Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 22, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rochester NY AWA Convention Flea Market Aug 17-19
PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

I'm sure Antique Wireless Association members are aware of the Convention Aug 15-19, but the flea market is open to all buyers with no charge. Sellers can sign up at http://www.antiquewireless.org/conv-registration.html ($30, no space limit). Flea market opens at 6:00 AM, Thursday and Friday. Saturday is usually dead since the auction is on inside (members only) - but will be even deader this year since the Barnard Hamfest is the same day.

Post subject: Re: Rochester NY AWA Convention Flea Market Aug 17-19
PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hopefully the free flea market spaces will ramp things up a bit.
I was hoping to bring out some catalogs and books from Alan Douglas collection
We will see.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 1:38 pm 

$30 and free admission for buyers would get me to come back this year but unfortunately I will be in Nashville that week.

On second thought maybe I can adjust my schedule. As long as the hotel doesn't mind the RV in the parking lot overnight.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 11, 2017 7:20 am 

Looking at the schedule on the AWA website, I see mention of both an outdoor and Indoor flee market this year, and a statement that only registered participants are allowed entry to indoor activities. I would think anyone that is selling indoors or out would want all the available buyers to be able to participate in both venues. Last year I was one of only a handfull of buyers, and not that many sellers. I think many sellers went home with most of what they came to sell. Anyone know if they will let unregistered AWA members attend the indoor flee market?

Dick Stachowiak

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 5:13 am 

Sad!

27 consecutive visits beginning in September 1978 when the fete was in Canandaigua, N.Y. First time, took a bus to Terre Haute where I hitched a ride with another collector. Not much money, little room in the station wagon and I was paying hooky from my job as a grad school TA and chief engineer for several radio stations. Plenty to worry about in this pre-cell phone era. We were youngsters, hanging out in the c. 1950s PanTree Motel that year near the lake. We were largely ignored by the old timers and somewhat put off by their East Coast arrogance. Still we kept on coming, the 2000 mile round trip was an adventure we looked forward to for a quarter century.

These meets were an experience somewhat like waking up on Christmas morning to discover what Santa had laid out for us.

The really golden years were at Canandaigua and for us, several days spent there in the early autumn was a vacation. Here was a thoroughly pleasant Finger Lakes community with a wonderful Wegman's grocery store across the street. The accommodations weren't deluxe and there were quibbles about the Sheraton Hotel -- outgrown by 1989 due to burgeoning interest in the hobby -- so the affair was moved to the Marriott and the date cranked back a month or so into permanence after RIT took the place over.

Welcome to The Hot Parking Lot Era!

For me it was all about the flea market and to a lesser degree due to limited funds, the auction. Maybe it was ten years ago when the flea market started to pale so we cut Rochester from the schedule. While some hoot and holler about the contest, talks and banquets, we wanted to check out all the surprises in the flea market when vendors were so numerous they spilled out onto the glassy areas. To repeat and repeat again: Hot, unshaded parking lots in the middle of August are a meet killer.

I don't think the leaders of this aggregation of collectors every realized (or wanted to admit) how valuable the flea market was in ensuring the furtherance of the hobby. The "finds" we uncovered, the serendipity of discovery and the opportunity to meet other collectors and talk things over.

I joined AWA in July 1971 when one needed two member recommendations. Having a ham license eased the process. Apart from the continuous stream of quarterly bulletins filed away since 1971, I have yet to be contacted by anyone in the club over the ensuing forty-six years!

Absolutely no curiosity about us, what we collect, other interests/hobbies, educational background/CV, maybe even a query about how we might help the group otherwise. It's a fault of all groups incidentally to their detriment and in some cases their eventual dissolution.

There have been a few scattershot requests for a donation to the "museum fund" which always land in the circular file because they are so impersonal. What we have here is a group that's not very interested in reaching out to its members.

Sounds like the meet was a dud.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 10:34 am 

The biggest problem with the AWA is that they are overly fixated on pre-1930 technology. Lud Sibley tried to reverse that trend when he was editing the OTB/Journal, but that was many years ago.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 12:14 pm 

Thank you algermond.

We both feel the same way. Though, I started later, I really enjoyed the atmosphere at the Canandaigua location. My first year was 1986 and I was hooked! Like you said, the flea market was like Christmas on steroids! :D

I went every year afterwards until 1998. I have not been to the convention since and heard of the flea market it dying over the years.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 4:23 pm 

It is not 1999 anymore.... and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make time reverse.

If you are a one trick pony and only care about flea markets with cheap offerings then the AWA conference may not be for you. BUT I go for the CONFERENCE with ALL its parts. It is in trouble but at least there are some folks there that are trying... I see NO up-side to ending the attempt to run a conference. We for the most part are old and many not in good shape, the actual number of folks willing to do the actual WORK OF MAKING EVENTS HAPPEN is declining but there seems to be no shortage of bystanders with their hands in their pocket offering copious words to mostly (not all) bad mouth events.

Rather than take the time to craft a new post, I'll copy comments I sent out yesterday... Filter as you see fit.
Joe & Ed,

Like every other radio meet, the AWA Conference was down. Killer historical presentations and forums for 2 1/2 days. Brian Harrison & Jerry Mason's Skype presentation was a memorable 'new technology' event that will become a 'must have' tool in providing otherwise unavailable conference presenters. Small Old Equipment contest but with hardware seen nowhere else. Many high priced collectibles in the very small flea market to drool over. I only bought one box of parts and ONE radio...
BUT WHAT A RADIO! Two Orioles popped out of the same vehicle. A 7B (with a big crack in the bakelite chassis) AND something I was not at all aware of... A Model 100 eight tube battery set with users manual! Still using the cathode follower amps... This time FIVE (I think)
stages and SIX tuned stages!

This is going to allow us to write another chapter to the Oriole saga. (See snapshots)

In addition to this set, I stumbled across a 1924 newspaper article in the Battle Creek Enquirer that leads me to think that Anthony Winther may not have been the primary designer of the cathode follower circuit.
It could be a guy he was said to have worked with him in Battle Creek for 4 years by the name of Mark Kindt. This guy must have been a ham but I have yet to prove it. According to the article this Mark Kindt was making some wild claims to a revolutionary circuit...

Kindt moved to Kenosha and is listed as one of the officers of W-K Electric Co. It could be that Anthony's name is on the patent because his brother Martin had many patents to this name (some 60 total).
Fleshing all this out has a potential for great fun....

The museum has made significant improvements and additions in the past year. They just acquired a circa 1928 Jenkins DRUM scanner & receiver COMPLETE. The only known complete outfit. (The Toronto TV museum has just the drum scanner.) Mike Molnar and I got to tear into it a little bit to make preliminary snapshots of the scanner.

THEN we went to the museum library and were the first outsiders to see the incredible scrapbook collection assembled by WOR's chief engineer John R. Poppele from 1935 onward. Folio size scrapbooks that if stacked might be 4 or 5 FEET high! Documentation of the first pre-war FM and TV station setups in NYC and even correspondence with the likes of the Don Lee TV operations in Hollywood circa 1938-40. Hundreds of pages of test pages of the Finch facsimile system for delivering a radio newspaper in your home. (Similar to Crosley Reado) in the same time period.... and on and on..... It will take weeks just to generate a top level inventory and flag significant documents of the scrapbooks alone.... THEN there are banker's boxes and even circa 1940 transcription discs to plow through.

The auction was large with stuff ranging from junk to highly desirable.... Much of it was from Lauren Peckham's estate. The tube collectors in the auction audience of about 40 to 50 folks dropped some serious change. I bought one tube lot consisting of a Magnavox Type A (first iteration) and a FARAD 'Values' . (A mystery tube that sure looks to be a AC filament triode constructed nothing like a Type 26, Kellogg, Arcturus, etc.)

So even though my acquisitions were few, I left a happy camper.

Robert

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 7:37 pm 

Funny thing about AWA. It is the best source for early quality finds. I daresay most people prefer junk flea markets not historical radios.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 22, 2017 11:14 pm 

Please guys, I'm not "badmouthing" anything.
I just find it sad that the conference is dying.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 12:51 pm 

On my day-trip on Thursday, I enjoyed talking with friends and acquaintances at the flea market and looking at the restored radios that were being offered. I had previously given a friend a bunch of unrestored items such as several tombstones and a 1946 TV along with some other stuff for his table which all sold.

The AWA conference runs concurrently with a huge, week-long flea market and antiques show at Bouckville, NY which attracted most of my attention. There were lots of radios there including a magnificent display of beautifully restored tube and transistor sets featuring many Transoceanics...all reasonably priced.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 8:14 am 

azenithnut wrote:
Please guys, I'm not "badmouthing" anything.
I just find it sad that the conference is dying.

-Steve

Steve,
Back in the 90's and early 00's, several of us tried to get AWA to operate the flea market in a way to encourage newbies and casual collectors to come, but it fell on deaf ears. Back then you had to join AWA just to attend the flea. We were told that the event was a "CONFERENCE" and the flea market was a minor part of that. And, no publicity was done to the general public. I saw some newbies turned away by cranky old men staffing the entry to the flea. The flea started in the dark of morning and was over each day by noon. Not what you want for newbies.

Kutztown came along and offered sellers a MUCH cheaper venue, With tables supplied, with a roof overhead, AC power and lighting, and THEY did the publicity ! Most all the serious flea sellers at AWA left for Ktown, I call them the "Rochester Refugees", and I am one ! I attended and sold at AWA about 10 times between 1986 and 2004, then have been at the fall Ktown since 2006. No reason to go to Rochester anymore for me.

I attended my first ever AWA when they moved the show one year to Dearborn, MI for the Bicentennial (1976). I met the late great radio historian/archivist Alan Douglas there for the first time, who was my mentor via pen-pal when I was 16/17 back in 1972/73/74. I remember how at the Dearborn meet I was 19 and there were all OLD men who wanted to talk about battery radios only. I was restoring AC radios for the general public by then, doing about one a week while working nearly full time at an electronics parts supply house (counter man) and going to school nearly full time too. I did not attend another swap except Dayton ('75-'77 era) until Elgin 1985, which was a real eye opener as there were many others into AC radios by then ! Wow that was fun to meet others there, it was so exciting, like finding brothers I never knew ! I remember going out to eat with some guys from WI or MN who called themselves the "Radio Freqs". WHat fun. I went back every year thru 1999 or so when that one declined and Michigan became the main show in the Midwest. ARCI has revived which is nice to see, but its still under the open sky.

We have made every effort (and more are coming) in Michigan to promote our shows to the general public and newbies, and keep costs reasonable and venues that are EASY to access and have all possible advantages for sellers.
Sadly, the AWA event location is very bad and they should have changed it years ago. Somewhere in downtown Rochester there must be a better place ! And, make it $5 admission to the flea, keep the 'full registration' fee for those that want to attend or sell at the auction, go to seminars and such (as we do in MI). All indoors would be great too, but at least a covered location. Not easy to do all this and publicity to the public is key these days.
AWA Charlotte....thats a show that needs saving next before it dies. Great location (hotel, and wealthy, young city) although under the sky too. They need to find a PR person badly !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Aug Sun 27, 2017 4:04 am 

Kutztown did not kill the AWA flea market. The AWA killed it themselves by years of demanding buyers had to pay for conference admission and running the flea market like it was something they had to do but didn't want to. It's free for buyers finally but at the same time they are running an indoor that you have to pay to enter. I live 50 miles from it but it's been hardly worth the drive the past few years.

I was tempted to come back to sell this year as it was open to the public but my emails weren't returned when I sent inquiries. If they can't be bothered, I can't be bothered.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 30, 2017 6:09 pm 

Steve, no offense taken.

Robert, Where are the snapshots of the Orioles, I would love to see them.

This convention sounds like it has it's problems, and yet, sounds like an event I would love to attend.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 30, 2017 6:24 pm 

I have not posted detailed pictures yet.

Here are a few of the Warwick 71 at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=325642&hilit=+oriole

The Oriole Model 100 I just acquired just has snapshots that I, for some reason, cannot access from my shop PC just now. (I hate computers - But can't live without them.)

Time to go debug... Path re-established but am clueless as why it went away. So here are a few pix.

I just finished scanning the Oriole Instruction manuals. Each group of four pages is in .pdf form but the file sizes are six to eight meg. I can e-mail the pages if you want them

Robert

Attachments:
800-Oriole-100-1.jpg
800-Oriole-100-1.jpg [ 101.18 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]
800-Oriole-100-2.jpg
800-Oriole-100-2.jpg [ 103.78 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]
800-Oriole-100-3.jpg
800-Oriole-100-3.jpg [ 136.57 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]
800-Oriole-100-4.jpg
800-Oriole-100-4.jpg [ 104.11 KiB | Viewed 956 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 10:42 pm 

Robert, I have never seen an Oriole 100. That is an amazing Radio. Lots of RF amplification
and all the pot metal still looks good. Thanks for posting the pics.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 11:03 pm 

The tuning condenser frames are sand cast aluminum (thank goodness).

And the chassis & shields are aluminum too.

Robert