Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Madison WI Antique Radio Swap Meet August 20th, 2017
PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 9:53 pm 

Wisconsin Antique Radio Club Madison Chapter Swap Meet

WHEN: August 20, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am

WHERE: 3610 Lexington Ave., Madison, WI 53714

http://www.warci.org

General Meet Information:

Street parking is available. There is no charge for admission!

The Gate opens for buyers and sellers at 8:00 AM. The swap will end by 11:00AM. This will be an indoor/outdoor meet with limited indoor space. Indoor space is limited to 2 tables (or equivalent space) per seller.

As typical of most swap meets, the items are for sale by individual collectors, and most are one-of-a-kind. So for best selection (and the best deals), BE EARLY! But please stay around and get to meet some of the club members. These swap meets are a great way to connect with other local collectors that share your interests. By socializing at the meets you can find others that may have what you are looking for, radios & parts, people that can service your radios, and you can make some good friends.

Swap tables are $7 for WARCI members, and $10 for non-members. WARCI does not provide tables, so it is recommended that you bring your own table or tarp.

Contact WARCI president Nicholas Tillich for more information (see http://www.warci.org for contact info)

For breakfast, WARCI recommends the Fair Oaks Diner, at 44 South Fair Oaks Avenue. To get to the diner from the meet, head West on Lexington Avenue until you reach Fair Oaks Avenue, then turn Left. The diner is 0.9mi down the road on the right.

WARCI is proud to offer our members and our guests the largest number of club events of any Midwest area antique radio club. This year we offered 9 swap events on our schedule. The remaining WARCI event calendar for 2017 is shown below.

WARCI Madison Chapter Swap Meet
August 20 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
3610 Lexington Ave, Madison, WI 53714

WARCI Milwaukee Swap Meet
September 17 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
The Terminal, 5917 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207

WARCI Milwaukee Swap Meet
November 5 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
The Terminal, 5917 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207

Attachment:
nnnb.jpg
nnnb.jpg [ 71.11 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Post subject: Re: Madison WI Antique Radio Swap Meet August 20th, 2017
PostPosted: Aug Mon 14, 2017 1:56 am 

One week away!

Post subject: Re: Madison WI Swap Meet August 20th, 2017 SPECIAL ADDED BON
PostPosted: Aug Fri 18, 2017 12:52 am 

SPECIAL ADDED BONUS! News from the WARCI club president:

After the swap meet, I invite all WARCI members to attend a special guided tour of Stan Broome's Exhibit, "The History of Radio and Telegraph", which is now on display at the Sun Prairie Historical Museum. Stan has gone through great effort to put part of his collection on display for the public. The Sun Prairie Historical Museum is a mere 15 minutes Northeast of Sunday's swap meet, and I encourage all of you to stick around after the show for a tour. Entrance to the museum is free, but they do accept donations. Parking is available on the street or behind the museum.

We're planning on starting the tour at 12:30pm, which should give everyone enough time to pack up their purchases, grab a bite to eat, and drive to the museum. Reservations are not required, but if you plan on attending, please e-mail me or see me at the meet so I can get an approximate head count.

Exerpt from the Sun Prairie Historical Museum website:
"The museum staff, with the assistance of a private collector of radios, telegraph equipment and insulators, presents a portion of his collection. This comprehensive display covers radios from the early crystal sets up through transistor radios. There is also a working telegraph station in the museum for visitors to send a Morse Code message to the other end of the museum. There are also rare telegraph and power insulators on display. This collector is proud to have preserved the telegraph equipment from the Sun Prairie Railroad Depot"

The sun Prairie Historical Musuem's website is here:
https://www.cityofsunprairie.com/322/Su ... um-Library

The address of the museum is:
115 E Main Street
Sun Prairie, WI 53590

PostPosted: Aug Sat 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

Loading up the van now...

Another added benefit for those coming to the show is that the gas prices are currently pretty low in the Madison area. Make sure to gas up while you're in the area.

Attachment:
ert2.JPG
ert2.JPG [ 38.3 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sun 20, 2017 12:52 am 

Looking forward to it, Jim. I see the meet is advertised to start at 8. I know the gentleman that was the 'gatekeeper' didn't arrive until 8:30 at the meet in April to open the gate because he "doesn't like to get up that early". At least that is what I was told. Hopefully he gets to bed a little earlier tonight so everyone can get to swap meeting on time! :lol:

PostPosted: Aug Sun 20, 2017 1:32 am 

NostalgiaRadioTime wrote:
Looking forward to it, Jim. I see the meet is advertised to start at 8. I know the gentleman that was the 'gatekeeper' didn't arrive until 8:30 at the meet in April to open the gate because he "doesn't like to get up that early". At least that is what I was told. Hopefully he gets to bed a little earlier tonight so everyone can get to swap meeting on time! :lol:

Hi Greg!

Carl was there earlier in April. It's his venue (and we are very thankful to have it), so we have to abide by his wishes for hours of use. But in defense of the April starting time, that meet was set up and advertised to allow sellers in at 8:15 and the buyers in at 8:30, and did take place right on schedule. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=318872 for details of the last Madison meet. Not surprisingly however, there were many attendees waiting out on the sidewalk well before 7 AM. Probably will be the same tomorrow, as a lot of the fun of the meets is having time to socialize with all the friends we've made over the years.

This time we will let everyone in at 8:00 so we won't need to staff the gate. Any activity seen inside the fence earlier than that should be limited to club officials getting their displays ready in order to be able to do their club duties when the gates do open.

Looks like beautiful weather!

See you there.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 20, 2017 1:59 am 

Sounds good, Jim. I guess we beat the traffic back in April and got there a bit earlier than anticipated. And I probably didn't notice that it was an 8:30 start time instead of the customary 8 am. Either way I was glad to come in April....I scored the movie dial console that's my avatar on here. :D

Good to hear everything is on schedule for tomorrow. See you there!