Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite Stereo Lps and 45's
PostPosted: Oct Sat 14, 2017 4:22 pm 

transfermotion wrote:
In lieu of my new 1962 stereo console with aux speakers I have decided to take a survey of everyone's favorite stereo lp's and 45's. I am limited to my own collection but here are some favs!

2. Electric Ladyland
- blew me away, a lot of fun! 15min voodoo chile is mind blowing
!

Indeed! VooDoo child (slight return) was recorded because somebody didn't believe the first had been done in a single track. SO Jimi sez come watch me do it then!

Another fun one, although not in the same league as Jimi: The Cars, Moving in Stereo. I remember laying on my back in Neil Wade's basement with the speakers in opposite corners listening to that. Wow man......... :roll:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 14, 2017 10:11 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
wazz wrote:
I have seen a few gotta haves, only to pull the disc out and notice it scratched to hell and dirty!
Then you'll have to get one of those e.g. Nitty Gritty type auto record cleaners and learn how to use the Australian grime lifter fluid (or the wood-glue equivalent at 1/5th the price) etc etc etc.

Of course if the dirty record is a commercially-pressed version of anything that got mastered and remastered a hundred different times over the years and pressed in the millions - then you were right to discard it and wait for a better condition - or audiophile - copy to show up.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 28, 2017 12:33 am 

Need a Blues album with good stereo separation of the guitars? Howlin' Wolf - The London Sessions.
Clapton on one side, Hubert Sumlin on the other. It is a bit over-produced, not a live recording. But good for setting up stereo.
Most blues by the masters of the 50's, including the Wolf, of course, was recorded in mono, naturally.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 3:18 am 

For a more modern album with great low and high extension, Massive Attack "Mezzanine" sounds amazing.