Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 10, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Music City Radio Meet - Great time!
PostPosted: Apr Sat 21, 2018 8:56 pm 

Went to the Music City Radio Meet in Nashville, TN this morning. Had to get up at o'dark thirty (actually 0400), pick up a friend and then headed over, arriving about 0630. The Nashville meets are small by some standards, maybe 40 there today (a pure guess) and all the tables were filled with lots of goodies - a real Buyer's Market.

In addition to being a swap meet/flea market, they have a small contest, usually two or three categories. They award ribbons, certificates, framed awards, and a debit card for places like Home Depot or Target this year for Best of Show and President's Award. I entered my 1952 French Excelsior radio and got a first prize and "Best of Show" so it was worth more that the effort to drag it over. They are always a class act.

In any event I found a few treasures to drag back home. I was thrilled to find (isn't that a good expression?) to find a real Farm Radio. This is very unusual in that it may have been a farm house doll house or some sort of display and it has a radio in it from the early to mid-1930s. The roof opens to show the inside. So darn unusual I just had to get it.

Next was an Atwater Kent Model 708 large wooden table radio. These don't turn up too often, so it got my attention.

Also go a very good example of the 1946 Zenith wooden table model 8H034, named "The Major" in honor of Major Armstrong. This has a standard broadcast AM Band, the "Old FM" Band (42 to 50 mHz), and the "New" FM Band (88-108 mHz) in use today. The radio was refinished nicely with great grain filler and was restored and had an MP-3 adaptor installed with an isolation transformer and a small swith on the back. So good looking and good playing.

Lastly a Meissner FM Tuner for the new band (88 - 108 mHz), but also has the Channel numbers on the dial that they assigned to the new band when it came out. They were quickly sropped and forgotten.

I took my little Zenith 6D116 over to see the Radiopup (Julie) for knobs, and for a speaker, but no joy!

In summation, was a great meet and well worth the drive and effort.

Joe

Attachments:
DSC02003.JPG
DSC02003.JPG [ 126.73 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC01996.JPG
DSC01996.JPG [ 116.12 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC01998.JPG
DSC01998.JPG [ 143.89 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC01999.JPG
DSC01999.JPG [ 125.85 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC02000.JPG
DSC02000.JPG [ 144.76 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC02001.JPG
DSC02001.JPG [ 132.98 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC02002.JPG
DSC02002.JPG [ 144.83 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
DSC02004.JPG
DSC02004.JPG [ 134.59 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]

Post subject: Re: Music City Radio Meet - Great time!
PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 12:20 am 

My wife Rhonda and I also made the journey. It was an early start, but not a big issue. We had a great time and got to meet some nice folks, including Joezenithman.

We brought about 15 items and got several sold. Some straggler items ended up going to club as donation in the auction which took place at the end of the meet.

We couldn't leave empty handed so brought home a cool little Detrola model 579, as well as a few tubes.

Thanks and kudos to the club members who make this happen!

Looking forward to fall meet, Tim

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 2:20 am 

Joe

It was great to see you in Nashville this morning. I am glad your Excelsior won first prize and Best of Show - it certainly deserved to, in my opinion.

Tim (Tkilboy) - I am sorry that I did not get to meet you today. Perhaps another time.

The Nashville group always puts on a very good meet. And the people in the Nashville club are all great folks! I had not been to this meet in a few years and it was good to visit there again today.

I brought home this really neat item:

It's a Meissner 9-1091C AM/FM tuner. According to links I found here and here, the knobs on my set may be incorrect.

What I really like about it is the fact that it was built in Mount Carmel, Illinois, about an hour and a half from where I live.

Last edited by Ron Ramirez on Apr Mon 23, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 4:32 pm 

Had great time at the meet.Was many great bargains to be had.Did very well selling too,turnout was not all that great but i think the early start time hurt. Hope the fall meet gets a better turn out!Auction was good with many things being sold at great prices.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 22, 2018 5:50 pm 

Sorry I missed you all, but once again I was on call from work and can't be more th 30 mins away. Looks like a good time was had by all.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2018 4:36 am 

Very nice,

Jerry

PostPosted: Apr Mon 23, 2018 3:05 pm 

Saturday was indeed a good time.

Not only did I have the pleasure of meeting the above folks who were there, but I was able to find new homes for a van-load of treasures from my downsizing efforts.

Though I didn't know who he was at the time of the transaction, Ron relieved me of the Meissner receiver above. Maybe next time I'll wear a badge with my ARF moniker so folks will make free to acknowledge their ARF affiliation so I and they can put a face with a name.

I will also know next time to keep an eye on tkilboy if he's there. When I wasn't looking, he sneaked a radio from his table to an empty spot on mine! There might have been stronger repercussions if his sweet wife hadn't been so good to chat at length with my grandaughter about a mutual career interest while they patiently waited on us.

Though there were more vendors this time (nearly a full house) than I'd seen in the previous couple of years, the number of buyers was not as great. Even so, I sold over $300 worth and took in a NIB FT1900R/E 2 meter rig in trade - a good morning.

The Music City Vintage Radio Club folks do a good job putting the show/swap together and you'd do well to come out to the spring and fall meets. They'll also be joining forces with the HamQuest folks in Lebanon, TN, at the end of July with several of our folks planning to sell there from what I've heard.

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see." Thoreau

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2018 4:34 pm 

We will be having our first meet in Knoxville on May 12th.

Darrell

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2018 4:46 pm 

I forgot to say the free cookies were the best i have had!Yum!Enjoyed seeing many ARF members and seeing old friends.I sold a good amount of what i brought.Will be at the July 28th Ham fest!Saw some real nice radios go for great prices ,yes buying was down a bit but there was more sellers.Love thoses novelty radios that were there.