Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 19, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Flea market experience today
PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 4:56 am 

It seems that rusty metal stuff and such is more popular than radios. Rima and I did sell one console for just the value of the two '45 tubes, a nice wood table radio with an eye tube and a Philco portable, but nothing else. Mission Viejo is not a poor area, but many people said they had no money, and others stated they had no space. So why were they at a flea market? The food trucks are always quite good at this flea market, and we met some interesting people. However, spend the booth cost, and the time to sell three radios at break even or a loss indicates it is time (past time) to stop buying radios. It has been, and still is a good hobby, but clearly a declining one.

Post subject: Re: Flea market experience today
PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:33 am 

Its all about marketing. For instance, the old "Antique Fairs" and stores have faded out, and the "Vintage" markets are booming. The "Detroit Urban Craft fair sells out of 100 booths each year in the old Detroit Masonic Temple (in the foot of the formerly dingy "Cass Corridor" , now the booming "Midtown" area of Detroit. 8500 folks came and shopped this once a year craft blast. See this http://handmadedetroit.com/2017/12/05/d ... Detroit%29

So, picking up on that, we rebranded our Michigan Antique Radio shows "Vintage Electronics Expo" and they have taken off.

Put 3.5mm stereo male cord end plugs on your radios and tie that into the vol control with a couple 100 to 1000 ohm resistors in series with each hot lead. Then, have a Bluetooth receiver on there and play some hipster jazzy rock and watch them fly off the table at over $100 each.

Mark Oppat
Antique Audio
Plymouth, MI

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 2:20 pm 

I did quite well selling my restored radios at a local antique mall. I sold them on commission so I simply dropped them off and received a check in the mail when they sold.

I also gave them firm prices and did not discount them. Plenty of lowballers and tire kickers would make offers but I never accepted any. In some cases the guys making the lower offers actually came back later and bought them for the full asking price.

I sold the average late 30s 6-8 tube consoles for $300 each and most tabletop radios between $75 and $150. I was selling radios to make room for the constant stream of new acquisitions and didn't expect to make money doing so, but I at least broke even or made a profit on every one that I sold.

AUX inputs/Bluetooth adapters make them sell fast. Also having them plugged in and working helps. The antique mall often displayed my radios by the front counter and had them playing the local oldies station.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 2:55 pm 

When the total man hours are counted up theres no profit to speak of. The travel time, computer time, recondition/repair, vehicle expense, etc. Other then the ARF theres little interest in these parts that I can see. Radios and related items at our auction sell for $10.00 to $50,00 depending on cabinet style, run of the mill, $10.00. European radios, $10.00 sometime no bids. A hobby it is, don't quit your job.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:00 pm 

This ^

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 9:29 pm 

I have built some interesting AM FM MP3 hybrid radios, took them to flea markets and such, everyone thinks they are "the coolest thing they have ever seen", no one wants to buy one at my break even price.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 1:24 am 

Flinx wrote:
I have built some interesting AM FM MP3 hybrid radios, took them to flea markets and such, everyone thinks they are "the coolest thing they have ever seen", no one wants to buy one at my break even price.

just said.... flea markets and antique malls are not the place anymore.... the youngun's have moved on to these "Vintage Markets" , many are "pop up" things. Its all connected on line thru Snapchat and stuff I have no clue about. Ask someone under 40, or better, under 30, about this stuff.

here is an example. They dont advertise on radio or TV, or in any newspapers. This one is packed every year.
http://thevintagemarketmi.com/events/

Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 2:33 am 

Another example is the local Oddities markets. The first one Morbid Anatomy threw two years ago pulled 6,000 people for six vendors.

http://onenewnythingeveryday.blogspot.c ... house.html

People like the new and different. And for a lot of the crowd alive today, tube radios are new and different. But you can't just advertise the same-ole-same-ole "Here's a buncha old stuff, come buy it".

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 6:11 am 

I have found "flea markets" to still be my best source for occasional bargains but definitely a far cry from what they once were. They are either becoming too commercial or too antique oriented with good deals being less frequent. My top flea market radio finds include a Telefunken Opus 7, Pilot H220, Zenith Walton 7S232, Zenith 7S363 console, Zenith 5S220 cube, Airline 62-303 Movie Dial console along with many other desirable models. Most were found in very good overall condition and were purchased within the last 3 years. They are all in my collection as I don't buy them to flip. Selling at flea markets is a different story. Can't remember the last time I sold at a flea market or swap meet. The money just isn't there. eBay is still my best selling resource due to the vast audience viewing my offerings. One does pay a fee or fees for this service but it's worth it to me. So long as I keep my selling standards at a high level the eBay seller discounts offset these fees to a degree.

Craig R

PostPosted: Feb Mon 05, 2018 7:34 pm 

This sounds like what happened to gun shows. Everyone wants everything for free and everything else is either junk or outrageously priced.

At least you had good food.