Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kutztown Theft?
PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 1:18 am 

A friend had a nice Detrola stolen off his table at the Spring Kutztown meet. At a SARS meeting, numerous thefts (tubes, knobs, etc.) at the Kutztown show that just ended. Is the theft problem a relatively new thing, or has it been going on for a while? :?:

K4DLM

Post subject: Re: Kutztown Theft?
PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

Unattended tables are an open invitation to five finger discounts. If you're vending solo, it's always wise to ask a neighbor to keep an eye out while you're away from your booth.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 2:06 pm 

I've never had anything stolen at a radio meet and I have a bad habit of wandering off and leaving things unattended, but that's been years ago at shows like the Elgin Radiofest.

At Kutztown I usually set up with one or two friends so someone is more apt to be at our booth. We also know our neighbor vendors very well and we all kind of keep an eye out for anything suspicious. I wasn't aware of the Detrola theft at the spring meet, but I did hear of at least one very high $$$ tube that went missing at this recent meet and a friend had a small bag of wood knobs walk off, fortunately he had already taken the out the Zenith wood knobs.

I really hate to hear about stuff like this, but I guess we all have to be more careful, and unfortunately it is a different day and age. I'd suggest asking neighboring vendors to keep an eye out if you have to leave and to be especially careful with small expensive items like tubes and knobs.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 20, 2017 11:43 pm 

Very sad. I feel like I am someone they worry about because I am younger and engage with the vendors while my friend and I look through stuff. That said, while I may haggle, I always pay. I was only able to run through the meet this time. Had a ball though. Bought the largest box of fuses ever for a friend and some knobs I had been looking for for a long time. Seem like less parts vendors than May, but who knows.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 3:42 pm 

Dnitram wrote:
Is the theft problem a relatively new thing, or has it been going on for a while? :?:

Sorry to hear about the theft. Never a good thing. I hate to hear about it too...

Sadly, things like this happen from time to time.
I remember one of the first AWA Conferences I went to in Canandaigua NY back in the late 80s I ran across a vendor upset that someone stole the knobs off his Pilot T-601 FM tuner.
Why? Because they fit the Pilot 3 inch TV, which seems to have been a hot item at the time.

Also the last year it was in Canandaigua (1989) I made some purchases which I was keeping at a friend's booth.
The guy I came up with took off to do some genealogy studies of his family which was in the area and didn't get back till late.
I was running out of friends to watch my stuff as people were packing up for the day.

I ended up setting it next to a lamp post and waited for my ride back to the campground where I was staying.

I left the spot for only a moment, came back and my stuff was GONE!

An Atwater Kent 99 chassis, Pilot T-601 chassis (no not the one that had the knobs stolen above) Some NiB tubes and small parts just walked off.

I suppose someone could possibly think the stuff was abandoned, but come on! You don't just take something you know nothing about!

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

I Did the AWA conferences 70's and 80's as well as New England meets. I would always bring free bees. Usually some useful trinket. Like small plastic storage boxes, Mini-boxes, phone plugs, etc. I would reserve the outer corners of my table for them and bring them out from the trunk as traffic/time permitted.

I think that practice somewhat thwarted thefts. Never had a problem.

A couple of times I was placed in an awkward situation by a greedy buyer who paid his premium for an item and insisted he leave it while he continued shopping. I had to hide the item and and track the guy down to get it to him.

If I ever have that happen again I will promptly, in front of the owner, tag the item "FREE" if they leave it...

Can't remember who it was but at one meet a seller was wearing his shoulder holster. Didn't have a theft problem either...

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 10:31 pm 

Chas wrote:
A couple of times I was placed in an awkward situation by a greedy buyer who paid his premium for an item and insisted he leave it while he continued shopping. I had to hide the item and and track the guy down to get it to him.

If I ever have that happen again I will promptly, in front of the owner, tag the item "FREE" if they leave it…

Chas

Huh?
I'm confused...
There have been many times I've bought items, particularly heavy items where I paid for and left at the sellers booth as I continued "shopping"
Most vendors even offered to hold the item until I had a moment to pick it up and head to the car/van.

I've never heard of anyone unhappy with this.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 1:29 am 

I've never had anything stolen at a meet, but at a meet years ago, I agreed to sell a G.E. tombstone to one of our club's board members. Another member kept pestering me about the radio, which was behind my table for safe keeping. He would not stop, despite being told it was sold each time. He even came behind my table while my back was turned to pick up the set and take it to another table to "inspect" it, insisting he would offer more than the other member. At that point, I called on the board member to take the set to a safe location, and warned him about the other member's actions. I have to wonder about the morals of someone who does not understand the concept of fair and honest dealing-your word is your bond. I made it a point to never deal with that person after that-ever.

Dan Fox

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 6:39 am 

That's just sad , how can you not feel any guilt stealing things at a show.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

Chas wrote:

If I ever have that happen again I will promptly, in front of the owner, tag the item "FREE" if they leave it...

Chas

Please explain the "greedy" buyer. What, exactly, makes him/her greedy? I don't believe I have ever done a show where I didn't hold something for a buyer, including last week at Kutztown. On several occassions I've had vendors offer to hold something for me, without being asked. I consider it part of the service as a buyer and a seller.

Larry

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 3:33 pm 

I've never had a problem with holding something for a buyer until they come back-as was said, it is part of the service you provide as a seller. But we can't count on the buyers having the courtesy we expect, like respecting that an item removed from the table is sold and off limits, or that sellers would appreciate being asked if you can pick up a radio from your display and look it over more closely, or that a customer should not start taking the set apart unless they have bought it, and they should wait their turn if the seller is busy with another customer. If too many people crowd your table at once, that's a perfect chance for someone to run off with something-especially when you are alone at the table. As far as the already sold or promised items that are behind the table, if someone wants to know something about it or admire it, I tell curious people to speak to the new owner about it once he comes to get it-it belongs to him. If I saw a radio that had already been promised to me getting looked over by someone else, I would get concerned about it being sold out from under me, or knobs coming up missing. It should be considered the buyer's property at that point, and protected for them by the seller.
I must point out, the majority of the times I see these examples of poor behavior are at larger meets that are open to a larger variety of buyers. Other members of the radio clubs, especially if they are sellers themselves, usually know and respect these rules of etiquette and plain ol' common courtesy. But as clubs expand, seeking to grow and add new electronics collectors to the meets (audiophiles, collectors of phonographs, records, tube amps, computers, telephones, curious people off the street, etc.), lots of new people may show up. Unfortunately, some of them may not have been raised right, and something comes up missing. But hopefully, we meet a few more lifelong collector friends, and the good will always outweigh the bad in the end.

Dan Fox

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 2:45 am 

Chas wrote:

"Greedy"? How exactly? About 10% of everything I ever sold has been held at my table awaiting pickup. I insist they do so with heavy items if they have no cart lest they injure themselves. We're talking dozens of times.

John H.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 2:27 pm 

Being asked to hold an item isn't greedy. Maybe Chaz meant the buyer was in too much of a hurry to go get other items before anyone else does, leaving him to take care of the item and not coming back to get it in a reasonable amount of time. I've seen buyers get so wrapped up in the search that the seller is packed up and ready to go, but the buyer is nowhere to be found. The seller either has to track the guy down, or leave the item with someone else, or have the club make an announcement over the P.A. system to find him. That is inconsiderate, at least. I just hope my buyer comes to get their item before I forget what they look like. Don't want to give it to the wrong person. If it's heavy, I'll help them carry it or let them use my dolly.

Dan Fox

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 8:47 pm 

It's why if that happens to me, I always leave my cell number.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 26, 2017 4:00 pm 

These types of thefts have obviously been going on longer than I’d have expected. Wonder why no one has set a trap before? Whether by hidden camera and/or a hidden transmitter to run down the thief, catch them and have them made an example of and prosecuted? Seems relatively simple.

K4DLM

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2017 2:13 am 

Dnitram wrote:
These types of thefts have obviously been going on longer than I’d have expected. Wonder why no one has set a trap before? Whether by hidden camera and/or a hidden transmitter to run down the thief, catch them and have them made an example of and prosecuted? Seems relatively simple.

If thievery was common at radio meets, something would be done about it. Fortunately it's a very rare happening. Setting up a sting would be unsuccessful the majority of the time, as no crime would occur.

I've left my selling areas many times over the years, and have often come back to find money and a note left somewhere on the table by a buyer telling me a sale was made in my absence. And they often check back later to make sure I got it.

I think the vast majority of radio collectors are pretty honest folks.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2017 4:33 pm 

Agreed. In buying/selling, I have had more issues buying tubes that end up being bad (or this time about 10 1960s germanium diodes in the brownish plastic cases...)

Shawn

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2017 8:48 pm 

Never had a problem at a show. I did watch someone pull and pocket a couple of #45 tubes from an A-K chassis before an auction a few years ago and reported it to the Auctioneer.
Guy wasn't at the auction later so I don't know if he skipped or was tossed out.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 01, 2017 11:45 pm 

Hamfests are no better, lots of thieves.
I always bring my plastic 4 wheel cart and I let the buyer use the cart after he gives me his Drivers License.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 08, 2017 2:56 pm 

A forum member had three high end Zenith Zenith consoles entered into the old equipment contest at a east coast meet. I think they were 15 tube, 1938 models. It was a long time ago, and the memory is fuzzy, but I recall that someone swapped out the original wood knobs with reproductions. At a monthly meeting of the same club I had a KT88 stolen.

A few years ago, at the same club, I had someone buy six tubes from me, for around 120 bucks. He later said he tested them on his tube tester, was not happy with them, and instead of calling me, he canceled the check, which bounced, and I was stuck with a $25 fee. I called him up, and he was a total A Hat. After doing a judiciary check on this club member, and seeing all of the charges on him through the years, including assault, and false imprisonment, I decided to take action. The sheriff Department was not helpful and thought it was a civil matter but my friend, the states attorney saw it differently and asked me to bring him the bounced check. I got my money back, including the $25 fee, and now when I do a search of the guys judiciary case history he now has an additional entry for stealing my property. As an added bounce he rarely comes to a meeting now.

It turned out that other club members had bad dealings with him too. They ignored the problem which allowed this continue. There are all types in this hobby. Some love the history, some love the radios, some love the money that can be had buying and reselling. We have seen the best that the hobby has to offer, people like Alan, Norman, Curt to name a few, and then there are those who steal and cheat. Be on guard, watch your stuff when your at a meeting, and make sure you know the person who is handing you a check.

David W.