Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 22, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WOHOO !! Think I just did really well with this Reel To Reel
PostPosted: May Fri 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

Just found this in a Huge Hard Case Shipping/Transport case from an estate I just bought out !!
Fostex G24S !! 24 Track, 1" tape, has 3 manual, cord , return reel and 1 full reel and in beautiful condition !!
Have a friend who is an old AMPEX engineer who is going to go thru it for me and make sure its in perfect working condition !!
Anyone out there have one of these??
Rock

Attachments:
IMG_3406 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3406 - Copy.JPG [ 93.21 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

Post subject: Re: WOHOO !! Think I just did really well with this Reel To
PostPosted: May Mon 22, 2017 7:50 am 

I had the E 8 and E 16 which is the same thing for half inch and quarter inch tape. Once I got the Tascam versions I ditched `em.

They are a PPPAAAINNNNNNN to work on, sound horrible and never stay operational for very long. Some get to the point where it's cheaper to source another working one off of e.g. eBay vs paying an engineer to work on it due to the HUGE number of hours not to mention parts unobtainium since the 90s.

Like the 32 track 3 inch MCIs, it's not recommended that anybody makes new tapes on these.

The track width is four times smaller than on a normal 8 track 1 inch 4 track half inch or 2 track quarter inch.

Because the tracks are so small, you can't use the +6 and +8dB tapes you have now because the saturation will bleed thru to the other tracks.

You can't dub effectively onto adjacent tracks - it's either playback one set of odds onto other odds or play back evens and record onto other evens not both - until final mixdown.

Even if you get them adapted to 30 IPS with the normal 250 nWm tape and use the Dolby/DBX it was designed for - the hiss on those as well as the half-inch and quarter-inch versions is ridiculous.

Keep it and open up a transfer lab for garage bands churches and industrial training productions if you want - but don't make any new tape on it.