Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 22, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: R.I.P. - Rich Conaty - WFUV - Big Broadcaster
PostPosted: Jan Sun 01, 2017 1:30 am 

In my opinion, Rich Conaty had the very best music program devoted to popular music from before WW-I to just before WW-II. For 43 years and over 2200 broadcasts he was there for us. He lost his battle with cancer yesterday at about 62 years old. I was fortunate enough to record a couple hundred hours to CDs over the years so he will still live in my little world 'via transcription' for as long as I'm around I'm thinking.

Robert

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. - Rich Conaty - WFUV - Big Broadcaster
PostPosted: Jan Sun 01, 2017 3:30 am 

RIP Rich, Big Broadcast in the sky!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Conaty

http://www.wfuv.org/content/rich-conaty-1954-2016

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:56 am 

I've been away from this forum for a while, and just read this topic. I didn't know that he he had died, and just caught his show last year again (online), after not listening to it for a couple of decades. I was amazed that he still sounded the same after about 25 years! His show was really one-of-a-kind, and he knew the music well. He will be missed. R.I.P. :(

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:49 am 

OMG... I listen to his show every Sunday night in the car on my way out to dinner and back home.
I had no idea he was fighting cancer.
He did mention a few times having surgery.. but didn't make it sound like it was that serious.
RIP

Danny Stiles a few years ago too.
I used to listen to Danny on WCTC in New Brunswick, NJ ...
That was back in 1955 when i was in 7th grade after school radio in the beginning of RocknRoll
era.
Never guessed that he and I would become friends 50 years later .... when he was in his 80s.
I started rebuilding these old radios and discovered Danny was STILL broadcasting all the great music from the 40s -50s jazz and pop and big bands.
He had a gathering of fans on Friday nights in a nearby restaurant... and we met there and became friends and I'd go to his annual birthday bash parties w/13pc orchestra playing all the big band music.
We stayed friends till he passed in his early 90s.
He used to call me at home and chat... and make shout-outs to me on the air too. Very nice guy with a memory sharp as a razor.
Rip

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 7:41 pm 

I had listened to Danny Stiles in the 1980's, I think he was on WEVD. He had more sponsors that he would announce than music played. He was another one-of-a-kind broadcaster that was on the radio for decades. Another unique and wonderful person was the late Joe Franklin. His WOR-TV channel 9 show was on forever! Before that he was on WJZ-TV starting in 1951, which then became WABC-TV channel 7. He also had a radio show on WOR-AM 710.