Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 25, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8 track tape sound quality
PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

I suppose that the larger capstan also reduces the chance of the tape being eaten.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 8:07 pm 

If your car collector friend is ever in need of more blanks, let me know. I bought a bunch of them at an estate sale a few years back and realized I got more than I'd ever use. That said, they would still need the sensing tape and foam pads checked out and replaced if needed, those just go bad from age, not use.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 9:09 pm 

Another thing I noticed is that the recorded level of the tapes also isn't necessarily the same tape to tape.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2018 9:29 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
RE the carts and drive systems

If they'd have come out with the 8-track version of the ScotchCart with the retension ability and no moving parts other than the tape - and the cobalt and chrome tape formulations -
half of the 8 track's problems would have been solved.

Half of the remaining problems wd have been solved if they'd kept the drive roller in the player instead of in the tape like in a 4-track a k a broadcast cart.

Or if they'd have supported the RCA Sound Magazine from 1957

As far as the 8 track carousel players (and a few of the cassette versions)

You'd be surprised how many of those were either made for half-speed BGM tapes to
begin with or else were converted down to 1-7/8. My Dad brought one home in the late
70s when the airlines were getting ready to do the last conversions to 3/4 speed cassette (1-13/32 instead of 1-7/8 allowing for an hour on a side of a C-90).

By then, cobalt and then chrome tape had come out for loop cartridge configurations
(originally 7-1/2 Fidelity at 3-3/4 on a reel - so - conversely - 3-3/4 fideilty at 1-7/8)
so we'd make the ``masters'' on 3-3/4 - play it back on 7-1/2 - record the 8-track on
a normal recorder and then play it back on here.

Later on we got one for our `73 Woodie LTD that also ran half speed and normal speed
so now we could drive each other crazy with tapes that were upwards of 3 hours apiece.

We ran across a 3/4 speed cass player too - presumably so execs could hear their BGM
tapes in their car.