference, the Harrisburg fest that used to be held on July 4, but is now held the closest Sat. to that date was way larger, last year. Couldn't get away last Sat to go. Always a great time at that event, in every way.

New digs at the Harrisburg Vo-Tech are very nice, but the former location in Swatara had a certain down-home charm.

-O.B.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 05, 2017 11:23 am 

I missed Harrisburg this year also. Anyone go that could tell us how it was ? Wife had me in OC Md. & I was on bikini patrol :D

PostPosted: Jul Thu 06, 2017 1:35 pm 

At one time, this was a growing fest... now having a slow death. Each year I swear I won't go and do... this year I'll sleep!!! YMMV...

Jim

PostPosted: Jul Thu 06, 2017 8:10 pm 

Jim what do you think the problem is, lack of volunteers, location ? Timing ( week after Harrisburg ) ? Just not much going on , Hamfest wise, for July, Aug ( besides Sinking Springs & Berryville ) and even into Sept for PA & MD areas.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 1:31 am 

Hamfests are slowly declining as a general rule. Clubs that put on these shows are losing sellers because vendors have other avenues to sell their wares. Fewer vendors mean less attendance at the gate. Why pay admission when there's little or no items for sale?

Two years ago I had two tables at Kimberton. Sold a fair amount of parts and came home with a little extra cash for my efforts. The club made sure I was taken care of.

Didn't make it last year, but reserved the same two tables as two years ago. Took nearly an hour to get someone from the club to drop an electrical cord from the ceiling to the floor. Not a hard thing to do, the cords are already up in the rafters, tied up and ready to drop. All that was needed is someone to climb the ladder and release the chain holding it up there.

Meanwhile, the heat is unbearable and I'm getting ready to pass out. Telling the club chairman did no good. To him, it was a bother. During this time, there are six club members hanging around the club table doing nothing except fiddling with the PA system.

Now, you've got a club full of technical types that can never get the PA system to work properly. Happens at every hamfest. What the hell is so difficult about getting a PA system to not blast your eardrums? Seriously.

Ok. About an hour later I finally get an electrical drop. What a fiasco!

At eleven o'clock, the club members start packing up the unused tables. They announced the grand prize early, then hovered around while vendors were packing up. Did they offer to help me pack up? Nope. However they were more than anxious to collect my chair and remove the second table once it was cleared.

I left one bag of parts and my fan on the table while packing in the next to the last load. Two members start digging into the bag looking for freebies, thinking I've abandoned my property. My car was less than 30 feet away and I had only turned my back for less than one minute. Had to tell them to get their paws off my stuff. It's like dealing with children.

After table rental, driving 370 miles round trip, $22 worth of gas, admission and having two tables full of parts, I came home with less than $40 for my efforts.

Think I'll pass on Kimberton next year.......

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 10:06 pm 

I would have been flipping on someone pawing thru my stuff. Glad I didn't drive the 2 hours 1 way.
At the York Hamfest, the rain came around 8:30 , I had 2 of the volunteers come over & help me cover my tables. After the showers they even helped me remove & fold up my plastic drop clothes. I stayed another hour until more rain arrived.
Even thou I only cleared $16 in sales, it was good feeling that the volunteers helped. So I didn't mind the low sales that time.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 12, 2017 3:10 pm 

I just ran the numbers again for the Kimberton Hamfest. Not good. I came home with slightly less than what I started with. Probably a five dollar loss for 373 miles of driving and all the headaches.

Only good point was purchasing a few items for really cheap that I can resell for a nice profit.

I also plan on writing a carefully worded letter to the club's hamfest chairman. He needs to see the event from a vendor's point of view. Don't know if it will sink in, but let's hope so.

Mitch

PostPosted: Jul Wed 12, 2017 11:37 pm 

Mitch, you do know the Roller Skating Rink ham fest on the 3rd weekend of August has been cancelled by the Westminster club ( lack of volunteers ) ? But the Oct. fest is a go .
Mike

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 12:06 am 

mcars wrote:
Mitch, you do know the Roller Skating Rink ham fest on the 3rd weekend of August has been cancelled by the Westminster club ( lack of volunteers ) ? But the Oct. fest is a go .
Mike

The August skating rink hamfest was a flop in years past. Who the hell wants to buy and sell hamfest wares on a blacktop parking lot in the middle of August?

Glad that one got cancelled,
Mitch

PostPosted: Jul Wed 19, 2017 1:14 pm 

Well, it sounds confirmed... Kimberton is a bust. It started out like gangbusters several years ago and it just seemed to grow... then, the entire layout was changed to the side of the building, and right into the crapper it went, and I have no idea why the physical layout would cause this, but it sure seems that way to me. I saved my gas and ventured to Sussex and had a ball. Sure, fests are, in general, croaking as the old timers meet their ultimate demise. YMMV...

Jim

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:53 am 

The demise of the Kimberton hamfest has to do with the lack of organization, poor promotion and the general lack of concern by the fellow in charge this year. I heard every excuse and then some trying to get an electrical drop from the ceiling. Why it couldn't be done without a trained person to climb a ladder and unhook an electrical cord placed there especially for that purpose. Are you kidding me?

Oh yeah, the fellow who took my money for admission was absolutely confused about me giving him eleven dollars for a six dollar entrance fee. Guess it's tough to grasp the concept of giving me a five dollar bill for change. Yeeeesh!

To top it off, he directs me to drive around the back of the building for easier unloading. Wouldn't have been a problem but there were asphalt millings piled five feet high that my car or a four wheel drive vehicle couldn't navigate.

I will only attend next year if they offer me free table space. They at least owe me that.

Mitch