Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 22, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brimfield Antique Show next week - Questions
PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 1:15 pm 

My wife and I are headed to Brimfield for the first time. It has been on our bucket list for a while.

We found a cute carriage house in Holland Ma to rent for the week.

Has anyone been to Brimfield?

We will be driving on from Holland early Tuesday Morning (like 8 am) and was wondering best place to park. Based on the map, it looks like Route 20. How bad does that get backed up?

Are there restaurants / food in the show?

How about bathrooms?

If you were guiding me, where would you start?

We plan on trying to do the show Tuesday and Wednesday and then head to Springfield for a day on Thursday.. Friday off to Boston for the weekend.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

Post subject: Re: Brimfield Antique Show next week - Questions
PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 1:47 pm 

I've never been to the Brimfield, MA show but the recently concluded massive Bouckville, NY show (also on Route 20) has many off-street parking areas, lots of places to eat, mobile restrooms and porta-potties. The traffic through the town was slow but not backed up. I suspect the two shows are similarly organized but I've heard that Brimfield is better than Bouckville. Hard to imagine.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 2:09 pm 

We have gone to Brimfield once - while traffic can be a bit much parking seemed readily available. Lots of private homes will charge for parking but there are quite a few places available. As usual the further away from the action the cheaper the parking. The event is huge with different fields of vendors all over the town so wear comfortable shoes - lots of walking. There are portapoties all over and various food vendors as well -- very much like going to a large fair - We also noticed that there are luggers that will help you take your purchases to your car ( like furniture) obviously for a price.

Hope this helps

Griz

PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 2:50 pm 

grizzly1 wrote:
We have gone to Brimfield once - while traffic can be a bit much parking seemed readily available. Lots of private homes will charge for parking but there are quite a few places available. As usual the further away from the action the cheaper the parking. The event is huge with different fields of vendors all over the town so wear comfortable shoes - lots of walking. There are portapoties all over and various food vendors as well -- very much like going to a large fair - We also noticed that there are luggers that will help you take your purchases to your car ( like furniture) obviously for a price.

Hope this helps

Griz

I wont be buying anything large as we flew in so anything we buy has to fit into luggage or get shipped

I am still tying to get a feel for the layout.

Is it walk-able from one end to the other?

PostPosted: Aug Thu 31, 2017 5:21 pm 

I went all the time back before Ebay came out. I could find higher end radios including catalin/bakelite radios at fair prices. Then with ebay on the scene Brimfield became basically a furniture flea market so I don't go anymore, miles of walking there.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 01, 2017 3:27 pm 

https://brimfieldantiquefleamarket.com/

There is a picture here that will give you an idea of the size of this event.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 01, 2017 3:33 pm 

I had to drive through that mess each year to reach some of our CP and base station locations when I was working. I saw tons of food vendors set up. You will not go hungry.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 02, 2017 10:29 am 

Brimfield from years ago! We also used to go to Brimfield but in the 1980's. My sister lived near Brimfield so it worked well. I don't know how it is today but it was fun then. Lots of Port-Johns. Some were very nasty a few hours into the opening, UGH! And I worked in a sewage plant, it could get real messy. Bring Handy-wipes!

There are parking lots you pay at in the area on old pastures or fields. Might rain on you too! Bring CASH (maybe a lot)!

Different fields would open different days and times. Some fields would let dealers unload as soon as they drove in. At least one made the dealers leave everything on the trucks and vans until the gates opened. This was supposed to allow everyone a fair chance to find the really, really good goodies. Prior to a field opening crowds would form on both sides of the main road (think it was Route 20). It could get crazy, people would surge across the highway and traffic would be blocked. Don't fall down in the stampede! Don't trip on the two wheel package carriers many people are dragging along. Wear really good walking shoes!

Haggle for the price! Don't forget where your purchase is if you leave it for later pick-up. Be in good physical condition to see it all. Book rooms well in advance. Find anything from a coffin to a catalin radio or a lobster trap.

It was terrible, but it was sooo much fun!! We found stuff that was very unusual and rare. We saw several famous actors prowling around but I don't remember who. Good Junk was a lot more important than they.

Our experiences was more than 30 years ago so many things have undoubtedly changed and probably much for the better. We have great memories of "Brimfield Hell". Loved every minute of it even though we renamed it "Grimfield".

PostPosted: Sep Thu 07, 2017 2:10 am 

We went day 1 and saw almost every vendor.

Saw a few radios and TV's. Only Waves had anything i might have wanted but it was NY prices.

Actually there was an RCA banner but i already have one.

Then the rain came day two so we went to museums.

Doubt we will go back for day three.

At least it is crossed off my bucket list.

Still to do - Rose Bowl flea market.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 07, 2017 2:24 am 

oldradio99 wrote:

When I lived in SoCal, the Rose Bowl was a pretty big flea market. It used to be on the second Sunday of the month. As I recall, the cost of admission varied depending on if you wanted to preview and when you wanted to enter.

GL,

Terry

PostPosted: Sep Thu 07, 2017 3:39 am 

radioterry wrote:
oldradio99 wrote:

When I lived in SoCal, the Rose Bowl was a pretty big flea market. It used to be on the second Sunday of the month. As I recall, the cost of admission varied depending on if you wanted to preview and when you wanted to enter.

GL,

Terry

Still the same 2nd Sun every month, from $12, 15, (20 early bird) bucks for admission. All parking is free.

Do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.