Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 28, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What record did you last buy??
PostPosted: Sep Mon 01, 2014 12:28 am 

Well that does sound promising. My contacts are people I talk to at sales etc.

Record store guys are not totally ignorant of the values of some 78's. I seriously doubt they don't at least give them a once through just in case there's some 20's and 30's blues, 50's rock and roll etc.

Keep in mind estate auctions. Most of the time the auction company will mention in the listing whether "records" are 33, 45 or 78 rpm. If not then give them a phone call prior to the sale. They should know. I've bought hundreds at a time for, most of the time, less than $10.

General rule I see on CL is they think because they have a few 60 year old records they must be valuable.

6 months ago I tried to sell 500 78's. My excess. $50. No takers. One inquiry from a guy wanting to pick through for 25 cents each. No thanks. He has gone through my stash before. $1 per record. 1 hour of searching and the guy bought 2 records. Grrrr!!! Nothing extraordinarily valuable. Bob Wills I think on Okeh label.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 01, 2014 2:10 am 

ChrisH664 wrote:
Well that does sound promising. My contacts are people I talk to at sales etc.

Record store guys are not totally ignorant of the values of some 78's. I seriously doubt they don't at least give them a once through just in case there's some 20's and 30's blues, 50's rock and roll etc.

Keep in mind estate auctions. Most of the time the auction company will mention in the listing whether "records" are 33, 45 or 78 rpm. If not then give them a phone call prior to the sale. They should know. I've bought hundreds at a time for, most of the time, less than $10.

General rule I see on CL is they think because they have a few 60 year old records they must be valuable.

6 months ago I tried to sell 500 78's. My excess. $50. No takers. One inquiry from a guy wanting to pick through for 25 cents each. No thanks. He has gone through my stash before. $1 per record. 1 hour of searching and the guy bought 2 records. Grrrr!!! Nothing extraordinarily valuable. Bob Wills I think on Okeh label.

I bit the bullet and called the craigslist guy. He probably doesn't want me cherry picking his collection anymore than you did that guy you mentioned. He wants to sell the entire 1,000ish records for a "reasonable price". I'd have to go check it out, but even then I'd still have no idea what to offer him. I think I'll just stand pat and wait to see what's in the freebies. I talked to my Sister today and they will have to dig them out but they do have them. She says her coworker is still intending to give me hers too!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 02, 2014 12:33 am 

Of course depends on what the guy has but I'd bet he's hoping for around $500 or 50 cents each. Most I ever spent on a lot was $1 each for 175 but these were all 10's, 20's and 30's labels in about as good condition as you could hope for. Original sleeves too. 35 Jimmie Rogers were in this lot.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 02, 2014 4:19 am 

ChrisH664 wrote:
Of course depends on what the guy has but I'd bet he's hoping for around $500 or 50 cents each. Most I ever spent on a lot was $1 each for 175 but these were all 10's, 20's and 30's labels in about as good condition as you could hope for. Original sleeves too. 35 Jimmie Rogers were in this lot.

Now that sounds like a good haul!! When it comes to the Craigslist seller, I don't really need (or want) an instant collection. I try to stick to things that I really like or at least have some oddball appeal. I wouldn't want to bring home 1,000 78's unless he was just about giving them away. It may be a moot point anyway. He relisted the 78's today and in a separate ad was listing his entire collection of vinyl plus his 78's. The ads have both come down so he may have either made a sale or is rethinking listing the 78's both separately and as part of the vinyl lot.

To bring this all back on topic: I cleaned up my latest purchase (The Quintet of the Hot Club of France) and all four disks sound great! I paid $10.00 for it and it was well worth it!!!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 17, 2014 7:23 pm 

Got ten popular 78 albums for $20.00. $2.00 each for intact albums in what look to be above average condition is ok with me! Standard (no pun intended) stuff: Crosby, Jolson, Andrews Sisters, Harry James etc....

PostPosted: Oct Mon 06, 2014 11:16 pm 

Picked up four Elvis 45-rpm Extended Plays for $2.
Despite being a bit on the rough side, they sound great!

Dan

PostPosted: Oct Tue 07, 2014 12:57 am 

Jackie Gleason's "Music to Remember Her;" a Bobby Hackett album,\; George Wright at the Wurlitzer Organ; Dave "Baby" Cortez "The Whistling Organ." That one is too trashed out to play it...didn't notice it until I got it home. But it only cost 25 cents, so no loss. I have noise reduction software, but more concerned about wearing the needle on the heavy scratches.
RW

PostPosted: Oct Tue 07, 2014 3:21 pm 

I am always looking for records that have the music I like to listen to and the last estate sale I attended,
had some good records and all in mint condition with no scratches.

Gales great hits,,,,,,,, Gale Storm
Where is the Circus,,,,,,Hank Thompson
Close up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Buck Owens
The Intimate Jim Reeves
Class of 65,,,,,,,,,,,Floyd Cramer
Still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bill Anderson
Teresa Brewers Greatest hits
The Best of Johnny Ray

PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2014 1:29 am 

I bought Several 78's. Among the best of which are:

I'M A FOOL TO CARE - Les Paul and Mary Ford

ROCK AND ROLL WALTZ - Kay Starr. This is probably the best sounding 78 I currently own. It's virtually noise free. I just wish it were a better song! :lol: The "B" side I'VE CHANGED MY MIND A THOUSAND TIMES is much better.

IN THE OLD TOWN HALL/WHAT'S GONNA BE NEXT - Van and Schenck. According to someone on YouTube who has a copy this is from 1921. Van and Schenck were a comedy team featured in the Ziegfeld Follies. This is my first 78 without a run off groove.

STARDUST/WRAP YOUR TROUBLES IN DREAMS - Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra.

ROCKIN' CHAIR - Roy Eldrige and his Orchestra. Great version!

IF YOU SAW HER THROUGH MY EYES (You'd See Her Differently) - Carl Smith (doing his best Hank Williams impression)

GIVE ME MORE, MORE, MORE (Of Your Kisses) - Lefty Frizzell. #1 in 1952! Great stuff!

Those are the highlights, but I also got Andrews Sisters, King Cole Trio, Mills Brothers, a couple of Columbia promos and four of those TOPS knock off records which are only good for skeet shooting, but it is fun to compare the knock off recordings to the originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2014 3:12 pm 

Yesterday I got TOMMY by THE WHO...

Its pretty good!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2014 3:31 pm 

Dude111 wrote:
Yesterday I got TOMMY by THE WHO...

Its pretty good!!

"It's a boy Mrs. Walker, it's a boy!"

PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2014 8:43 pm 

Just received this new LP today from Hastings' eBay store: See You There, Glen Campbell's very last album.(2013) Very clean lyrics, great backup band and singers. Glen will never sing again as he is an altheimer's facility in Nashville. I also have his 2012 album, Ghost on the Canvas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct Thu 09, 2014 10:50 pm 

Today I got a Record :)

Marvin Gaye - Midnight love

PostPosted: Oct Mon 13, 2014 7:59 pm 

Two nice album finds, both in very good condition. I found the Bob Wilber album in an antique mall in NC, and the Brenda Lee album in a thrift store here in Richmond.

Attachment:
BWBL.jpg
BWBL.jpg [ 105.22 KiB | Viewed 5209 times ]

Post subject: Re: What record you last buy?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 28, 2014 3:46 am 

Duane Eddy's 16 Greatest Hits On his original label "Jamie"
charlie

Attachments:
eddy cover.jpg
eddy cover.jpg [ 153.45 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
eddy disc.jpg
eddy disc.jpg [ 239.55 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 28, 2014 3:56 am 

Nice. I was a big fan of the "Twangy Guitar" back in the day. :D

PostPosted: Oct Fri 31, 2014 11:18 pm 

The 45 RPM "You Talk Too Much" by Joe Jones.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 28, 2014 4:56 am 

Haven't checked in to this thread in a few weeks, so here's the latest LPs (45s will post later): Jazztone Society Jazz Sampler (10") with artists such as Sidney Bechet, Art Tatum Trio, Errol Garner Trio; 1955. Yma Sumac with Les Baxter "The Voice of the Xtabay" one of the Holy Grail of exotica record collectors, Capitol Records 10"; A 2 LP set "Christmas At Radio City Music Hall" with Dick Leibert at the organ; 2 Ameco Code Course LPs, Advanced Class and Extra Class; "With A Song In My Heart" by Jane Froman, Capitol Records 10"; "Adventure In The Sun" by Percy Faith; "The Great Sound of Les Elgart." Columbia record of Sidney Bechet; "Songs For The Jet Set" by Tony Bennett; "Leroy Anderson Conducts 'Blue Tango and Other Favorites"; "The Drum Suite" by Manny Albam and Ernie Wilkins and Their Orchestra; "Kenton In Hi Fi" by Stan Kenton; Jackie Gleason's "White Christmas" by Pickwick. This is a comp from his other Christmas albums. "Sing Me A Song of the Islands" by Alfred Apaka; Jose Melis "Great Movie Themes"; And Henry Mancini's "The Music From 'Peter Gunn.' " That is my second copy. The first, the outer jacket is falling apart. The latest one is close to mint.
RW

PostPosted: Nov Fri 28, 2014 4:47 pm 

I attended another estate sale and picked up these 78s in very good condition
I just told momma goodbye/Wedding bells,,, Hank Williams
Never again/ Lovesick blues,,,Hank Williams

China doll,,,Slim Whitman
Indian love call,,,Slim Whitman

PostPosted: Nov Fri 28, 2014 5:13 pm 

Now, the 45s list. 4 song EP by George Shearing; Carmen Cavallaro (The Poet of the Piano); Jackie Gleason 4 song EP from "The Torch With The Blue Flame" set; Joe Loco Quintet on red vinyl (Fantasy label); Shirley Scott, organist (jazzy); Now the good stuff: "An Evening With The George Shearing Quintet, 4 song/2 record EP with the outer jacket; 3 Dave Brubeck singles with jacket-each has a different picture of Dave on the front; and the Dave Brubeck Quartet at the College of the Pacific; The Brubeck 45s have a slightly different line-up of musicians; Burbeck of course, and Paul Desmond. Also Ron Crotty, Joe Dodge, Lloyd Davis, Cal Tjader. Nice jazz stuff.
RW

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next