Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How many of you still listen to new music?
PostPosted: Sep Fri 01, 2017 11:35 pm 

Things seem to go in cycles for me. In the early 2000s, the modern AC stations, which I had previously enjoyed, flipped formats, and CHR (aka. Top-40) seemed to be changing in such a way that I stopped caring much for it. At that time, my listening started to migrate primarily to nostalgia-formatted stations, jazz, and talk radio. I had a sense then that Generation-X was no longer the focus of the music industry's output (as it had been just a few years prior).

Years later, I discovered Amy Winehouse, Adele, Lorde, and Hozier. I mention these specifically because all of them were born after 1980--the cutoff year for Generation-X.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 16, 2017 12:37 am 

Check out Panic! at the Disco. Lead singer Brendan Urie has a hell of a set of pipes on him. Particularly "Death of a Bachelor", their rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody", "This is Gospel (piano version)", Hallelujah", The Emperor's New Clothes".... I enjoy their whole catalog, however...
Twenty One Pilots is another new group(?)(There are only 2 of them -Tyler Joseph & Josh Dun) They have songs like "House of Gold", "Stressed Out", "Holding On To You", a great cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You", "Ride".... Another catalog of great stuff, IMHO.....
Just my $.02

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 5:14 am 

I gave up on new music years ago. I can’t stand most new music nor the degenerates that perform it. I have a few albums from bands that limit their CD’s to a 100 copies, if that gives you any idea how obscure they are.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 8:41 pm 

I listen to new music all the time. That's based on the principle that any music that you haven't listened to yet is new. Being young during the sixties and seventies, I was expected to enjoy and listen to rock music. Most of it never did anything for me. during the 80's I started listening to big bands, the main one being Glenn Miller. In the early 90's I started listening to jazz artists of the 30's and 40's. When I hear an artist I've not heard before and like, I look up and purchase their CD's. The music might be 50 to 70 years old, but it is new to me and I keep on finding new works that become new favorites. Here is a little piece that is 77 years old, but it's 5 years since I've first listened to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fiV3iWxko

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 11:56 am 

^Yeah, you have a point. There are a lot of contexts to be taken, and yours is definitely agreeable — I dig your definition of new! :D

Here's my take: If the new generation music is to be taken, yes, I do listen to it — be it mainstream or underground. :D

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 8:24 am 

I'm 58 years old and most of the music I listen to is from this century and most of it is not popular on the radio.

I'm totally burned out on "Classic Rock" because I've been force fed a diet of it at work for the last 30 years, I never liked it much to begin with to be honest, I was more into 50's music at that time and still like to listen to it from time to time but my tastes have changed to newer music, not the new music that's one the radio day in and day out but more obscure stuff from Indie bands and labels.

"Alt Country" is a particular favorite, Slim Cessna, Neko Case (amazing talent), Laura Cantrell to name a few, also stuff like The Mountain Goats, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Interpol, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Calexico, Clem Snide, Devotchka, The Handsome Family and so on.

And I'm always looking for new stuff.