Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: What record did you last buy??
PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2017 1:49 am 

I had Ry Cooder Bop Till You Drop years ago. Got rid of it with my others in 1986. Couple songs I liked so I picked up a nice fresh looking copy with the cellphane wrap on the jacket. Sadly, despite the pristine look, there are pops and clicks in the pressing even after an ultrasonic cleaning. The deal is that it was the first digital mastered "rock" record in 79. With the ancient 3M recorders. I cannot say that the digital is any particular advantage over a superb analog mastering, in the case of this one. Otherwise I hit the thrifts and charities, looking for estate records. Usually all the records in a box are from one, maybe two, estates. And if you find one nice one in a box, there are more, as some of the people took care of their records well overall, and they are all together for the cherry pickin' that way. Some boxes are just full of neglected worn scratched records, except for the possibles that were only played once or not at all.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:31 pm 

wazz wrote:
I had Ry Cooder Bop Till You Drop years ago. Got rid of it with my others in 1986. Couple songs I liked so I picked up a nice fresh looking copy with the cellphane wrap on the jacket. Sadly, despite the pristine look, there are pops and clicks in the pressing even after an ultrasonic cleaning. The deal is that it was the first digital mastered "rock" record in 79. With the ancient 3M recorders. I cannot say that the digital is any particular advantage over a superb analog mastering, in the case of this one.
There are no pops or clicks on the tape, as far AIK. I've had that cassette for decades.

We were painting and I had been listening to an FM station on an old Sony dual cassette ghetto blaster. My wife came in and punched the Play button and Ry Cooder came on. He's been hiding in there since the early '90's. :lol:

In that player, the tapes drop in with their backs down, heads up, and maybe that kept the cassette in good shape, I don't know. I have one other cassette, a bunch of European garage bands I couldn't part with.
I have my daughter's records stored in our attic.

I remember every song on that JJ Cale Naturally album. Built a cabin in the 70's where the only music was home recorded cassettes.

Does anyone know the significance of the dead rabbit behind the coon? Road kill?

PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:53 pm 

This is the last one I bought about 8-10 years ago.
It's a couple of yodeling music songs sung by Kenny Roberts & The Down Homers.
A.) Who's gonna kiss you when I'm gone
B.) Out where the West winds blow

I had this record at home as a kid in the 50s so it had great nostalgia value to me.

Kenny Roberts has passed now, but when I bought this I actually found him living up in Mass. and we chatted on the phone quite often. he continued to write to me for several years untill his death. I keep his letters with the record.

He told me all his stories of how he got started singing with the Down Homers.
He actually took Bill Haley's place when Bill went into the military.

Bill Haley formed the Comets years later after military service and sang early Rock N Roll.
ie Rock around the Clock etc

These Picture Records were made by Vogue Records

What is Your Vogue Picture Record Worth?
Ref: http://www.voguepicturerecords.org/worth.html

"Some myths have arisen that artificially inflate the perceived value. The most common myth is that Bill Haley (of Rock & Roll fame) played on the Vogue sessions recorded by The Down Homers (on R736 and R786). This myth was shattered by none other than Kenny Roberts, the lead singer of the group. Kenny addressed the attendees of the 1999 AVPRC Convention and told them that Bill Haley left the group shortly before the Vogue recording sessions. This myth has resulted in artificially high values placed on R736 and R786 by many record dealers and collectors - but now you know better. (Click here to read more about the Bill Haley Vogue myth.)"

PostPosted: Oct Sun 08, 2017 9:16 pm 

Never heard of them.
Probably heard yodeling on the radio and tried to ignore it. Just kidding.
Thanks, Peter. :lol:

Those are surely collectible records, and they look good too.

Attachments:
DownHomersLP.jpg
DownHomersLP.jpg [ 49.99 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]
DownHomersLP2.jpg
DownHomersLP2.jpg [ 47.77 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sun 08, 2017 10:09 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Never heard of them.
Probably heard yodeling on the radio and tried to ignore it. Just kidding.
Thanks, Peter. :lol:

Those are surely collectible records, and they look good too.

Thanks... and those two "Cowboy" songs are really nice to listen too.. in the 1940-50s style.

You can find them both on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxFDHOm63A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuUMAbRlCa0

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 3:58 am 

Let 'Em Eat Cake/As Thousands Cheer - RCA Picture Record 1933

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 7:11 pm 

"He's brown as a berry,
From ridin' the prairie ..."
8)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10