Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 18, 2018 12:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Charlotte NC Mar 22-24 Last discount rooms at Sheraton
PostPosted: Feb Mon 19, 2018 11:51 pm 

The"Spring in the Carolinas" event is coming Mar 22-24 sponsored by the Carlolina Chapter of the AWA. The host hotel is the Sheraton Charlotte Airport which has $99 rooms left for this event til today.
Call (704) 392-1200.

Also nearby is a Super 8 (704) 398-3144
A La Quinta (704) 392-1600
Motel 6 (704) 392-2316

and a couple others show up on Google Maps.

I am thinking of bringing a full size van load of stuff from the Detroit area this time, so if you are seeking any consoles or whatever, this would be a good year to go ! Also the Enigma collectors group will be there. The event site is http://cc-awa.club/

This is the largest vintage electronics show in the south. Well worth a trip and enjoy some early spring weather (hopefully). I have been to every one in the last 25 yrs and its a nice winter getaway for us northerners !
Mark Oppat

Last edited by oldradioparts on Feb Wed 21, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Charlotte NC Mar 22-24 Last discount rooms at Sheraton t
PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:19 pm 

Looking forward to seeing you Mark. Remember to bring some plastic tarps to cover your tables when it rains (not IF, but WHEN because you know it always seems to rain on this March show!!) :lol:

David

K4DLM

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 4:41 pm 

Mark,

I'm one of the Board members, just learned that the hotel will continue to accept conference bookings at the $99 rate until they have sold 90% of their rooms for any given day. SO IT IS NOT TOO LATE! You can save $10 or $20 dollars a night off the Sheraton conference rate by staying off site... But it is not worth it to me for the inconvenience. The Sheraton rooms are VERY nice.

Robert

PostPosted: Feb Wed 21, 2018 9:04 pm 

Dnitram wrote:
Looking forward to seeing you Mark. Remember to bring some plastic tarps to cover your tables when it rains (not IF, but WHEN because you know it always seems to rain on this March show!!) :lol:

David

Nawww... its always sunny and warm ! At least it was for most of the first 15 years I went there. But, Robt is right, its a very nice hotel and if you are anywhere in the mid south to Florida its the largest event of this kind around. My wife Leann helps sell parts with me at the flea market (she knows a .05uf is .047 now by the way!) and she loves coming to this event as we do some extra stops along the way, one being the Tamarack Arts Center off I-77 in WV (fantastic food in the diner cooked by chefs of the Greenbriar resort... always a treat!) and also we stay in Asheville one night and hit the "Jack of the Wood" pub for Celtic music and dark beers ! Also a former Woolworth's Store has been turned into a craft mall with their old diner completely rebuilt to its original fittings and they have great grilled cheese and malts ! yum.

Also, the German Enigma message encoding collectors group "International Cryotologic Symposium" group is there and have many seminars and displays. Its a most mysterious group, and if those "Steampunk" kids had any sense, they'd join up and learn some REAL mystical, magical retro technology ! Its really fascinating. Seminars are all on Thursday.

The auction at this event, too, is usually large and wide ranging. Starts at 1pm Friday.

So, call the hotel, book a room, grab a friend, wife, partner, neighbor or whoever and get yourself to this great early spring vintage electronics event !

Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel 704-392-1200 $99 a night for first class rooms, cant beat it.
Mark Oppat

Post subject: Re: Charlotte NC Mar 22-24 Last discount rooms at Sheraton
PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 12:52 am 

It’s coming up FAST!! :lol:

K4DLM

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 1:50 am 

I'm NEVER READY for the event... :( We are going to be short handed with some key worker bees. But the ones left are going to do their best to make sure the event works as well as it ever does... Our 43rd. year for this regional meet. 40th. since the first meet in Charlotte. My 39th year of being a worker bee (working in England made me miss 1996). Always hope that some of the under 60 crowd will step-up to continue the tradition...

Robert

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:29 pm 

Robert Lozier wrote:
I'm NEVER READY for the event... :( We are going to be short handed with some key worker bees. But the ones left are going to do their best to make sure the event works as well as it ever does... Our 43rd. year for this regional meet. 40th. since the first meet in Charlotte. My 39th year of being a worker bee (working in England made me miss 1996). Always hope that some of the under 60 crowd will step-up to continue the tradition...

Robert

Robert, if y'all have ever been short handed, I've never noted it. Under 60 crowd?? Yeah, I remember being in that crowd nearly 68 years ago :lol:

K4DLM

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2018 12:45 am 

How was the event/meet? I had planned on driving down but my Thoroughbred mare needed tending to and she is more important to me than radios.

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2018 2:06 am 

Not too good---For me anyway... Wednesday morning I was the first of the worker bees to arrive at the hotel, I unloaded my van partially and the meet chairman arrived... Just the two of us were standing in a conference room talking, I tensed up for two seconds and then crumpled to the carpeted concrete floor WHAM! Landing on my forehead and right shoulder. The guy I was with says I was non-responsive for about 20 seconds. Broken glasses minor chipped teeth and eventually off to an ER and hospitalized for about 50 hours going through diagnostic tests.. Never fainted before... DON'T RECOMMEND IT! Was released late Friday afternoon and went back to the hotel to creep everyone out :D :D

So someone else will have to provide a review...

Robert

Attachments:
Not-too-good.jpg
Not-too-good.jpg [ 51.29 KiB | Viewed 1417 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Sun 25, 2018 2:35 pm 

Robert,

We heard of your fall when we arrived Wednesday and our thoughts and prayers have been with you ever since. Good thing Brian was there with you! As I was headed to the Friday Le Mans swap meet start, I ran into Brian, who said he was headed to the hospital, as a kidney stone had kept him up most of the night.

I can’t give a proper review of the meet, but just say everyone kicked in and the meet and all activities went off very, very well. The “worker bees” did well and IMHO the swap meet and all activities were a big success!

Please get well soon and thanks for all of your work to make the meet an enjoyable event!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 3:23 am 

This was my first year attending and I had a great time. Thank you to all involved in putting it together. I learned a lot from the speakers and enjoyed seeing all the radios in the contests and auctions. I brought home an Atwater Kent 44 from one of the auctions as a souvenir. I'm looking forward to next year. Thanks again.
Philco47

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 4:15 am 

I second David’s comments. Robert, Brian and all of the Charlotte team are in our thoughts and prayers.

Meet was a success. I had a great time visiting with radio friends, many seen only once a year. Auction and contest were good. Weather was perfect for Friday swap meet. I sold a few things, made a trade, bought supplies needed and took safe delivery from a good friend that delivered an ebay purchase to me. We missed some that were not able to make the trip down due to weather amd other unexpected reasons. Looking forward to next year already.

Barry

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 5:36 pm 

Robt, I heard about your fall too.... horrors ! Glad to see hear you are mending ! Everything moved along well it seems with the help of Brian.

The tough part about your event is how dependent that event is on so few folks, none of which are under age 60 . I would like to help get you guys fixed up with younger folks to help, and save your show for future generations. Lets talk later about that. Charlotte is a fantastic location for a show and we drove around town and there are about 4000 new apartments being built all over town ! I heard 200 folks a DAY are moving into that area. That would be 70,000 a year that cant be right, but its a big number and many these younger folks are interested in vintage audio, or at least "vinyl" as they call it. Thats a key connection to the stuff at these shows now.

YES the weather Friday was sunny and nice (could have been 10 degrees warmer in the morning but it finally got up to about 60 later in the day). Saturday was colder and sprinkles too, but I opened up and sold a lot of parts and "box lots" of tubes for cheap. I sold two of the 6 consoles I took down and a 9-S-262 Zenith shutterdial chassis to a younger guy who is building a cabinet from scratch ! Sold a lot of AC cords, not as much capacitors as in the past however. Seemed to be a year of box diggers looking for odd stuff.
Mark Oppat

PostPosted: Mar Thu 29, 2018 12:36 am 

Hey! I thought the show was great. My first time at one of these and was pleasantly surprised at the many friendly people I got to chat with. From a newbie's eyes the event seemed very well organized, the venue was great and I loved the auction. Since I was traveling via plane mostly to visit my son at Appalachian State up in Boone I did not buy the several radios I would have liked to have bought - putting radios on a plane did not seem too realistic. Next year I will be beter prepared to ship anything I might happen to buy. I did pick up a little gem - this Silvertone midget as a souvenir of a day well spent. Thanks to all that made the event possible!

Attachments:
silvertone.jpg
silvertone.jpg [ 14.02 KiB | Viewed 1257 times ]