Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EXTRAVAGANZA -- ideas to improve/enhance!!
PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 3:40 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
As one who travels a good distance to this show, I like the venue. I thought i would not at first but it has grown on me.

It is the same driving distance and I can camp ( now I don't camp on site but I camp at nearby Fort Custer as shade and trees are important in a tent)

I am a MARC member ( an out of state one) this year i helped with the silent auctions ( i liked the fact that there were 2) You might could do three of those as they seemed to be popular.

I liked that most vendors stayed almost to the end on Saturday, I think that helps. I know some must leave but is disappointing to attendees that can only show up mid morning on Saturday and all the vendors have left. I had someone yell at me the first Kzoo that they had driven 2 hours from Detroit and not many vendors were left.
I went to the Chicago radio show last year on Saturday and most vendors had packed up by 10 am, why did I bother to go?

I would not attend just a 1 day show as it is too far for me to do so.

I enjoy the presentations I think it is important to have these. However this year, the wood refinish guy was disappointing, he was in no way prepared to give any type of presentation to the attendees, I almost think we knew more about radio cabinet restorations than he did. I am not knocking his expertise but he was not a "presentation" person and we could all tell this. I know how hard it is to get people to do presentations and I appreciate his effort but it seemed to be a bust.

There needs to be more directions to the presentation room from the main hall. some people do not grasp the realization that you have to go outside to get to it. ( the quickest route) There were a few confused day attendees that could not find it.

I enjoyed the talk by Northern TV. and John R's Halicrafters restore tales.

How well does the Thursday evening presentation work? It seems fairly well attended.

Who won the Guess how many tubes contest I never heard?

PostPosted: Sep Sat 02, 2017 9:07 pm 

Simplex, the reason half the vendors have left on you is BECAUSE it is a 2 day show. If it was only a one day show all the vendors are there ALL day til the end and then some. That is why I suggested maybe a one day show.

With a 2 day show if you go only Friday and 1/3 the spots are empty (sat only vendors)...you go only on Saturday and those 1/3 missing vendors are there now but half the Friday vedors are gone...LOL! That is the problem with a 2 day show.

This is why I think the Winter MARC meet is becoming so successful...everyone is there for that one day, you don't miss any deals and vendors don't leave early. Besides how much would the club save by only renting the venue for one day? I think your income would increase and the venue costs go down...but I dunno maybe the cost for the weekend is same as a single day to rent the hall.

Good discussions!

T

PostPosted: Sep Sun 03, 2017 7:19 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
I went to the Chicago radio show last year on Saturday and most vendors had packed up by 10 am, why did I bother to go?

Many of those vendors, who packed up and left early, probably didn't even have to be there at all. They all could have just stayed home but at least they did bother to show up even if it was for a short time. You make it sound like they should have stuck around longer just so that you wouldn't be disappointed and be able to justify your 2 hour drive.

In the past, I've taken to the road at 3AM, from Indianapolis, just so that I'd arrive at Radiofest in Chicago around 7 or 8 in the morning. A small sacrifice in sleep in order to snatch up some great stuff only a few hours later. I've done this because I knew that there would be some vendors who would be leaving early, so instead of complaining about it, I adopted to leaving at an earlier time. Most of the time, I simply take the Friday off from work, and stay at the Radiofest endorsed hotel so that I'd be out on the sales ground by 6 AM. I do this knowing that most of the good stuff would be available only for the first couple of hours or so and many of the vendors would be gone by noon.

Last edited by Indiana Radios on Sep Sun 03, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 03, 2017 7:26 pm 

This is such a small sampling of hardcore collectors. Wish we could hear from many more out there, most are not on ARF by the way. The big bump in attendees at the winter MARC show is casual collectors and total newbies, also a few who maybe attended one show in the past came back after seeing the new publicity. We'll probably sell out of spaces early this year once we start selling them (we are currenly seeking a new 'host' for the show, the past one (Rob Murrell) is retiring out of that position after 15 or so years).
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Sep Sun 03, 2017 10:13 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:

A couple of things...

If you don't get there at the start at any meet the best stuff will be gone by the time you get there. Smart fellows will arrange their priorities to be there early.

What's going to sell at the Illinois meet will likely be sold before 9 AM, because by that time all serious buyers have made several rounds throughout the parking lot garnering all the best items. Staying open beyond that will result in few sales, so why should sellers bother to stay open? And there is absolutely no reason to stay to sell on the second day of the swap (made that mistake last year!).

By the way, last year at the Illinois meet I was still in the lot selling until 5 PM. This year I still was out selling to 8 PM, and didn't get fully packed up to leave until after 10 PM. Sure the sales were very slow late in the day, but I also attend the swap meets to visit with people, and staying at my tables late into the afternoon/evening allows lots of friends to find me and spend some time to talk.

I didn't attend last years K-Zoo or this year's either. A lot of people were talking about it at the Illinois meet, mainly in how disappointing the buyer turnout was. By the many pictures and the videos online I can see I didn't miss much. The aisles were almost empty, the only ones roaming around were the badged sellers looking for someone to talk with.

That's the same way it was when I was there 2 years ago. I was set up right across from Mark and Leann. Sales sucked for me and several sellers nearby. When I got home I was surprised to see the glorious review Mark gave it, including how he and Leann were so darn busy - "At my booth I was busy 98% of the time as is always the case... I didnt sit down the whole time I was there... on my feet constantly.". That's funny because my friends and I were commenting on how slow his booth was a lot of the time. He was often off roaming himself, and Leann was sitting there reading a book. Truly they were both very busy early, but as the morning went on, that K-Zoo show also slowed to a crawl. Maybe biased club publicity guys aren't the ones to be writing their own club's reviews online.

Even at multi-day club events it appears that the best swap activity will be from a couple hours before the scheduled start time (if not gated) to mid-morning of the first day. That's just the way it is nowadays.

I personally would like to see meet schedules such as:

Friday evening social dinner, for those that are into that. They can then get to bed early enough to get some sleep before the Saturday morning swap. Having the swap the morning after a late running auction doesn't allow for decent sleep.

Saturday swap from dawn until 10 AM (by which time 90% of the action is done anyway), 11 AM donation auction, time off for packing up and lunch, and a 1 or 2 PM auction. Then those that want to do more socializing with friends can go out again on Saturday night to try some of the local eateries and other venues.

I'm not sure what to do with the programs, as I never attend any. I, like many of the sellers, don't want to have to pack up to go inside for the programs. Maybe have the programs Friday afternoon, before the dinner. Then those that wish to attend those functions don't have to make that choice between programs and selling.

Of course, I'd also like to see these two day meets moved to Saturday and Sunday, so that those with M-F work schedules can still attend the entire meets.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 05, 2017 3:23 am 

Mark I watched that you tube video , that was fantastic. I wish more radio clubs would do this and show us what we miss by not coming.I hope to go to that one some day. I have gone to Kutzstown a number of times.
Bruce

PostPosted: Sep Tue 05, 2017 7:02 am 

bruce47 wrote:
Mark I watched that you tube video , that was fantastic. I wish more radio clubs would do this and show us what we miss by not coming.I hope to go to that one some day. I have gone to Kutzstown a number of times.
Bruce

I also attend Kutztown (fall only) and that is a great show too. Each show has its own character , and cast of characters, which is what makes attending the shows so great. Getting to meet other collectors with expertise in other areas, or, the SAME interests as you have is real fun. After 30 years of attending 3-5 shows a year, its amazing how I usually still see something new at every show, and meet new collectors who are either enlightening or at least entertaining. Thats the reason why Leann likes to go help out... she now knows a lot of these folks, and enjoys their company.

Thanks to Terry Dayton for the videos of Extravaganza . I think he has done about 6 years of them now, you may want to see the old ones on Youtube as well. John Hagman does a super job with pictures of Kutztown, I dont have the link to it right now but its out there maybe someone reading here has that link.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 1:35 am 

Regarding the comments from some of you about Kzoo being empty-are you referring to Friday, or Saturday, or both averaged out? The last 2 years, I have done well on Friday (completely selling out last year!), and skipped Saturday. I came back to sell on Saturday this year-just to see the silent auction, and possibly sell a few more sets. Nothing. Not even anything selling in the silent auction-nothing I needed there, anyway. But from what I have seen, there are more folks in the aisles each year on Friday, and the seller's tables have filled up more each year on Friday (with a few notable vendors missing who refuse to give the show another chance-their loss), but half of the vendors are packing up Friday and skipping Saturday. Some say they aren't selling anything, others prefer to travel home Saturday. I have the luxury of being within driving distance, and can go home to restock if necessary, but it doesn't seem necessary-no one is buying on Saturday. Maybe my junk isn't good enough :roll: . As for me, I will support whatever the club wants to do, and I would not miss day 1 for anything, but count me out for day 2.

Dan Fox

PostPosted: Sep Tue 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Quote:
Many of those vendors, who packed up and left early, probably didn't even have to be there at all. They all could have just stayed home but at least they did bother to show up even if it was for a short time. You make it sound like they should have stuck around longer just so that you wouldn't be disappointed and be able to justify your 2 hour drive.

It would have been a 6 hour drive and I was in the area and could only go Saturday.

I guess it is why have the flea advertised for all day if all your vendors going to leave.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
Quote:

It would have been a 6 hour drive and I was in the area and could only go Saturday.

I guess it is why have the flea advertised for all day if all your vendors going to leave.

We had probably 85% of the vendors stay both days, so I would hardly say that 15% reduction is "ALL". Also, the second day is the large Bargain Auction, the largest one in the USA, and has been for 15+ years. Usually takes about 1-2 hours to go thru it all. Lots of bargains and the reason some folks stay to the very end, which was around 4:30pm this time. We usually have to be cleared out by 6pm, but some vendors were still loading out til after 7pm.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Sep Fri 29, 2017 6:16 pm 

I really like the new (indoor) venue, and have been a seller for the first time last year and this. Enjoyed the event greatly. The first listed hotel is shabby, so I will try one of the others next year. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 29, 2017 8:29 pm 

OZ132HOME wrote:
I really like the new (indoor) venue, and have been a seller for the first time last year and this. Enjoyed the event greatly. The first listed hotel is shabby, so I will try one of the others next year. Any suggestions?

Leann and I have stayed at the Baymont Inn for last two years and its been fine. There are 8 hotels listed on the event brochure each year, plus on site camping or RV hookups allowed with permit. Thats a LOT of options, I dont think all the collectors out there realize how many choices there are, all within 2 miles.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Nov Wed 15, 2017 5:02 pm 

I have an idea. Move the show to Marquette, in the UP, eh ! You could hold it a the Superior Dome, the largest all wooden dome in the world, if it's available. Northern Michigan University plays football there.
Seriously, we have been talking for several years about attending the Extravaganza, maybe next year we will. I think if you have a very good facility where it is now, keep it. After attending the Hamvention in Dayton for 25 years, they decided to move it to Xenia, at a county fairground. It was the biggest DISASTER I have ever seen. That is unless you wanted to be cooped up in a hot steel building all day. My heart went out to the exhibitors who were trapped in there. We will not be going back.
So keep your nice building, and keep doing your best to accommodate who you can. No matter what, someone is going to be unhappy about something. I have NEVER attended a swap that I could walk to. Bring it to Marquette, and I wil, GLADLY.
Hope to see you next summer.

Bob S, Marquette, MI.