Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EXTRAVAGANZA -- ideas to improve/enhance!!
PostPosted: Aug Wed 02, 2017 6:58 pm 

The Michigan Antique Radio Club (MARC) has just concluded it's 32nd annual EXTRAVANGANZA convention. Thanks to everyone that assisted and/or attended. While MARC is proud of the club's longevity and our convention...we are also anxious to get your feedback and ideas as to what you suggest can be done to make this event even better.

In addition to those of you that attended EXTRAVAGANZA 2017, we would also appreciate hearing from those of you that have never attended, or attended previously (but not recently) as to what can be done that would entice you to attend once again. MARC appreciates you taking the time and effort to share your comments & ideas here for us. We would also ask that you keep your comments & ideas positive and thoughtful. Nothing is off the table -- we are listening.

Jim Clark :D
MARC co-founder (with Brenda)

Post subject: Re: EXTRAVAGANZA -- ideas to improve/enhance!!
PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 1:37 pm 

Hi Jim,

One thing I would suggest, if possible, is the option to have parking lot sales in addition to the inside venue.

I know it is a wonderful thing to have a very large indoor flea market, but many people like the idea of pulling up, and opening their space on the spot rather than lugging their wares into the building requiring multiple trips.

Granted, this is all weather contingent, but I bet it would help some out of they have a choice. :D

Just a thought. If this can't happen due to regulations or policy of the Expo Center, then the idea is moot.

Thanks!
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 8:38 am 

I agree with Steve and mentioned this same thing after last year's show.

Giving folks the option of an outdoor trunk sales would be great. I know many vendors (myself included) who used to love to just throw a few things and a table in the trunk and get a cheap spot. Inside is nice but it is expensive (in comparison) and a lot of work for some of us old guys dragging stuff in and out. It is nice for some to just pull up-put out your goods and you are done. As well it brings in those occasional vendors who just want to "get rid of all this old radio stuff" and those are the guys with the best deals! I am only seeing the big professional vendors at the inside meet (the tent guys so to speak) who know what they have and charge top dollar. Nothing wrong with that but sure would be nice to have both!

Another would be possibly making it a one day event. Now that it is farther away from me and not a hotel attached to the show the family doesn't come with and I only do one of the days now. I miss half the stuff happening. I would almost prefer to have it all on one BIG day actually, kinda like the Winter meet.

Just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 7:41 pm 

Random thoughts.

The facility at Kalamazoo is excellent, and you could not ask for more as far as being brightly lit, comfortably climate controlled, and very easy to load/unload from your vehicle into the building. They have good food and the prices for the food aren't excessive. It's easy to navigate through the wide aisles and the size of the spaces allows for setting up displays of stuff for sale which are easily visible to prospective buyers and still allow the sellers room to comfortably move around and have chairs to sit in. After having done this show at the Expo center 3 times now, I would not be interested in ever again attending an outside show in a hot parking lot out in the sun, where there is also always the possibility of rain. Even being under the tent at Lansing was no guarantee the temperature would be tolerable, and didn't protect the outside rows of tables against rain, plus it was too dark inside even in the daytime.

A major problem at Kalamazoo is not having the hotel right at the location of the show. When bringing family members, they often like to do other things during the day at the hotel, and having to drive several miles is a serious inconvenience. You almost need to bring a second vehicle to make this work if they want or need to be at the hotel during the daytime. I believe this factor alone has stopped many people who traditionally brought family members along from attending the show. It's even more of a problem on the second day, because now we have to check out of the hotel early Saturday morning and go to the Expo center. If family members are involved, they very well may not be ready to leave the hotel that early on Saturday, and it takes time to get your things packed from the room and into the car. When the hotel was at the location of the show, you could easily ask for a late check out and have until 1PM or later for the family to relax, bring their things to the car, and check out. I know this can't be changed, but it matters. I can't load and unload my stuff into the Expo center without the help of family members, so if they aren't happy about coming or it becomes too inconvenient for them to have to stay at the Expo center all day, then I can't attend either.

If the club is set in stone on using this facility, I believe we will have to accept the fact that attendance will decline. I have spoken with many people (some are not club members and have no interest in joining clubs) who used to drive to Lansing from the Detroit area to attend Extravaganza but they would always complain about the distance. Still they were only coming for the one day of flea market activity on Friday, and willing to make the trip and return home in the afternoon. Now, the drive time and distance from Detroit to Kalamazoo is significantly longer if you live in the northern or eastern suburbs. While you would think that shouldn't make a difference when we are able to have an all indoor show, these people are telling me they wouldn't consider driving to Kalamazoo because it takes more time and uses a few extra gallons of gas.

Two days of hotel room expenses may also be an issue given the rising cost of rooms over the years. If you are coming from outside the Kalamazoo area, you pretty much need to stay in a hotel for two nights so you can arrive on Thursday evening, unload and set up your space, and be in the area so you can just drive to the Expo center early Friday morning for the opening of the flea market. It doesn't seem like anything can be done about this. Also, if you read the online reviews of the hotels that are nearest the Expo center they are not glowing with praise, in fact they report issues such as bedbugs which would keep many people from wanting to stay there.

Ideally, this show should probably be moved somewhere close to Detroit, to a facility where the show can be all indoors and there is an affordable hotel ($75 or less) within a few hundred feet walking distance from the show. Having paved parking is also important. That is next to impossible due to the ridiculously high rates for such facilities in the suburbs of a major city and I think the club would lose money trying to make it happen, just like it did at Lansing.

Making it a one day show, perhaps open from 8AM to 5PM with the requirement that all sellers must stay set up the entire day, eliminating the main auction and featuring the flea market activity and silent and donation auctions might be helpful. But for those driving significant distances, they would still need to stay overnight on Thursday. However, that would save money for the sellers. Many buyers and sellers might not like the idea of driving very far to attend a one day event though, so this might be counterproductive.

Also, the buying habits of those purchasing radios at the show seems to have changed dramatically over the past few years. Most buyers that I talk to are looking for clean but unrestored radios that are complete, which they can buy at the lowest possible price and then restore themselves. This year there were several people who are not radio collectors, but wanted some old radios to use as decorative items attending the Kalamazoo show. They didn't want sets that worked, they were looking for clean radios that didn't need repainting or refinishing and attractive styling.

Many sellers have told me the sales of working, already restored sets have dropped quite a bit in the past few years, and all sales have dropped once you get above the $100 price level. People are now looking for the $20 to $50 radios and not the $200 to $500 ones.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 04, 2017 8:46 pm 

I am a board member and apologize for not being able to attend the last few meetings where I can only blame myself for not sharing.

However, since Jim is asking for all ideas, has anyone in our club ever suggested the Wastenaw County Farm Council ("fairgrounds") for a future Extravaganza? This facility is right off the I-94 freeway near Ann Arbor. It has indoor and pavilion facilities. My wife and I attend antique shows there all the time, and it seems a perfect mix of indoor and drive-up, yet covered facilities. I have no idea what it costs, and a realize that is only one element.

http://washtenawfarmcouncil.org/index.html

It reminds me of Rennigers Kutstown!

You are still near a major population center (Detroit) and Ann Arbor is booming. There are lots of trending baby boomers with money to spend as well as young people.

Mark K8KZ

PostPosted: Aug Sat 05, 2017 8:25 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:

Ideally, this show should probably be moved somewhere close to Detroit, to a facility where the show can be all indoors

+1

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 12:50 am 

As with all shows I would like to see updates such as pictures during the show. That way people that cant make it or are thinking about going can see what is going on. It's the 21st century with computer phones with cameras.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 8:55 am 

Want to see the 2017 Michigan summer Vintage Electronics Extravaganza? Youtube video... get a beverage and some munchies the whole thing is 1 hour long !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_rrRR9v-bw

Thats my booth starting at 9:13 mins into this. Wife Leann with the blue hair selling capacitors, knobs and such while I was away from the booth. Shows part of my pile of Zenith consoles too... bins of knobs, etc.

As to the comments about the show:
There are EIGHT hotel/motel selections within 4 miles, the closest is just under 2 miles. From Red Roof on up to Four Points by Sheraton. We usually stay at the Baymont Inn, price is great ($75 special, mention MARC) and you can get two doubles or a king bed at that rate. Nice place, free breakfast too. No other show offers this many options so close by. Restaurants nearby too, and a very cool "Kalamazoo Beer Exchange" pub downtown that changes beer prices like the stock exchange ! They have price "crashes" every so often ! http://kalamazoobeerexchange.com/gallery/ We usually have a group of us there after the Thurs eve vendor setup.

You can car camp, tent camp, or park an RV and hook up at this venue. Just get the permit from the Expo Center, its cheap. Showers on site too.

AC power available at all locations in the show. Great lighting, air conditioned, NICE bathrooms, great food vendor open the whole show hours. Over 40,000 total sq ft here just for this show ! EASY load in large doors. MARC even provides 4 wheel carts ! Nice smooth polished concrete floor. One more thing... its not corporate owned. MARC was up against constant management/ownership changes at Lansing. They were eventually going to deny us setting up the ($$$) huge tent (200'X 40') we had. Plus rates for the ballrooms and the flea market rental of the parking lot were rising. The Expo Center is County owned. We think that is a more static deal.

So, answers to some comments:
The show will likely never move. This venue is nearly perfect. The MARC board looked at many places all around lower Michigan, with concerns also as to accessibility to folks in the major nearby population centers. This show is only 2.5 hrs drive from Chicago (one hour less than Lansing was !), under 4 hrs from Indianapolis. Its the same distance for our southern state folks as our old Lansing location was, 8 hrs from Knoxville, TN for instance.

Look at the youtube video. No sense setting up outside and being exposed to weather and having to pack up all your stuff each night and protect from possible wind or rain. MARC just doesnt have enough staff to have both indoor and outdoor setups so I dont see any outdoor happening unless we start to sell out the indoor in a few years. This might happen, who knows. If spaces are selling out then we could hire some extras to staff the doors but for now this is not going to happen. Its so easy to load in and no worries about weather or overnight theft, etc. Plus no AC power out in the lot (there is for campers of course). PLUS, indoors we have all the tables and chairs we need and a PA to communicate when silent auctions are happening and such. No way to communicate outside. You need help loading in? Get some carts, and we can probably round up some helpers if you need help rolling in. But, overall, you will probably find doing this show EASIER than you did at Lansing. No heat/rain beating down on you, no tents or tables or chairs to set up or carry to the show, etc, etc. And, less possible sun damage to nice wood finishes or other items (cant tell you how many nice 70's-90's era turntables I saw ruined by sun heat at the old outdoor event in Lansing).

Gas prices have been lower than the last time the show was at Lansing (2014) so anyone east of the show who would gripe about driving further west is bad at math. From Detroit the show is now exactly one HALF hour further than Lansing was. Thats about 35 miles further each way. At say 20mpg, thats 3.5 gallons more. So, it cold cost maybe $8 more but if you last came in 2014, its probably a wash from what you paid then. If $8 is over your limit, you probably should not come alone, buddy up.

Everyone who attends this event raves about the venue and the show. Nothing beats dealing in person with folks. Its a fun, friendly event. Just look at the Youtube video... a wide array of stuff for sale by a wide array of characters ! So, put it on your calendar for next year. Thurs July 12 (set up) , July 13 & 14 2018 (flea mkt, auctions, etc).

More comments welcome, too...

Mark Oppat
MARC Media volunteer

Last edited by oldradioparts on Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 8:57 am 

Dennis Wess wrote:
Mr. Detrola wrote:

Ideally, this show should probably be moved somewhere close to Detroit, to a facility where the show can be all indoors

+1

Nothing near Detroit offers the amenities at the price of the Kzoo Expo Center location. MARC looked. Looked really long and hard, probably considered 30 or more places. Sorry but the closer you get to larger cities the more the costs go up, and fast.

Mr Detrola wrote:
"While you would think that shouldn't make a difference when we are able to have an all indoor show, these people are telling me they wouldn't consider driving to Kalamazoo because it takes more time and uses a few extra gallons of gas. "

see my post above for the actual facts on the distance and cost extra from Detroit to Kzoo vs Lansing. Tell them its less than half hour more and with gas less than it was last time in Lansing, its about the same cost, but certainly only under $8 difference !
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:18 am 

markmoke wrote:
I am a board member and apologize for not being able to attend the last few meetings where I can only blame myself for not sharing.

However, since Jim is asking for all ideas, has anyone in our club ever suggested the Wastenaw County Farm Council ("fairgrounds") for a future Extravaganza? This facility is right off the I-94 freeway near Ann Arbor. It has indoor and pavilion facilities. My wife and I attend antique shows there all the time, and it seems a perfect mix of indoor and drive-up, yet covered facilities. I have no idea what it costs, and a realize that is only one element.

http://washtenawfarmcouncil.org/index.html

It reminds me of Rennigers Kutstown!

You are still near a major population center (Detroit) and Ann Arbor is booming. There are lots of trending baby boomers with money to spend as well as young people.
Mark K8KZ

Mark,
Ann Arbor is hot on our list of locations and we looked at many around there, both in town and out, and the WCFC was one we checked out 3 yrs ago. We talked about doing a show IN town to attact students... but never came up with a viable location. Most rooms are too small there. For ease of loading we also need ground floor. Ann Arbor not cheap either. We would want to do it during school year, ideally away from our existing late January show... so a fall time was considered. If you have any great ideas let us know, but I think we covered all the venues there.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 3:20 am 

Please "don't touch that dial" as they used to say.

Why spoil a great event. It's one of the highlights of the collector season.

Extravaganza represents the future. Indoors and climate controlled. A spacious hall filled with conveniences. Plenty of parking.

So hotels and restaurants aren't next door. Boo! Hoo!

Why tangle with a hot parking lot and the uncertainties of weather.

Someone is inconvenienced because they have to drive a few more miles? A 1200-mile round trip for us with absolutely no complaints whatsoever about this well-organized event.

Perfect!

Don't change any thing because Extravaganza will only get better over time with a few tweaks here and there of course.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 11:24 am 

I have to agree, the access to the Expo center was very easy and plenty of parking to be had.
At least for me, the move to Kzoo wasn't much of a change in distance traveled. Just required taking a different route is all.

My suggestion wasn't meant to spoil a good thing. If everyone is happy with the venue and moving their wares into the building is made easy, then all the more for it. :D

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Thu 10, 2017 1:35 am 

I was just curious why the past two years after the show I see the same post asking for ideas to improve and when we post some they are all immediately slapped down by "oldradioparts", he tells us everything is perfect and nothing will change. ?

:|

PostPosted: Aug Sat 12, 2017 1:51 am 

I haven't attended since the meet moved from Lansing, but radio collecting has diminished in importance for me over the past few years as well. It's about the same distance so if I really wanted to come, I would. It's gotten harder for me to take vacation days for radio meets, so I'd probably be more inclined to come if the main swap day of the meet was Saturday, and not Friday. I'm close enough that I could drive up after work on Friday without taking a day off.

Peter

PostPosted: Aug Thu 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

When I started this thread originally, I was looking for input, brainstorming and information collecting only. It was NOT my intent for that input to be challenged or justified here. My own personal experience is that the best brainstorming takes place when ideas are not challenged or judged at the time they are offered - which I strongly believe inhibits others from contributing their ideas.

Later, in this case the MARC Board (of which I am not a member), can discuss amongst themselves the ideas contributed here and elsewhere and determine which ones can and should be assimilated or otherwise acted upon to enhance EXTRAVAGANZA in the future.

There is no doubt that everyone that has contributed to this thread to date means well and shares the common interest in making EXTRAVAGANZA the best experience it can be for all.

Thank you again.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 2:45 am 

bastardbus wrote:
I was just curious why the past two years after the show I see the same post asking for ideas to improve and when we post some they are all immediately slapped down by "oldradioparts", he tells us everything is perfect and nothing will change. ?

:|

I never "slapped down" any ideas, just explained that the MARC Board did consider the ones mentioned, such as the Ann Arbor location suggested by Mark Mokris, and we came up dry on it. As I said in that post, its still a possibility that a fall location could be found in that area.
I also tried to explain all the advantages to the current Kalamazoo Expo Center that perhaps have not sunk into the collectors yet, such as the on-site camping and hookups. We have had several folks say "never heard about that" when they were at the show. We've had it in all the flyer inserts but somehow its not connecting yet. Its the only show in the USA we know of to offer so many choices. 8 motels PLUS on site camping.
MARC is for sure open to any ideas to improve the show. Dont take any response by me to ever be such.
Keep the comments coming, please.
Our biggest challenge in my opinion now is to get the kind of attendance our winter show is getting from newbies and related collectors. We had a record crowd of over 600 last winter. Kzoo was something under 400 from what I heard, which is similar to K-town. We can, and will, do much better on that.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 3:00 am 

Peter wrote:
I haven't attended since the meet moved from Lansing, but radio collecting has diminished in importance for me over the past few years as well. It's about the same distance so if I really wanted to come, I would. It's gotten harder for me to take vacation days for radio meets, so I'd probably be more inclined to come if the main swap day of the meet was Saturday, and not Friday. I'm close enough that I could drive up after work on Friday without taking a day off.

Peter

MARC has made every effort to keep Saturday wide open for flea market activity, and sellers stayed to the very end this year so you could have had about 6 full hours of shopping time there, plus the Bargain Auction. We have to clear the room by 6pm I think on Sat and we did. Peter, please put this one back on your calendar and tell me if its not the best show going today. See the video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_rrRR9v-bw&t=999s
Just look at all the stuff... its an amazing show.
If you are looking for more of the older stuff, such as battery era 20's with horns or artistic magnetic speakers, Kutztown is the better show for that. There is just more of that stuff out east. But there are no motels even within 2 miles of that show, and its only partially protected weather wise.

Lets hear from more folks who went to Kzoo this year.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Aug Mon 21, 2017 8:49 pm 

I think your missing the Forest for the tress on some points. Sure there are 8 motels close by but close by is vastly different then on site. It may seem almost as good but it is not to vast majority of us. My wife and kids would come with me in one car and stay at the hotel. It was nice to be right there if I need something or wanted to eat with the wife and kids we were all there. Sometimes they liked coming down to the show or in the eve they would swim and I would head to the banquet. It was SO nice to be able to walk up to the room for a few minutes to refresh during the day too. As mentioned my wife and kids no longer come because of no hotel on site, that being said I only come for one day now and I know many other spectator types and that now do the same. I like two day shows but unless the hotel is on premises or across the street I just won't stay two days.

As far as numbers being down and the increase at the Winter show...that supports my suggestion of making it a one day event. Since I don't stay two days it REALLY stinks I miss half the stuff going on. I usually put a couple radios in the Silent Auction and it helps me pay for what I bought in the swap. I can't do that if I only come on Friday...that stinks. In all honesty being I miss one day I have serious pondered not even coming to the show anymore. Again I have spoke with others who feel the same and many no longer come at all. What is nice about the Winter show being only one day is EVERYTHING happens in that day. You don't miss the Silent Auction or the charity auction. You KNOW all the vendors are there and you are not missing something that shows up the day you are not there. There is no need to worry about getting a hotel room and spending all that $$$. I think that is why the numbers are increasing for Winter and summer is down so much.

Just some observations...

PostPosted: Aug Mon 21, 2017 8:49 pm 

I think your missing the Forest for the tress on some points. Sure there are 8 motels close by but close by is vastly different then on site. It may seem almost as good but it is not to vast majority of us. My wife and kids would come with me in one car and stay at the hotel. It was nice to be right there if I need something or wanted to eat with the wife and kids we were all there. Sometimes they liked coming down to the show or in the eve they would swim and I would head to the banquet. It was SO nice to be able to walk up to the room for a few minutes to refresh during the day too. As mentioned my wife and kids no longer come because of no hotel on site, that being said I only come for one day now and I know many other spectator types and that now do the same. I like two day shows but unless the hotel is on premises or across the street I just won't stay two days.

As far as numbers being down and the increase at the Winter show...that supports my suggestion of making it a one day event. Since I don't stay two days it REALLY stinks I miss half the stuff going on. I usually put a couple radios in the Silent Auction and it helps me pay for what I bought in the swap. I can't do that if I only come on Friday...that stinks. In all honesty being I miss one day I have serious pondered not even coming to the show anymore. Again I have spoke with others who feel the same and many no longer come at all. What is nice about the Winter show being only one day is EVERYTHING happens in that day. You don't miss the Silent Auction or the charity auction. You KNOW all the vendors are there and you are not missing something that shows up the day you are not there. There is no need to worry about getting a hotel room and spending all that $$$. I think that is why the numbers are increasing for Winter and summer is down so much.

Just some observations...

PostPosted: Aug Mon 21, 2017 11:36 pm 

Bastardbus,

I'll try not to be so wordy this time...
Everyone agrees we'd rather have an on-site hotel but there is just no place that can accommodate this size show that has an easy load in, or that would allow a tent to be erected like at Lansing. Just are none, we looked. The other problem is if you do find one, most hotels are sold frequently these days and they say one thing one day and change it the next. Plus the cost is far beyond what we could afford without raising booth and table rates way beyond the current market. MARC felt having the municipality owned facility was a plus, and so far, its been great. So, YES, MARC understands that not having a hotel on site is not as good, but thought the pluses outweighed the minuses. And, so far probably 90% of the attendees seem to agree this is the best possible site and probably still the best venue of all shows in the USA. In my casual survey, at least 90% said they would be back if possible to the Kzoo show, and our repeat sellers seem to back that up.
Everyone agrees, hotel on site would be better. But, Kutztown is the major "out east" show , and there are no hotels even close by there, just nothing really, and that show is growing each year too. So, hotel on site is obviously not a deal killer for any otherwise well run show. I dont have any numbers, but each Kzoo has grown larger, and our publicity push next year will bring in the general public strongly like the winter show has. That is my own personal goal to get the general public to discover the Kzoo VEE. If we can just get them in the door they like the show, we know that already.

As to doing a one day show, this is totally at odds with what we keep hearing from others. They say they wont come to a "one day" show ! We heard this over and over the one year we had a one day flea market on Saturday only in Lansing. It was a still a two day show but you'd have thought we'd changed the formula for Miller Lite, it was a strong response we had not expected.
Personally I agree, I would like to see a one day summer show that would be 9am-6pm but I dont run the club and right now dont see that happening since we have so much going on at that show, but who knows. It will be discussed in the next few MARC Board meets along with all other ideas.

Keep the comments coming. And, especially those who have been to Kzoo, chime in.
Mark Oppat