Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drunken Homemade Records by my Grampa from my Dad's Loft
PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 6:05 pm 

As you all know, my father passed away at 77 three years ago next month after his nearly 40-year battle with Crohn's and Colitis.

He owned a cottage up at the lake around three hours drive from the house - and between me being out here and my sister's recuperating from her car wreck (not serious just needs repeated chiropractic care) and my brother and B-I-L crazy truck driving schedules at their jobs - nobody's been able to go up and clean it out til this past weekend.

Among the expected huge pile of flotsam and jetsam jammed shoulder-high in the loft - we found an old steamer trunk of stuff my Great Uncle Earl sent back from Korea - including about 20 white-fiber (and a couple acetate) home records.

Acetates played fine and were interesting - but the fiber ones all played crooked. For those of you who don't know - it's very tough to see the grooves on a white fiber home recording disc. I got the bright idea of taking it off the player and using the drive hole as the center hole to see what I'd get.

Although it was at least centered now - it didn't do much for the reproduction. Apparently wherever they were stationed had a Home Recording booth somewhere in a bar off base that he and his buddies would frequent anytime they got a pass.

Almost all were dated - and you could almost tell by listening how far into the night each record had been made - because the guys got louder and more off key and out-of-tempo between lines etc.

We laughed so hard that by Saturday night the boys and I decided to sing some of the same early-20th-century music hall songs that were on the records after we had presumably consumed close to the same amount of alcohol in our systems as our Uncle Earl and his buddies over 60 years ago.

My cousin Charlie got the bright idea of making our own records on the blank sides and discs of the ones that were there - so now when somebody discovers all this stuff in my SISTER'S loft when SHE passes in 50 years or whatever - a whole new generation can get a laugh out of TWO different generations of drunken guys that can't sing nevermind one.

Post subject: Re: Drunken Homemade Records by my Grampa from my Dad's Loft
PostPosted: Jun Sun 25, 2017 1:33 am 

Well I hope you transcribed the discs onto some more modern medium to allow more convenient access in the future. Historical documents, donchaknow?

PostPosted: Jun Sun 25, 2017 5:48 am 

wazz wrote:
Well I hope you transcribed the discs onto some more modern medium to allow more convenient access in the future. Historical documents, donchaknow?
Yeh they'll be in among all the other ``rescued'' media we've collected over the years i.e to keep abreast of migrating to newer and newer formats.

But we're still gonna leave our records made in 2017 on 1947 blanks in the same trunk - along with a little battery operated player - just for S&G.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 25, 2017 3:03 pm 

I wonder what type of recorder it was?

I have a 1940 Zenith 8S593. It's a radio/phono and more - it also has a cutter arm and Zenith marketed it as a "Universal Home Recorder".

Information on it is scarce, but I did find this advert: https://books.google.com/books?id=QkoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=zenith+8S593&source=bl&ots=pRPTqA-yh_&sig=pxpyk1cOK2FKO8X7-ngEE66v5n8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fTdqVYbOLcyoogTunoHYBw&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=zenith%208S593&f=false

PostPosted: Jun Sun 25, 2017 3:23 pm 

This is just your basic no-name radio consolette with a normal GI recorder-reproducer in it.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 25, 2017 3:36 pm 

Awesome! Now that is my kinda time capsule! Leave instructions, by then they may really have no idea.