Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Stereo Lps and 45's
PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2015 3:39 am 

In lieu of my new 1962 stereo console with aux speakers I have decided to take a survey of everyone's favorite stereo lp's and 45's. I am limited to my own collection but here are some favs!

LP
1. Rolling Stones- their satanic majesties request
- after hearing this album with a little more seperation I truly believe they acheived a 3d sound like the 3d album cover. It feels like a little world where the party is happening.

2. Electric Ladyland
- blew me away, a lot of fun! 15min voodoo chile is mind blowing

...please add to the list!

Post subject: Re: Favorite Stereo Lps and 45's
PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2015 4:22 am 

Santana is absolutely the best fidelity of anything you'll ever hear. I truly believe Carlos Santana is the best guitarist in the world. He's been playing since the 1960s. I currently have 20 Santana LP's, and 2 more are on their way. I can't get enough of Santana's music.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2015 12:33 pm 

Word is, Carlos is getting the surviving original band members (Greg Rollie, Neal Schon, Michael Shrieve, Jose Chipito Areas) back together for a new recording and possible tour!!!!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2015 3:14 pm 

I think one of the best sounding LPs I have is the 1975 album "Basie Big Band" on Pablo records. The engineers made very good use of dynamic range, and the loud parts will just about melt the wallpaper.

Attachment:
BasieBigBand.jpg
BasieBigBand.jpg [ 23.7 KiB | Viewed 4543 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2015 4:43 pm 

I like the early "hyper-stereo" recordings from 1958 to 1963 or so. Particularly RCA "Living Stereo" and Decca discs. My preference is in country music from the early Nashville sound era. "On The Rebound" by Floyd Cramer and "Mississippi Riverboat" by Del Wood are two that come to mind. I believe that "hyper-stereo" sounds better on console stereos, like my Magnavox instruments, that are not renowned for great stereo seperation............GREG

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2015 10:01 am 

Rock:

Steely Dan's Aja. Home At Last is my reference recording for initial system setup (placement/EQ). 'Dan' is said to have been a studio purist. 'HAL' is primarily piano/bass/drums, all of which notoriously difficult to capture the actual sound of the instrument. When done 'right', one can readily tell.

Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus live/superdisc. Better than being there. Love to spend (a long) lunch with the engineer, how he did it.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 29, 2015 8:07 am 

Here are a few singles that have nice stereo mixes, roughly from oldest to newest:
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles
Lets Live For Today - The Grass Roots
Right Place, Wrong Time - Dr. John
The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me - Peter Brown
Eminence Front - The Who
Sunglasses At Night - Corey Hart

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2015 6:07 pm 

Anything Dean Martin. 8) . Jackie Gleason and His Orchestra. Ray Noble and Al Bowlly

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2015 6:39 pm 

Any of the three "Folk Scene" CD's. To my knowledge they were never released on vinyl.

Everything electronic involved with the recording was either purpose selected or hand-built, and is some of the most lifelike recording I've ever heard. All done live with no editing or 'fixes'.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/from-the- ... 0000598602

Too bad no more will be produced. :cry:

Dennis

PostPosted: May Sat 16, 2015 3:08 am 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
I have 2 Chick Corea piano improv LPs I picked up at Goodwill, They were both promo albums. They both sound great.

PostPosted: May Sat 16, 2015 4:54 pm 

My favorite LP is ''Big City Lights'' by ''Grady Martin and the slew foot five''.
It is not necessarily the quality of sound ,but in my case it is the quality of the music.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 26, 2015 12:24 am 

St. Pepper which I consider the greatest work ever committed to wax.

David

PostPosted: May Fri 12, 2017 6:57 am 

I agree with the Living Stereo albums having great stereo sound. It's much more direct. Any more suggestions of these albums from this period?

PostPosted: May Fri 12, 2017 7:00 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
transfermotion wrote:
I agree with the Living Stereo albums having great stereo sound. It's much more direct.
Any more suggestions of these albums from this period?
ABC/Command, Grand Award, Bel Canto, Mayfair, Project 3 etc etc etc

You do know that Dick Shory actually had his musicians walk around the studio in their stocking feet to get most of the Stereo Action panning effects. There's a film of one of their sessions from the late 50s on YouTube synched up to the stereo take of the LP - and it matches perfectly.

PostPosted: May Fri 12, 2017 8:03 pm 

I have only one stereo 45...The Doors' "Hello, I Love You." For me the best stereo are the Command LPs where they have a passage in the left, then one in the right, then in both...and repeat. Most had Enoch Light involved. And then LPs by Gleason, Faith and Conniff (without the vocals); Newer LPs, The Eagles "Desperado" and "On The Border." Of course, there are others, but I don't want to make a huge post.
RW

PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2017 10:08 am 

A lot of good stuff mentioned here!

I have one of those RCA Stereo Action albums; "Dynamica", by Ray Martin, from 1961. The oldest stereo 45 in my collection is "It's All In The Game" by Tommy Edwards from 1958; that has to be one of the first.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2017 5:18 pm 

radiowizard wrote:
Passage in the left, then one in the right, then in both...and repeat.
I grew up with all those stereo-demo (and quadraphonic-demo) tapes and LPs - but I also grew up listening to unmixed 3- 4- and 8-track music stems - so when I went into music magnet school in the 4th grade, I thought it was going to be like John Denver ``comin' home to somewhere I never been to before'' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWooDCkkkVQ
which BTW is a GREAT sounding and very wide mix along w its flip side ``West Virginia''. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypss_RzvEKA

But because of my affinity for ``old demo-tapes scored and recorded to show off the medium and not for ``serious'' people to listen to - I failed out of my first Music Composition class in middle school because I was re-scoring classical and light orchestral pieces in the same vein.

Fortunately he went to another school over the Christmas break and the new professor was probably only 10 or 12 years older than me and was therefore an easily-impressed kid of the mid-and-late 50s when these early stereo demo tapes and LPs came out in the first place.

I still only got a B-plus bec I insisted on using ``improper'' chord voicings (e.g I 6/4 where a I 5/3 ``belonged'' there etc) - but then over the summer he got interested in jazz and avant-garde music - so i didn't have to worry abt it after that.

Sundown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rR7E6NfY4 and Edmund Fitzgerald https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0K6ojmGZA by Gordon Lightfoot is another great mix although I life the `88 Fitzgerald https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9_nhrQpSqw better than the `76.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 12:49 am 

I had really no knowledge of Command Records or Enoch Light till this year, cherry picking the thrift bins. Saw some of his early stuff using the 35MM magnetic film mastering, and the jackets and surfaces were in excellent condition, so I tried one. Now let me tell you that is not hype, to say the fidelity of those recordings sounds state of the art to me, even if some of the stereo seems too wide. I have a fairly near top drawer Denon direct drive and a Denon MC on it. The realism and slam/dynamics and quietness is amazing on those LPs. Of course after the first one I sought out more. Had to pass on one or two that looked beat up and scuffed scratched, that was sad. Shows me the potential for the format is much greater than most records ever achieve. I would have to say that those 35MM mastered discs probably could not be fully appreciated with most of the playback equipment that was contemporary to their release, which did not help.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 5:39 pm 

wazz wrote:
I had really no knowledge of...35MM magnetic film mastering...
Lots of Mercury Living Presence Bob/Wilma Fine from the same period used the process - often recorded locally in Chicago or in Minneapolis or Cleveland as dictated by the orchestra.

There's also a handful of proprietary Everest and some other small independent titles as well - mostly avant-garde (light classical-esque jazz-esque etc) some of which are actually pretty nice - but most of which even the most hardcore avant-garde listener would have never heard of. Look up some Shelby Flint or Janie Cribbs or Nancy Bryan - some of which spill over into the Super45Sonic category below - for some good examples.

Madacy and LaserLight and Barnaby and lots of other Canadian budget CDs picked `em up for occasional re-release - but the originals sound MUCH better.

Even the earlier-than-that 35MM 200-mil optical track recordings 3-per-film while not high fidelity due to the high noise floor are also great to listen to on modern gear. Some were mixed to mono early on and the original optical multi's do not survive - but for those that do and that have either been transferred to 35MM mag in the 50s or survived long enough to be transfferred to digital in the 80s - they are also a sight to behold.

A couple I really like a lot is the 45 RPM remastering of the 1942 Monteux Scheherezade
recorded both locally in-house at the War Memorial building which is what people have heard for the last 70 years but also recorded split bass and treble with 2 tracks on 35MM optical film sent over Class A phone lines to what would later become Todd-AO/Glen Glenn Sound in Hollywood.

While there was not enough there to create stereo as the two Fairchild condenser microphones used to record the session were both mounted above the podium - it still gave the 50th Anniversary re-mastering engineers a little more leeway than they would have had. Unfortunately this mix has never been released on CD yet as that remastering took pieces from the metal molding parts and some of one side of a vinyl transcription pressed therefrom in 1946.

Ormandy's Rhapsody in Blue is another recorded-on-film gem from 1942 worth listening to in its 45 RPM audiophile LP reincarnation. If you are familiar with the 78's of either of these - or can find them easily in thrift shops etc along w the aforementioned Kostalanetz Grand Cyn Suite it'll give you a good impression of how good and wide 35MM optical tracks can sound if done right.
wazz wrote:
I have a fairly near top drawer Denon direct drive and a Denon MC on it.
Many of the higher-end turntables like that have a ``secret'' for playing 78's if that speed is not otherwise featured. Simply push the ``33'' and ``45'' buttons together and they will sum to 78. Just replace the stylus with one of the appropriate dimensions (usually 3 mil) and go to town.

Since you are apparently just barely delving into the world of audiophile formats - you might check out some of the Super45Sonic series from the 70s (mostly classical on Angel - some of which are also SQ quadraphonic at the same time) and L O T S of jazz (Charlie Byrd, Tommy Mottola, Laurindo Almeida) and avant-garde music on e.g. Crystal Clear Records of San Francisco.

They resurrected that format a few years back and have put out some of the classic rock and pop albums of the period on 180/200G vinyl (some colored with grainless dye) - and most of THOSE blow anything else out of the water as well.

Sometimes you miss the original grunge that was endemic to the original album (DSOTM, Jimi Hendrix AYE? etc) that you grew up with - but you will very soon get used to the clean sounding versions.

There's also the Half-Speed-Mastered titles you might check out - although with those you have to watch out bec endemic to the process - you trade headroom for some bass-contour effect that muddies up the sound a little bit.

The native to HS labels (Nautilus, Mobile Fidelity etc) usually do better than the audiophile divisions of the labels (CBS Half-Speed) but they are both good in their own ways. it just depends on how far above the sound of a commercial pressing you want to go.

Some bass contour effect can be corrected with a little tweak of the playback EQ but most of the time you can't mask it and you just have to get e.g. certain KEF Tannoy or Cerwin Vega speakers that ``are designed to be the inverse'' of the problem. No it never quite works out just like Dynagroove didn't quite work out - but - flaws notwithstanding - it IS still better than the commercial pressings by FAR.

Hopefully you are playing your LPs with some incarnation or other of the Helio-Hedral stylus to get the best reproduction (Tetradhedral, Quadrahedral, Nude Square Shank Hyper-Elliptic, MicroLine, Line Contact etc etc etc.

Even on crappy YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smtj1qT1m28 you can still tell a difference even on new commercially-pressed vinyl (vs audiophile) - but the difference is even greater on quasi-trashed-up vinyl because it can read portions of the groove previously worn out and distorted by a conical or even a regular elliptical stylus.

Too bad they don't make them in any other size but stereo LP (0.7 mil) cuz it wd be nice to have em for the various transcriptions (2.3-2.7 mil) or various 78's (2.9-3.3 mil)

And then there's original 7-1/2 IPS 4-track and 2-track reel-to-reel of the 50s and early 60s that a lot of guys are re-discovering - maybe up til about 1968 or so when they started dubbing for 3-3/4 playback and using quasi-voice-grade tape and edge cuts (usually in the Dollar Bin) instead of master quality center cuts like they used to.

But all that kind of stuff is up to the listener. If you can tell a half-inch 3-track or 4-track period work part mixed down and mastered onto a quarter inch 15 IPS 2 track and cut onto an LP from the 4-track 35MM mag incarnation then you are ripe for discovering all the other audiophile formats.

You been bit by the bug now boy. Ain't no turnin back from here (evil laugh).

PostPosted: Oct Sat 14, 2017 2:35 pm 

I got at least one Everest record that is mastered on 35MM at the same thrift. Well I did read up on the whole thing about 35MM mag recording, or as much as I could find online. To supplement the rather warm and rolled off Denon, I am bidding a vintage Grace cart right now. They are supposed to be fantastic if working right. I am still in my hunting bargains phase of vinyl versus the big dollar modern pressings. I did find a sealed direct to disc pressing in one of those lots but the content seems iffy to me, worth more left sealed than playing it once and then selling it! Seems the bins with alot of classical records from estates are much better taken care of than more pop music collections. Although I have seen a few gotta haves, only to pull the disc out and notice it scratched to hell and dirty!