Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Who - Live at Leeds
PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 3:10 am 

OH YEAH!! :D Now this is good music!! While testing some tubes I thought i'd make this post! Anyone remember when it came out in 1970? I have an original LP from 1970 that I am listening to. I unfortunately don't remember when it came out, as I am 15, but it certainly is one of my favorite albums. :) Would sound good on a pair of Heathkit mono-block amps!

-CT101

Post subject: Re: The Who - Live at Leeds
PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 10:01 am 

Tommy - the Rock Opera. Magic! Still got the LP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_(album)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 4:03 pm 

I recently transferred my Quadraphenia CDs over to a flash drive and listened to that album again while I was on a short road trip in the Z06. I don't think I have listened to it since the 1980s but now that it is on a flash drive I expect to be playing it more in the car.

The Who made some incredible music.

My 13 year old daughter is still trying to figure out my musical tastes since The Who is residing peacefully on the same flash drive that contains a lot of great 1960s Motown artists including Curtis Mayfield, The Spinners, Tammi Terrell, and Al Green. You have to keep the teenagers wondering :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 8:01 pm 

"Who's Next" is still one of my favorites. Classic!

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 8:20 pm 

Long ago, in another life, my girlfriend and I saw the Who. They were the backup band along with the Blues Magoos for Hermans Hermits. Nineteen sixty five...When you wern't even alive. :shock:

People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Talkin bout My Generation...My Generation Baby

I think a good album of Who is "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy". I have it...On vinyl of course. 8)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 9:14 pm 

People try to put us down...............so simple, so perfect, so instantly recognizable :D ......whenever I'm testing a restored old radio and I play something classic like this, I confidently think "That's the first time that came through the speaker."

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 11:07 pm 

Who's Next is one of the greats.

I love this Youtube video with old clips of the band and a few Mods and Rockers thrown in (I Can't Explain):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3h--K5928M

I'm having a hard time not trying to go to Vegas and see them at Caesars Palace next month :wink:
We saw them here years ago but Keith was gone by then.

R.I.P. Keith and John

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 11:17 pm 

Got to cast my vote for "Who's Next" also.

Strange that I can still remember walking to the music shop and buying that cassette.

Tim

PostPosted: Jul Wed 26, 2017 11:38 pm 

The Who has always been one of my all time favorite bands. In addition to the ones already mentioned, Won't Get Fooled Again is one of the greats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Imagine my thrilled surprise when CSI premiered with none other than The Who's "Who are You" for their theme song. I thought, oh man, anything with this level of taste has got to be good. And it was. :mrgreen: The other CSIs wisely followed suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz1zQsiScY

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 12:03 am 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:
OH YEAH!! :D Now this is good music!! ...... as I am 15, but it certainly is one of my favorite albums.

Glad to hear some of you young ones are enjoying some good, old fashioned rock. I was 6 years old in 1970, but I remember a lot of the mid and later 1970's albums when they debuted. My 16 yr old daughter plays classic rock all the time.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 12:24 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
The Who has always been one of my all time favorite bands. In addition to the ones already mentioned, Won't Get Fooled Again is one of the greats......

If you like Won't Get Fooled Again (and who doesn't?) then you'll like this live version (except for the split screen, it is wonderful):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_96uKZ7yQ

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 1:02 am 

Hey you are 15, you probably did not ever hear about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 1:42 am 

The Who are great classic rock bands up there with The Stones and the Beatles.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 2:23 am 

It actually took me some time to realize what the title was referring to.

Attachments:
who.JPG
who.JPG [ 117.57 KiB | Viewed 1695 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 27, 2017 4:12 am 

What about The Guess Who? Ok, maybe not as great as The Who...

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 4:05 am 

Yes, "Who's Next" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are two of my favorites, and pretty much anything from that album is great! I love them! I like another one called "By Numbers" too, that one has some good songs on it, and I actually have two copies of the original LP, both barely played. I have over 200 i'd say of LPs from my dad's collection, along with his 70's HI-FI system, which I will inherit.

All music is from the 60's and 70's mostly, my favorite eras of music! Right now i'm listening to a band called The Stooges. I still have more tubes than records though! I have around 2 boxes of NOS tubes, so around 240 i'd say, and 3 boxes of good but used tubes. So all together I have around 450 tubes. Also, sorry for not responding sooner, for some reason I haven't been getting a topic reply notification.

Life is good, listening to good music such as The Who, testing tubes, listening to my Hallicrafters S-40A that I recapped awhile back. I was just doing some experiments in my lab with one of my RF signal generators, a Heathkit signal tracer, and RCA VoltOhmyst VTVM connected together. I had the generator output an audio tone, had the tracer hooked up to hear it, and put the VTVM on the 1.5 and 5 volt ranges in AC mode, and would vary the audio out, and watch the VTVM move as I drove a higher or lower signal into the tracer. Only problem I have is that my VTVM is so sensitive on low AC ranges that just having the test leads connected to nothing causes the meter to deflect, and touching my finger on it will also do that. But once I connected the meter up it went to zero like it should. I'd imagine if I fed music into the tracer, or modulated the generator with it, that I could get the VTVM to act like a VU meter, to the varying signal. :P

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 4:07 am 

DKinYORKpa wrote:
People try to put us down...............so simple, so perfect, so instantly recognizable :D ......whenever I'm testing a restored old radio and I play something classic like this, I confidently think "That's the first time that came through the speaker."

I feel the same way about that! I play "My Generation" a lot anyways, thinking of everyone else glued to their phones, while I restore radios and work with tube electronics. Oh, and for a phone I use my 1961 Western Electric model 500 rotary desk phone!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 4:09 am 

majoco wrote:
Tommy - the Rock Opera. Magic! Still got the LP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_(album)

It is!! The first Who album I ever listened to, around when I was 7 or so. My dad got me into them, and so many other bands of the era. I have the LP too, and play it quite a bit!

PostPosted: Jul Sat 29, 2017 4:10 am 

wazz wrote:
Hey you are 15, you probably did not ever hear about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster

I have actually! Pretty hectic! The Who were known for being one of the loudest bands too.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 12, 2017 1:20 am 

Not a big Who fan, but Happy Jack is a damn good tune!