Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: East Tennessee - Proposed Radio Swap Meet
PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 6:58 pm 

As far as I can tell, east Tennessee does not have a vintage radio club of any kind. There are 3-4 amateur radio clubs, but not a club for collectors and enthusiasts and repairers of old radios.

I think there is enough interest for us to start down the road of maybe organizing a club, but certainly enough interest to hold an initial radio swap meet.

I'm open to all ideas about a swap meet: location, dates, ways to get the word out, etc.

Please chime in with a reply if you are interest in participating in an initial radio swap meet to be held somewhere in east TN (this includes any and all ARF members who wish to participate). And please offer a location, if you can, and your preference of when.

Also, say whether or not if your willing to help in the organizing of this. I guess I'm already on that committee by default. :D

I'll start off by saying that I was half way hoping that we could pull something together before the end of October this year....but if we can't let's shoot for early spring next year. It would have to be on a Saturday, of course. I haven't checked with my church, but I'm fairly confident that we could hold it in the fellowship hall of my church in Knoxville for free. We might want to think about moving the location around each year.

-= Ray

Post subject: Re: East Tennessee - Proposed Radio Swap Meet
PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 7:55 pm 

Ray,

Wish I lived closer. I'm north of Memphis, so I'm quite a distance from East Tennessee. I wish you luck.

Mike

"This is the last radio I will ever buy, dear; I promise"

PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 8:57 pm 

I am West of Atlanta but try and make it to the Nashville meet at least once a year. I would be interested in a Knoxville meet but am to far away to help with plans. Keep me in the loop when you get something scheduled.

Barry

PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 9:25 pm 

I am in Smithville TN, about 2 hours away from Knoxville. If you are up for suggestions I would suggest to have it later in the day, The Nashville meet starts at 7 and is over by 12. If it was 10 to start you might get others. Also the Nashville meet is usually April and October. So if you do it in those months you might have to compete with them.

There are others who live in Cookeville and Crossville who go to the meets. There may be some from Chattanooga as well. I wouldn't mind "thinning the herd" somewhat. I have a few to get rid of so I might be up for swapping some of mine. You may also ad workshops to it as others do.I have been wanting to go to the one I think in Huntsville, I think they have their own building.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 10:42 pm 

willy3486 wrote:
I am in Smithville TN, about 2 hours away from Knoxville. If you are up for suggestions I would suggest to have it later in the day, The Nashville meet starts at 7 and is over by 12. If it was 10 to start you might get others. Also the Nashville meet is usually April and October. So if you do it in those months you might have to compete with them.

There are others who live in Cookeville and Crossville who go to the meets. There may be some from Chattanooga as well. I wouldn't mind "thinning the herd" somewhat. I have a few to get rid of so I might be up for swapping some of mine. You may also ad workshops to it as others do.I have been wanting to go to the one I think in Huntsville, I think they have their own building.

Huntsville, Tennessee, or Alabama?

"This is the last radio I will ever buy, dear; I promise"

PostPosted: Sep Thu 07, 2017 2:20 am 

I stand corrected,Birmingham Alabama, not Huntsville Alabama.
http://alabamahistoricalradiosociety.org/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2017 4:49 pm 

Maybe the new group from eastern TN could travel a little west to help the cause.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2017 4:51 pm 

If anyone in this group would like a free 6888 parts kit just PM me with an address.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2017 8:10 am 

I'm in Memphis, so a central TN meet could be fun.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2017 4:34 pm 

Are there no hamfests in East Tennessee? In the past I have attended hamfests in both Knoxville and Morristown. In Morristown, there were several tables of antique radio stuff for sale. If there are hamfests, and the organizers would allow, perhaps an antique radio meet could be included (like the Crypto meet combined with the Charlotte CC-AWA meet). I have not attended in recent years.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 10, 2017 9:26 pm 

Greeneville Hamfest on October 21 (same day as one in Chattanooga). Morristown is usually in early January and Knoxville in mid-June. Usually there are a few antique radios, but not a very good selection.

Dave Mc wrote:
Are there no hamfests in East Tennessee? In the past I have attended hamfests in both Knoxville and Morristown. In Morristown, there were several tables of antique radio stuff for sale. If there are hamfests, and the organizers would allow, perhaps an antique radio meet could be included (like the Crypto meet combined with the Charlotte CC-AWA meet). I have not attended in recent years.