Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 22, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Catchy Afrikaans Pop Record from about 10 yrs ago
PostPosted: Dec Fri 30, 2016 3:40 am 

This is proof a song don't have to be in English to be catchy

Kurt Darren - Ek's Lief Vir Jou (I Love You)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vml5f1En0pw

A friend-of-a-friend was killed in a car wreck with his fiancee last week coming back from skiing.

They were going to get married New Year's Eve - but instead since everything was already bought and paid for - both sets of parents said they wanted it to go on - as their double-funeral.

My buddy called me and said he was supposed to DJ the party and couldn't because he'd have too much trouble not crying between all the records and over the various instrumental breaks - so I'm doing it instead.

Both of them being part-Dutch (which Afrikaans is a form of) I looked up all manner of Dutch and Afrikaans pop artists to come up with a playlist.

They were all ``alright'' - i.e. enough to keep people's minds at least slightly off the tragedy
(pretty hard when the caskets are going to be present) but I needed a real uptempo-con-tearjerker for midnight and wishing in the New Year and ``sending them off on their journey'' - and ran across this Afrikaans power ballad/dance track.

Yes we are all learning the Afrikaans to sing it over the instrumental version (the other track
on the CD-Single I found on eBay last week.)

Since both of theirfathers (who hate pop music from ANY country) both fell apart when we played it for `em Sunday - and said they wanted to lead off singing at midnight - I think it'll be great.

the ``other side'' of this (bonus track on a CD Single) is another B side that's better than it's A-side - even tho neither one charted anymore than the other one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOe40pdEEA Net vir Jou Bedoel Gevoel dueting with Charlize Theron which I found on a Buffalax under Hold My Farts (Hou My Vas) and Vat My Hart (you can listen to hear for yourself what the Buffalax to that sounds like) which I am gonna use tomorrow night too.

Or maybe it's the other way around being this is the newer track - maybe the other one and the instrumental track for it is a bonus track on the CD single for THIS.

Their mothers and fathers have been learning this one since Sunday as well. Being they are all part Dutch like I said it's a lot easier for them to learn `em than me.

If anybody has better spelling of the Afrikaans lyrics, they can put them on YouTube so we can phoneticize them ourselves (right now we're just sounding it out to learn it for Saturday night).

Happy New Year.